Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

Must be the old "Recordlabel wants to think that releasing new Merzbow CD will automatically sell a lot"-syndrome.

It's the same with some other groups working today - too well known for labels to reject material. In some cases I don't even think label listens to master properly before agreeing on release. Just assuming. Maybe if he got rejected a lot material would be more engaging? However, I tend to think that Mr. Akita really is TIRED of noise, and I wouldn't blame him after 30 years in the business. "Still going weak" as they say...

Vehemency

It's those annoying (electronic?) drums that put me off from newer Merzbow material. Totally unfitting if you ask me. I certainly haven't heard every new Merzbow release but all those I've heard have included drums.

...except, logically, the recent compilation of 1991-2001 tracks "Another Merzbow Records" (http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Another-Merzbow-Records/release/2130937) which I found interesting and good.

THE RITA HN

I always thought that PINKREAM (1995 Dirter Promotions) was MERZBOW's masterpiece.
In regards to releases not mentioned too often - I always liked ELECTRIC SALAD (1996) as well.

yog

What about those remasters of early tapes on Blossoming Noise? Any good?

Cementimental

Pinkream is really great, the first Merzbow cd I bought, by virtue of it being the only one they had at the punk record stall in Newport market back in the day.

P-K

END OKTOBER 2012   (VOD 104-108)
VOD108: Merzbow 10Lp-Box  "Lowest Music & Arts 1980-1983" w. Book  (plus 7" / T-Shirt for members)

FreakAnimalFinland

uh! VOD boxes are getting bigger. Kluster 8LP box, Conrad S 8 LP box...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Is there anything more than in MERZBOX?

Reprobate

I've never really given Merzbow a try, mainly because I find his discography to be so overwhelming. It seems like Venereology has been mentioned multiple times. Is that a good album to start with?

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Reprobate on April 04, 2012, 10:58:46 PM
I've never really given Merzbow a try, mainly because I find his discography to be so overwhelming. It seems like Venereology has been mentioned multiple times. Is that a good album to start with?

One of the best in his discography.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Reprobate on April 04, 2012, 10:58:46 PM

Pulse Demon is also an excellent place to start. Album is maddening.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

acsenger

QuoteI've never really given Merzbow a try, mainly because I find his discography to be so overwhelming. It seems like Venereology has been mentioned multiple times. Is that a good album to start with?

It's a great album to start with. There are lots of other albums that could be listed but here are some that I rarely see mentioned and I have a soft spot for them:

Spiral Honey
Electric Salad (very varied and organic)
Tauromachine
Maschinenstil (groovy at times)
Aqua Necromancer
Vibractance (completely different from everything else I've heard from him; a lot of drones and electroacoustic-influenced)
Door Open at 8 AM
split 10" with DJ Spooky (very rhythmic; it's a remix from a track from one of his late 80s albums)
Sha Mo 3000 (psychedelic and at times groovy)

bitewerksMTB

Artificial Invagination mCD & the live in the US cd that came out around the same time are 2 faves that I actually kept. They may have not been released around the same time but Masami sent them to me in the same package. I have Green Wheels too. Remember it having some good stuff. One of my fave things about Merzbow is the live performance on the Oh! Moro video with him banging on a huge ppiece of metal in a large theater? with no audience. I saw him do his laptop noise in Austin. He blew the PA right from the get-go.

Bloated Slutbag

Noisembryo

Green Wheels

And to a lesser extent, Mercurated, feature full-bodied densities which for me communicate Merzbow at the peak of his powers.

After that, it's hard to choose, though there are plenty...

Metalvelodrome 4xCD could be in there if it were edited down to two or three discs; retaining the awesome live track with even more awesome intro, re- polite young lady quiety informing listeners, "The performace will be starting now. Would you please move closer," followed shortly by an almightly metal-bashing racket... retaining also the better compilation tracks, especially the superbulous "Travelling"; but, cutting the occasionally slap-dash studio work down to one disc, tops.

Other notables:
- title track from Psychorazer while unspectacular compositionally speaking hits just the kind of sonorities I like
- ditto the opening track from Venereology
- the absolute slayer off the 7" split with MSBR
- compilation tracks from World Record and Dry Lungs V
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

cipher chris

Agree with Artificial Invagination, Green Wheels and the MSBR split 7".  All still available with a bit of searching.  I always found Metalvelodrome a bit overrated although it has its moments.