Axebreaker

Started by abusepotential, July 16, 2017, 11:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abusepotential

A new Locrian side project. It's pretty funny that he thinks this stance is at all transgressive, IMO.

"As a longtime fan of power electronics, I want to directly confront the right-wing posturing (and beliefs) inherent in its genesis as a genre and push it in a direction that uses its tropes to confront the vile ideology now enthroned in the executive branch and its supporters. More simply, I hope you want to get out and punch a Nazi, burn the traitor's flag, and confront white supremacy wherever you find it. So much for the tolerant left."

https://www.discogs.com/artist/5667575-Axebreaker

Locrian sucks and this project probably does too. I haven't wasted my time listening.

Speaking of posturing, people like Hannum are going to get more than they bargained for one of these days. I can't wait.

Anyone else have an opinion?
abusepotential.bandcamp.com

birthcontrolnow.blogspot.com

Duncan

I'd hope he also attempts to subvert the trope of sounding identical to everything else in the field but I'll guess that won't be the case. If there are no dalek flanger vox I'll support it. No matter how shit it ends up being, I'd bet money that neither he nor anyone else with strong feelings one way or the other would pass a blind listening test about what stuff is 'good' and what stuff is 'bad'.

Peterson

Judging by their Twitter, he'd be at home on Ascetic House, both reflect the current climate. His anti-Nazi stance and themes are nothing new. There'll always be good and bad shit on both "sides," sound-wise, whether it's innovative or derivative. And frankly it sounds like you're one of the key targets he'd like to piss off, probably should just ignore folks like him and go with what he means by the "executive branch."

I haven't listened, either, but there's always the possibility of enjoying something if it's well-executed and you don't care for their stance, to me anyway.

Bleak Existence

maybe it him who will be punched instead of a nazi lol

Andrew McIntosh

What I found annoying more than anything else him charging twenty dollars US for a tape, before postage. Politics is all very groovy but business is business.

Anyway, gave a few tracks a listen (couldn't resist hearing something called "The Reek of Your Privilege"), and it's all fair-to-middling. Not so much either a "dirty" or pristine sound, somewhat flat I suppose. Not sure what's meant to be going on in the samples/site-recordings on "Know Your Enemy", maybe from a demo or something (I recall GX did a track or two based on recordings of Occupy demos). "Holocaust" has some harsh-ish moments. Pretty flat sounding synth sounds unfortunately. Vocals range from shouting to screeching. The "tropes" he's using are pretty much all standard, just not very well recorded in one way or another. For twenty bucks for the tape or nine for a download, though - just not worth it. Mate, if you're going to do PE, these days you really have to make it stand out and I don't think this does right now.

Locrian I hadn't heard before but heard of, recall seeing the "The Crystal World" release advertised here and there so I went to Bandcamp page of that and found the outright drone parts much more palatable but didn't care much for when the band kicks in. I wouldn't say it sucks but unless they did something wholly drone/noise it isn't my bag.
Shikata ga nai.

Theodore

Some Locrian material i like, and i recall having some very good moments / tracks, at least i liked back then, some years back when i was exploring this band. Last thing i listened was very bad, uninspired, and the sound / production was total shit. Flat ? Too digital ? Don't know how to describe it. Pale, lifeless seems right words. I think it was the album on Relapse in 2015 i am talking about, i am not sure though. The fact that i haven't listened, revisited anything from them for 2 years or so, it speaks for itself, i guess.

As for Hannum, i had sent him a friend request in Facebook years ago. I think i removed him before the US elections cause i couldn't stand more democrat tears about how Trump is gonna destroy the wonderful world we are living in ! Now reading this. Sorry, but when i listen much words, big, pompous, i expect absolutely nothing of value !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Peterson

monotome

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 17, 2017, 08:58:51 AM
What I found annoying more than anything else him charging twenty dollars US for a tape, before postage. Politics is all very groovy but business is business.

Really, complaining about the price of a tape you already not going to buy ?

burdizzo

Don't see anything wrong with that, myself.

Zodiac

Quote from: monotome on July 17, 2017, 11:31:09 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 17, 2017, 08:58:51 AM

Really, complaining about the price of a tape you already not going to buy ?

You dont need to jump in here. 20$ for a new tape is hilarious. Period.
Remember, remember... december.

david lloyd jones

bitch slaps all around then...

abusepotential

Quote from: Theodore on July 17, 2017, 10:35:01 AM
As for Hannum, i had sent him a friend request in Facebook years ago. I think i removed him before the US elections cause i couldn't stand more democrat tears about how Trump is gonna destroy the wonderful world we are living in !

haha. I have discovered it is definitely better NOT to friend musicians one likes on Facebook. too much of the person can really spoil the art! not always of course.

Industrial music may be a good medium for 'big picture' type political thoughts, but to see it become a vessel for such partisan whining is hideous.

We have many more thoughts about Hannum here, but we are going to keep them to ourselves :)
abusepotential.bandcamp.com

birthcontrolnow.blogspot.com

david lloyd jones

whilst this and locrian seem to want to take the politics out of politics, why focus on the politics when 'sexuality' was at least as big an arsthetic in early pe days?

FallOfNature

The first 30 seconds of "White Rose" found on his bandcamp...haven't cringed like that in a long time.