AUSTRALIA - Industrial / noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 27, 2017, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Was just listening to Armour Group / Isomer split tape, "Desire To Fight".
First thoughts were that Armour Group gig I recently withnessed, seems like it was designed to be more hard hitting and song oriented material. Many of tapes, have much more "relaxed" feel. Perhaps adjective is wrong. Lets say, they don't feel urgency to kick in hard rhythm or vocal assault, but can spend long periods of time with fragments of news broadcasts and minimal noisy materials. Something what will barely qualify as "hit song", but generate totally different atmosphere. Not less of value, simply easy to observe why to make choise that this material ends up on tape, rather than proper album or live gig. Skill and sense of role / correct placement of material, good indeed!

Isomer, I said it before, but I can say it again. While many old timers of the genre have appeared to slip from good to not-so-good, it's good to see that this isn't only route to go. Not all projects go through slow phase of becoming less interesting and weaker, but for example Isomer. Of course he barely qualifies as veteran at this moment, but lets see... He has already passed his 15 year landmark. Debut full length on Tesco came dozen years ago.. But, I'd say it's fact that new stuff Isomer has come up with, is the most interesting! This tape probably topping again things I have previously heard! Naturally, tape format allows the sound some extra tasty saturation and dirt what may not be present if master files were put on CD? But that aside, material itself is good. Perhaps best suited to fans of more contemporary "power electronics". Not quite the trad. PE, but rather something lumped with IRM, Human Larvae, Prurient, etc etc. Just few names that barely are best to use as reference, but well known...

Anyway, why open topic for the split tape? Not sure when exactly I personally noticed, but Australia has been for years rather active place for many times of noise. There is long history in different types of industrial connected stuff. Within last few years, it seems as if there was still more and somehow different things happening? Several labels, obscure tape labels putting out raw noise and power electronics. Lots of live shows promoted quite constantly. It was already years ago, when KNIFE CULTURE compilation CD exposed me to countless formerly unheard Australian projects.

Also, Australia is home of at least 2-3 industrial/noise magazines too. Not bad.

New and old favorites? Thoughts in general?   
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

david lloyd jones

only to add that seeing armour group and military position at ufoi (with isomer) were a highlight-usually enjoy new/lesser known bands,
making assumption/generalising, but  most all of the 7 or so trapdoor tapes releases, show a good scene in aus

bitewerksMTB

Old Aussie industrial that immediately comes to mind is Psy Phalanx & more obscure is the Servile Ghost Tapes label. I had a link to d/l two of the SGT releases but now I can't find it. The title of the blog is "Wet Dreams" but that isn't in the url.

I'd love to hear that the P.P. tapes are being compiled for a double-cd release....

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 27, 2017, 10:48:18 PM
Old Aussie industrial that immediately comes to mind is Psy Phalanx & more obscure is the Servile Ghost Tapes label. I had a link to d/l two of the SGT releases but now I can't find it. The title of the blog is "Wet Dreams" but that isn't in the url.

I'd love to hear that the P.P. tapes are being compiled for a double-cd release....

Have you checked soulseek re SGT releases? Lot's of old stuff there. You might find it.

On another note.... Down and Out + Overuse cadre is doing lot of interesting works these days. I like their take on things and the fact they don't follow any particular thread path even though paying homage to history at times. Unique artistic language and form.

online prowler

bitewerksMTB....

Fast SS search turned up:

Medical Data - Perimeter / 26 Dec 1964.

Data may take some time to get in as the search engine is slow. Dwnlwding mentioned release now. Can email it you if you send your contact info via pm.

bitewerksMTB

Oh, I already have it. I was going to post the link for others. I have tape copies, also. One looks like it may be original (yellowing j-card & cheap, old looking tape but no booklet) & the other is a copy on a chrome tape.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 27, 2017, 11:20:53 PM
Oh, I already have it. I was going to post the link for others. I have tape copies, also. One looks like it may be original (yellowing j-card & cheap, old looking tape but no booklet) & the other is a copy on a chrome tape.

Ahhh... I see, was a tad bit fast there. Don't think I've heard anything from that branch, so curiously awaiting the dwnlwd as of now. 

isomer

[/quote]
On another note.... Down and Out + Overuse cadre is doing lot of interesting works these days. I like their take on things and the fact they don't follow any particular thread path even though paying homage to history at times. Unique artistic language and form.
[/quote]

Yeah the folk behind Down and Out and Overuse are always doing interesting stuff - I reckon Fetish Ritual is one of the best (and grubbiest) Australian projects at the moment. Hobart, where they are, might be typical of the Australian approach - small but dedicated scenes with fluid movement between styles - noise and pe alongside metal, punk, sloppy rock and the more academic stuff. Seems to happen like that in Melbourne in particular, and to a lesser extent in Adelaide.

Baglady

When it comes to older australian noise/industrial I guess one should mention Gum. The debut LP from 1987, entitled Vinyl (...), is pretty damn great. Turntable/loop mayhem.

aububs

http://stahlfabrik.blogspot.ie/search/label/SERVILE%20GHOST%20TAPES

vomitgore

Pretty sure Totenrune will be dropping some really good stuff in near future.

isomer

Quote from: vomitgore on May 30, 2017, 01:04:11 AM
Pretty sure Totenrune will be dropping some really good stuff in near future.

I think so, yeah. Karl's stuff has been great so far, and I'm happy to see someone pulling it back down into the gutter.

L.White

V.A. Death Pact International - Australian Units
CD from 2014 on L.White Records
with the following Australian bands:
Bonsai Kitten
Burden of Administration
Chrysalis
Die Like a God
Ebola Disco
Isomer
Michael J Ellingford
Screwtape
Streicher

also MSHING (runs the label TRAPDOOR Tapes)

isomer

Quote from: L.White on May 30, 2017, 11:49:43 AM
V.A. Death Pact International - Australian Units
CD from 2014 on L.White Records
with the following Australian bands:
Bonsai Kitten
Burden of Administration
Chrysalis
Die Like a God
Ebola Disco
Isomer
Michael J Ellingford
Screwtape
Streicher

also MSHING (runs the label TRAPDOOR Tapes)

Very happy to be involved with this release, mate - I often think we're about due for a volume 2!! Lots of good stuff happening here at the moment.

cr

I hope the great Old Captain label will release something like this in the near future. Along with Thule Society and Nife Junger.

http://oleghkolyada.com/label/

Already mentioned before with the Death Pact International CD, but I'd like to give them extra credit: Ebola Disco and Screwtape