Decadent mainstream music

Started by 13, May 23, 2017, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the headline suggests, I am looking for mainstream or broadly known music with dark and decadent themes.

Otomo_Hava

At the top of my head right now...

Falco - Jeanny

A stalker who wants desperately a 19 years old girl, believed by the critics back then that this song "glorifies rape".

Genesis - Illegal Alien

A silly and arrogant portray of a Mexican who wants to trespass the US borders to the "promise land".

Nirvana - Rape Me

"My favorite inside source / I'll kiss your open sores / I appreciate your concern / You'll always stink and burn"

F_c_O

I guess the obivious one is Police - Every Breath You Take

Peterson

Lou Reed "Street Hassle" - first part is about a very ugly, possibly obese woman paying a gay hustler for sex. Second part is about two gentlemen discussing how to dispose of a girl's overdosed corpse, third is about the transvestite Reed was breaking up with at the time. Features a depressed Bruce Springsteen saying "we were born to pay."

Another obvious one is AC/DC "Night Prowler," self-explanatory.

The many Judas Priest songs about male rape, like "Eat Me Alive," "Love Bites," and "Delivering The Goods," and more.

Cocteau Twins "Foetzepolitic" - about childhood memories of sexual abuse, pretty vulgar title if you know a little German.

Motorhead - "Jailbait," self-explanatory.

Sex Pistols - "Bodies," classy take on abortion, ("fuck this and fuck that, fuck it all and fuck the fucking brat")

Ramones - "Beat On The Brat," "All's Quiet On The Eastern Front" (about stalking at night while amped on speed)

Tons of various Misfits songs - "Theme For A Jackal," "American Nightmare," "Spinal Remains," "Hollywood Babylon," "Bullet," etc etc etc

Danzig - "Killer Wolf," "The Hunter," "Stalker Song"

Mark Kozelek does a pretty great cover of Dayglo Abortion's "I Killed Mommy," and Bad Brains "I," which has the line "cram their chivalry inside their guts," fairly obscene considering his fanbase of polite, middle-class hipster liberal indie rock kids.

The Who - "Fiddle About," Tommy gets molested by his uncle.

Basically half of the material Frank Zappa wrote between 1974-1980 concerned unusual sexual practices; fetishism, homosexuality, bestiality, sexual confusion, ugly people having sex, fatal sex with robots, Catholic teenage groupies, being raped by large black prison inmates, etc etc. Start with "Bobby Brown Goes Down" (big hit in Scandinavian countries for some reason, hehe), "Dong Work For Yuda," and "Dirty Love," then go from there. You're welcome.

Always thought Bruce Springsteens "I'm On Fire" could be reinterpreted to be fairly dark, considering some of the lyrics and the weird reverb on the vocals.

EDIT: Forgot Lana Del Rey! She has songs like "Lolita" and "Serial Killer," which are pretty twisted. Good voice, too.

david lloyd jones

remember some pop song of a few years back, female singer, standard pop thing,
singing about crashing her car into a bridge and not caring whilst qatching it burn.
then she throws some ex lovers propery into the street from their presumed ex live nest, again not caring.
struck me as pretty nihilistic ideas to sell to pre and actual teens.

cr

Roxy Music -"In Every Dream Home A Heartache"

david lloyd jones

XXX

I remember similar topic on older defunct board. Think the best song anyone mention was Tina Turner "Private Dancer"

david lloyd jones

Charles aznavour-'thank heavens for little girls'
the child molesters, 'thirteen is my lucky number'
grateful dead ' hello little schoolgirl'

eraciator

Quote from: david lloyd jones on May 23, 2017, 06:21:10 PM
remember some pop song of a few years back, female singer, standard pop thing,
singing about crashing her car into a bridge and not caring whilst qatching it burn.
then she throws some ex lovers propery into the street from their presumed ex live nest, again not caring.
struck me as pretty nihilistic ideas to sell to pre and actual teens.

Charlie XCX "I don't care". Great bassline too.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: david lloyd jones on May 23, 2017, 08:35:33 PM
grateful dead ' hello little schoolgirl'
"Good Morning Little School Girl" by Sonny Boy Williamson in the 1930s, and Pigpen could get real raunchy in the jam sections.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

locustfurnace

Depeche Mode - Master And Servant

Bleak Existence

Otomo_Hava

Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung (EAV) - Samurai

A satirical (but weird) look at sex tourism (in Thailand as it set). Those who know/speak german language will get it!