Queer noise

Started by tiny_tove, May 20, 2017, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny_tove

I was quite sure there was another thread on the subject, but cannot find it

there are several missing names (also some very big ones, yet with a slightly unsafer approach than most of the mentioned projects)

https://heathenharvest.org/2017/05/14/giving-voice-velvet-rage-expressions-queer-identity-noise/

there was a compilation on the subject Songs From the Darkroom, dedicate to leather culture

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Songs-From-The-Darkroom/release/558569
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

tisbor

Yeah that article is meh. It focuses on issues I don't really care about while there's no mention of The Gerogerigegege at all, or other things like Intrinsic Action's fisting songs. 

tisbor

Also: Atrax Morgue = queer noise?
Sometimes, maybe

FreakAnimalFinland

Not long ago posted about this in Playlist topic:

V/A SILENCE=DEATH tape
Bored Bear Recordings
I didn't even remember what this is. Thought it could be some sort of death industrial release I didn't remember and just popped it to tape player without going through j-card. I appreciated how diverse the tape was, and then while turning side, looked insert and damn! This is the Queer noise comp from 2011! Being C-100 tape, and if the qualification has been that one needs to be identifying as "queer noise", it didn't give very promising expectation for quality, but perhaps it was about listening this without remembering what it was, that it turns out to be fairly good. No a classic by any means, but wholeness is strong enough to hold few weaker bits good enough to make comp work. Diversity and quality what wasn't expected. Funny thing is that cover doesn't print any contact addressies etc, but there is printed link to specific chondriticsound forum topic. What it has been, no idea... 

----

What comes to article posted in opening message... huh.. Well, what can you say..?

Quote(...)have both received a fairly impressive amount of coverage in their own cities in relatively short time periods; both are queer people-of-color, and both tend towards an abstraction of dance music. I've had the pleasure of getting both on a compilation (Trigger Warning, FMLR 2016), (...)

Trigger Warning, impressive coverage of abstraction of dance music by queers of p-o-c... Not sure if one could put together better catchwords to present hot topics of current alternative music mindset?

Not sure how what is the laziness of brain to celebrate the individualism and diversity, but at the same time make dullest generalizations, as if people, scenes, gigs and festivals (etc) would be "the same". Merely because there ain't poc/fag band on the bill? We see that in all areas of culture, where for example quality, personality or lifetime achievements are ruled unimportant over most retarded gender/indentity politics.

I'd rather make assumption that industrial-noise folks would possibly be slightly more advanced in their interests & life experiences and simple reject that BS like that? But perhaps we'll just see the same shift in it, like in rest of fields of culture.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

shearling

can someone give examples of Xiu Xiu doing noise? not super familiar, always assumed they were twee-ish indie rock, seemingly somewhat naive on my part

Peterson

Quote from: shearling on June 02, 2017, 12:06:35 AM
can someone give examples of Xiu Xiu doing noise? not super familiar, always assumed they were twee-ish indie rock, seemingly somewhat naive on my part

They don't really "do noise" the way you mean it. They're not really a rock band, and the term "twee" is new to me, but they can vaguely be categorized in the electronic pop realm. If you mean goth rock, there are strains of Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc. Only at one short period did they ever use a real drummer, and rarely are there "riffs" to speak of...hence, not quite what I call rock.

"Knife Play," "The Air Force," and "La Foret" have some of what to my ears is an audible later-Whitehouse influence. "Fabulous Muscles" includes a bit of disturbing and harsher musique concrete on several tracks, with most of the more accesible tracks mixed loudly and in a jarring manner. "Angel Guts: Red Classroom" has a power electronic/industrial influence as well, and is a pretty big departure from their earlier notions of influence from those styles. You might not like what you hear, but you'll likely be surprised, and a lot of their stuff is undeniably unique.

For what it's worth, I find some of their stuff excruciating/intolerable, but the tracks I do like make it seem as if the others don't even exist. I've hardly heard anything else I have such a love-hate relationship with, and I have to give that due credit.

And here's Jamie reading Index.

Andrew McIntosh

It's not enough just to be born gay or even be out of the closet, you have to "be" gay. Heaven help the homo who doesn't want to be part of the club.
Shikata ga nai.

shearling

Quote from: Peterson on June 02, 2017, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: shearling on June 02, 2017, 12:06:35 AM

They don't really "do noise" the way you mean it. They're not really a rock band, and the term "twee" is new to me, but they can vaguely be categorized in the electronic pop realm. If you mean goth rock, there are strains of Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc. Only at one short period did they ever use a real drummer, and rarely are there "riffs" to speak of...hence, not quite what I call rock.

"Knife Play," "The Air Force," and "La Foret" have some of what to my ears is an audible later-Whitehouse influence. "Fabulous Muscles" includes a bit of disturbing and harsher musique concrete on several tracks, with most of the more accesible tracks mixed loudly and in a jarring manner. "Angel Guts: Red Classroom" has a power electronic/industrial influence as well, and is a pretty big departure from their earlier notions of influence from those styles. You might not like what you hear, but you'll likely be surprised, and a lot of their stuff is undeniably unique.

For what it's worth, I find some of their stuff excruciating/intolerable, but the tracks I do like make it seem as if the others don't even exist. I've hardly heard anything else I have such a love-hate relationship with, and I have to give that due credit.

And here's Jamie reading Index.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. As I said I'm completely unfamiliar other than being aware of Xiu Xiu existing. I did see after a quick search that there's a Merzbow collar album but all review paint it in a fairly tepid light...

Duncan

Yeah, Xiu Xiu are kind of annoying really and quintessentially over the top/American.  However, I don't think anyone who came expecting twee indie pop could deny getting blind sided by something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLqCHKfX54

noyearning

Quote from: Peterson on May 20, 2017, 10:49:47 PM
Anyway, I have to admit I'm also usually disappointed with the lack of sonic depth that many "queer" projects tend toward - Ramirez is a great example because many of his projects don't live up to the potential and talent he clearly has. Straight Panic is great conceptually, but forgettable sound-wise. I like Xiu Xiu very much and definitely see a huge inspiration from Whitehouse in their earlier sound, but see them as rather nebulous (at times intolerably mainstream) and not necessarily belonging to the antisocial, unsafe side of this kind of music I prefer. Am I a bit too presumptuous for observing that perhaps too much focus on identity, message, and content subtracts from delivery via nasty, hard audio violence? Sorry, but I genuinely feel that's the case. I need at least 50-50 content-sound ratio, otherwise I prefer a stupid concept driven by amazing sounds rather than a well-thought-out concept carried by 3rd-rate sounds.

Anyone curious about gayness in noise and PE should check out Forza Albino and Tearoom Trades, definitely have the sound I am looking for in conjunction with less-safe gay themes.

My sentiments exactly. And also, seconding the recommendation on Forza Albino. Amazing project, wish they would release more stuff.

Just checked the Silence=Death comp Mikko mentioned, didn't know about it. I'm only familiar with Violent Pink, which I strongly recommend too.

And at the risk of being annoying, I would add my own project, Mankeulv. Though, nothing explicitly stated. One of the latest EPs, The Lunar Lodge, being the one with a less clouded subject.