Projects like AMK ?

Started by Azoikum, May 16, 2017, 08:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azoikum

Just recently discovered AMK. Any recommendations for projects with a similar style, rather using cut-ups ?

Johann

Maybe not as cut up as AMK but I'd personally suggest checking out Joseph Hammer, lots of loops melting into each other. Really great. Milan Knizak was one of the first I know of to use turntables as an instrument and joke lanz of sudden infant does some interesting turntablism

FreakAnimalFinland

Maybe AMK himself would deserve topic! His works has been commented in various topic, but never in much of depth.

I have had my like/dislike routine with this artists. Basically the usual: In old days, wanting to hear some blasting noise or ripping power electronics, and not being amazed by broken turntable loops. Yet later on realizing I was not just "ready" for material like that during teenage years. Now it feels like I should revisit all AMK I have, and possibly look into what else to obtain.

On one of my Japanese trips about decade ago, purchased from Forever Records 1989 tape of AMK "Montages". It is tape on RRRecords based on anti-10" object by AMK on RRRecords published on same year. This tape has been literally laying around for more than decade in my possession, and further decades somewhere else... until now I can actually appreciate it!

Original record was made out of different cut up flexi discs. "Each copy is different. Comes with instructional postcard: "Ways to personalize your montage." Officially edition was to be of 100 copies (hand-numbered and signed on back of flexi disc montage), but copies numbered over 100 exist."

That I don't have, but Montages tape is one side of AMK Montage Flexi On RRR Home Stereo system played by AMK I assume. And B-side is  RRRadio with AMK / Due Process Handling The Montage Flexi. B-side is more successful in terms of enjoyment on musical merits, yet not much to complain about A-side either. Sound is simply 100% unlike any material you get to hear these days. At most musical it is just crackling musical fragments fragmented over long side of tape, but there is noise on this too.

So, on this topic - I'd hope not only recommendations of bands who sound like AMK, but perhaps rather what would be the most noteworthy AMK works to check out?!

Performer – Due Process

Notes
Based on the creation and performance of the "montage" flexi disc.

Record made out of different cut up flexi discs. Each copy is different. Comes with instructional postcard: "Ways to personalize your montage." Officially edition was to be of 100 copies (hand-numbered and signed on back of flexi disc montage), but copies numbered over 100 exist.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Potier

Again - probably not exactly what the OP was looking for but - Yann Leguay comes to mind - he comes more from an angle of what is self-described as "media sabotage" - he has worked extensively with records as well as hard drives etc.. More of an academic take on the subject if you will.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1012210-Yann-Leguay

Baglady

A personal favorite of mine is AMK  - Residue/Scrape CS. Originally a C40 released in 1995 on Kinky Musik Inst., but the reissue from 2013 on Palemoon Prod. (the one I have) has an additional 40 minutes. Featuring G.X., Damion Romero, Colin Rae, blackhumour and DAS. Intense and confusing long cutup works made from radio snippets, turntables and heaps of hiss. It has a great flow, much thanks to some fine loops jiggling right in the midst of the audial mess all the way through.

AMK & WM Zarate - Embedded CS is a more recent goodone, released on Regional Bears earlier this year. No idea who this Zarate figure is, or what his or her role in the recording is, but it's a successful collab nonetheless. Ripping apart some old songs (I recognized a few seconds from Leonard Cohen's "Who By Fire") and tossing them into a blender along with some muck of their own, and out comes some pretty brilliant typical AMK noise.

I'd also recommend picking up this old Psychic Rally double cassette from 1992, if you don't have any problem not knowing who's doing what and where the hell you are on the playlist. Still comes very cheap, as you can see.
https://www.discogs.com/Psychic-Rally-Psychic-Rally/release/773678

absurdexposition

Quote from: Baglady on October 23, 2018, 08:24:03 AM
AMK & WM Zarate - Embedded CS is a more recent goodone, released on Regional Bears earlier this year. No idea who this Zarate figure is, or what his or her role in the recording is, but it's a successful collab nonetheless. Ripping apart some old songs (I recognized a few seconds from Leonard Cohen's "Who By Fire") and tossing them into a blender along with some muck of their own, and out comes some pretty brilliant typical AMK noise.

It's on Bandcamp. Just gave a listen to spot that Cohen sample. There's also a Death Grips "Guillotine" sample near the end of the A-side, or whatever it is that Death Grips themselves sampled.

https://regionalbears.bandcamp.com/album/embedded
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Mikerdeath

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 18, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
Maybe AMK himself would deserve topic!
YES

Original record was made out of different cut up flexi discs. "Each copy is different. Comes with instructional postcard: "Ways to personalize your montage." Officially edition was to be of 100 copies (hand-numbered and signed on back of flexi disc montage), but copies numbered over 100 exist."

There is also a cassette I think called montage thats AMK playing the montage record on his setup, a wonderful tape and gem in collection.

Favorite AMK material probably not discovered yet as I havent heard more than 25% of total recordings.

Favorite is probably Super Panoramic Stereo Sound 5000  as its very tight and good. Made to be played at random!

Recent tape  called "crowns" on oxen label is also very good listening.

Johann

250 Years of AMK just released by Helicopter, excellent cassette of rough noise. Occasionally the sources come through but the rough quality never lets up, two live tracks sandwich John Wiese remixing AMK playing the recent Haters/Spacek Flexi...

My personal favorite tho is AMK Etc feat. Rudolf E.ber attempting to play records with all kinds of different needle substitutes https://amk-banned.bandcamp.com/album/etc...seeing him last year was a real treat!

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this, but one thing that's always impressed me about AMK is he doesn't seem to waste his time with effects, it seems like the sound is just the flexi/field recordings and turntable and nothing else

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Mikerdeath on October 24, 2018, 01:11:18 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 18, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
Maybe AMK himself would deserve topic!
YES

Favorite is probably Super Panoramic Stereo Sound 5000  as its very tight and good. Made to be played at random!
Though I have not really heard any other material by AMK, I really liked this album too.  The live track with the samples of bird songs was very atmospheric, and probably is one of the best noise/experimental compositions that I have ever heard.  Also, the liberal use of folk songs gave it an inviting warmth.