Obscurities of Japanese noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 28, 2009, 05:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accidental

Quote from: acsenger on February 28, 2021, 05:29:04 PM
While it might be argued that something released in the classic Good Alchemy series of Alchemy Records shouldn't be labelled obscure

Was this part of the series? Havent heard the cd, but i have the old lp on Unbalance.

acsenger

Quote from: accidental on March 03, 2021, 03:09:55 PM
Was this part of the series? Havent heard the cd, but i have the old lp on Unbalance.

Yes, the obi shows it was part of it.

Eigen Bast

I picked up those Seed Mouth reissues from later last year (Voice of Phlegm, Titantic, the "early works" and bonus CD-R). Wonderful stuff, very enigmatic.  Maybe calls up some early Grim materal, but entirely it's own dense, strange, sometimes rhythmic industrial ambience. any idea what synth he was using on VOP?

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

SuKoRa "Saturday-night dance date" tape
Self Abuse rec.
Mid 90's Japanese sound artists, kind of noise, but think noise in ways like Skin Crime hum & contact mic crackles are. Minimal, not loud, but no way "ambient", not field recordings, no synths, just odd handmade non-music crackle and hum. For me personally, the Donna Klemm / Artware Audio hand written price tag in Deutch Marks is such a treat. One of those reminders of how noise network worked back in the day! I don't know how many SuKoRa "fans" are out there. That's one of the names you surely don't see mentioned often!

V/A "Jirai Wo Fundara Sayounara" (Step On A Mine And It's Goodbye) tape
Vanilla rec
Reissue of Blue-ist 1993 was done by Vanilla rec in 1995.
Diving deep into Japanese obscurities is one favorite thing. Connecting dots from one to another even more so. Can't explain how satisfying it is to look at this tape cover, and see liner notes crediting it to Riku. She has one tape on Good Microphone -label, Diesel Guitar guy. Sometimes memory confuses it with Monellaphone -label who did Gerogerigegege 7"... but also put out Diesel Guitar stuff and bunch of pretty much impossible to get tapes. Besides Riku, she was also singer in Love & Sincerity, who has great track on Come Again II, and this compilation. And Come Again II track actually samples parts of this song, which is also published on L&S full own tape. Some of most intense female screaming over strange improvised noise-music. On top of all that, she was sister of mr. Diesel Guitar. Regardless is part of this tape is odd experimental fun, weirdo indie, porgressive rock freak outs and so on, you still got all these little nuggets of noizu info, and Colloid, Yellow Cab, Diesel Guitar, and so on....  Absolute great tape from times when noise co-existed with other weird genres in a bit different way than now.

And further comment, the mystery of Yellow Cab. It seems Michio Teshima's project each track/session was named by number+ date of recording. This comp having 6-101093. So, discogs knows 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 but where are 1, 4,5? Night Science comp track maybe 10. (Teshima of course owner of Vanilla rec, plus mastermind in The Sadist which included Yamazaki on vocals before Masonna.)

I have feeling I have something else by BLUE-ist label, but can't remember what it could be.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

While browsing tape shelves and having so many tapes from Japanese noise artists with no idea who, what, why .. was thinking that someone who knows, would have good opportunity to do book of Japanese noise. David Hopkins had expressed his interest to do new book, that would continue from moment where his Hijokaidan book ended. My assumption, he would focus on late 80's, early 90's, the sort of "classic Japanese noise era". He mentioned book would be hard to do without Merzbow, and Merzbow being difficult to get into book like this.

Now, unfortunately too late after getting latest news. RIP David Hopkins!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net