lyrics-writing process

Started by shearling, May 06, 2017, 02:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shearling

walk me thru an example of your lyric-writing process. Do you have any kind of ritual techniques you perform?

F_c_O

I never really sit down and write lyrics. I think of an theme for the song, write few bits, mull over it my head during normal days and once inspiration strikes I jot shit down. After a while, I check if the stuff is any good and if not, repeat the process.

Kim V

Same here. Often ideas come during reading books or newspapers. I start with writing down single words or phrases, they're "fermenting" over a couple of days and then lead to a total text.
you're just a victim of yourself

andy vomit

i usually just write down sentence fragments & concepts as they come to me-- very sporadic and random. then i piece it together later. 
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Mark Lazarus

Depends,first I figure out the concept and/or topic I may wish to project and figure out how they should be placed within the music,as well take time to give the lyrics breathing room where they won't sound like filler or come across as forced...It often takes me a good month or so after a track is done to write something I am 100% satisfied with....

Frataxin

I like to write down parts of a thought as I'm experiencing it, like others in this thread have alluded to. There has to be some sort of predicate for that to happen though, so a lot of the time I go back to old writings or collections of words, whatever, and change phrasing and whatnot to be cohesive with the track. I do enjoy writing about a pre-selected topic however: that is to say giving myself specific direction helps me to think of words sometimes.