The most successful collaborations

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, April 27, 2017, 12:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Listening new AHLZDEVELOPER CD (phage tapes) and it sparked to think about successful collaboration.
There are many occasions, when collaboration appears in my ears much more of social interaction, than fruitful creative process.

I mean the releases, where you can simply sum the collaboration 1+1=2. When listening new SICKNESS / BASTARD NOISE collaboration LP, this was my first impression. Not that it would be bad at all. It was just that it seemed as is BN would throw in the tricks they are known of, and Sickness would do his more recent things. Meaning longer brooding dark droning material and few moments of fast cut up harshness erupting. But it doesn't seem as if they would *really* affect eachother. Each artist does what they are known of doing and elements combined into one piece. Of course this may be simply my impression, not reality. My gut feeling still thinks that Sickness does the "sickness elements" and BN does the "BN elements". My assumption would have been that Sickness could have gone further by dissecting BN material or processing vocal performance or BN gone further by fully immersing into source sounds from Sickness? This was good album. Not a disappointment, but just something what felt like almost exactly what could be expected. Even if it is well put together and indeed stands out in comparision to "usual albums".

What else could be expected from AHLZDEVELOPER than harsh noise cut up? Isn't this just the same 1+1=2? Well, it seems entirely different scenario, since starting point is very different from bands above. First of all, CD is not really album per se, but reissue of two tapes and couple compilation tracks. Each track being one making material based on other guys source sounds. Restless cut up harsh noise may be what one expects - and gets. But it seems that method of processing each others sounds in this case is exactly the key to success. Perhaps also that originally these were short tapes and tracks. One would use editing skills and compress the vast (?) sources into energetic blast of noise, which may represent artists own style quite a lot, but offer alternative harsh-noise-sound-spectrum compared to their solo works.
So it works. Works very well. Even if you'd have bunch of material from both guys, it adds another dimension to their work and makes CD well worth having.

Favorite collaborations, where collaboration enhances material greatly?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

vomitgore

I think Edwige - especially the early stuff that still featured Mania - is a great example of how a collaboration can create something new through combining the strengths of the artists. The EP is pretty flawless, especially when the Sewer Election - ish parts shine through and mix up with the sounds I would trace back to Mania.

This may only work as an "anecdote" at the moment, as the actual album has not been released  (yet?), but Prurient teaming up live with GO was massive, although short. Another winner live collaboration  (this time one that has actually been documented) is Sektion B / Control "Hate America".

Baglady

I think a good example of a collaboration where 1+1 = something of its own is the MSBR & Speculum Fight collab LP on P-Tapes from 1994. Raw material from Koji Tano treated and processed by Damion Romero, with some bits from Tom Grimley as well. Side A is pretty straight up not-so-harsh harsh noise with a weird air to it, but the winner is the b-side where the guys have really taken use of the stereo mix. With clattering acoustic sounds flying all around and through your head, this deserves speakers and some proper volume, and it doesn't sound typical of either MSBR or Speculum Fight. A truly overlooked gem that I keep coming back to over and over.

Scat-O-Logy

A great example of two skilled artists teaming up and making a very complete record:
http://www.discogs.com/Giuseppe-Ielasi-Kassel-Jaeger-Parallel-Grayscale/release/4342394

BizarreϟϟMania! Why? Because: Bizarre, SS and Mania!

Charnel Heap collab is great as well but not as crushing as BϟϟM.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Henrik III

Good call for MSBR & Speculum Fight LP! Need to listen to it right away.

The first noise collaboration that comes to my mind is Organum & The New Blockaders "Wrack". My brain distils the different components quite easily but they complement each other so damn beautifully and makes it one of the greatest release in the both discographies (which should say something). Also one of those records that work perfectly at any RPM.

Another big-name collaboration favourite is Merzbow & Christoph Heemann "Sleeper Awakes On The Edge Of The Abyss", also a long time late night and hangover favourite. Definitely not a linear combination of the two, it has more of the Heemann edge and pretty far from what would expect from Masami.

There's certainly tons more...

Duncan

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Henrik III on April 28, 2017, 12:22:09 AM
Another big-name collaboration favourite is Merzbow & Christoph Heemann "Sleeper Awakes On The Edge Of The Abyss", also a long time late night and hangover favourite. Definitely not a linear combination of the two, it has more of the Heemann edge and pretty far from what would expect from Masami.
indeed.  Heemann having the final say.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Henrik III on April 28, 2017, 12:22:09 AM
Organum & The New Blockaders

Pulp is one of my favorite collaborations..

CMSFoundation

Macronympha's collaborations with Evil Moisture ("The Tentacles of the Octopus Sometimes Compete With Each Other") and Mlehst ("Macrosonic") are surprisingly good and finding a third style that doesn't resemble either source group.

chewslife

These are all extremely well done collaborations, in my opinion. Not so much in a 'who did this or that' sense, but strictly in regard to the material itself.

PGR / Asmus Tietchens / Merzbow
Nurse With Wound / Stereolab
TMLHBAC / Deutsch Nepal
Zbigniew Karkowski / Daniel Menche
Pan Sonic / Haino Keiji
Con-Dom / The Grey Wolves (live)
PBK / Vidna Obmana
Grunt / Taint
Telepherique / De Fabriek (as PWZ; though some assume this is a split)
Robert Rich / Lustmord
Test Dept. / Brith Gof
Lustmord / Lagowski (as Isolrubin BK)
C.C.C.C. / Nocturnal Emissions

As already mentioned, Merzbow / Christoph Heemann
One I had high hopes for that panned out to be less than expected, Esplendor Geométrico / Hijokaidan
One I have had on the back-burner forever, Contrastate / The Tiger Lillies

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

THE RITA HN

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.