Percussion and rhythm of industrial music

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 28, 2009, 05:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

I didn't know where to post this.  This thread, the Noise And The Beat thread, or a power-electronics thread.

Fleisch Macht Boese - Genmanipulierte Körper 1996 - one of those early Steinklang releases that is rudimentary and potentially interesting.  There's some good reason we don't often see them mentioned.  Two albums and gone.  I don't believe I've ever heard the second album.  This came in an appropriately simple gatefold jacket in a sizeable pressing of 800 copies and can be had for little.  I teeter back and forth between liking it a lot and wishing it would develop into something greater.  It can be a long haul, but I'd still recommend it to power-electronic interests who like a lot of industrial rhythm.  It's not quite refined enough to sway into Ant-Zen territory, but it could have just as well ended up there.  Something about it is endearing and feels like it is suspended between a few different sensibilities.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ritualabuser

Quote from: SUBKLINIK on December 15, 2015, 04:06:54 AM
I like the idea of rhythmic elements to PE/Death Industrial stuff but especially when it is constructed using electronics ala Korpses Katatonik "Shatok"
or my own SUBKLINIK "Deadpulse". The whole metal thing is all fine and dandy but it seems that after a time it becomes like the Heavy Metal guitar riff of "how many variations before its just a rehash thing?".... But don't get me wrong dudes. I love it but prefer a little more creativeness.

Speaking of industrial percussion and repetition, I'm pretty sure Dissecting Table recorded one "sample" of  metal percussion (although it could be synthetic) and used the same pattern across a lot of their earlier releases.

Pigswill

I came across the album Cold Is The Absence Of Heat by a group called Savage Aural Hotbed. Apparently they're from a Minneapolis suburb, but a huge part of their sound is doing tribal and taiko-style drumming on metal drums and found objects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6UjoX8QVhE

NO PART OF IT

I would be happy if this thread were on the front page perpetually.  I am into rhythmic noise and not "power noise" at all.  I really like distorted loops and the way different layers gradually interplay in general. 

With that I will add a bit more:

Tiptoing around Ant-Zen territory, we have the first record by "Imminent Starvation" now simply called "Imminent".   Their first CD "Dislocation" is rhythmic tribal drumming and distortion.  Sometimes getting close to dance territory, but generally a firm tribal industrial sound with drum pads is what is happening, with minimal ambient sounds to carry it.

Then there's Celluloid Mata, which is basically just a drum machine with a lot of distortion, but not really dancey at all.  It plays like Esplendor Geometrico, but less dancey.  Almost more about tension and release, and again, more about layers of sound cancelling out other sounds, or giving them room to breathe. 

Then there's Decapitated Hed, which is distorted drum machines, feedback, tape loops, that stand apart but to me, would easily please any fan of Esplendor Geometrico.   

I could keep going, but I going to try to take survey of some other artists mentioned that I am not fully aware of yet.  I will say that I think a lot of the "industrial" artist that aren't too closely related to noise tend to use the same drums sounds, and in those cases I'd usually rather listen to Karjalan Sissit when the urge comes. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

GEWALTMONOPOL

I like the idea of rhythmic elements to PE/Death Industrial stuff but especially when it is constructed using electronics ala Korpses Katatonik "Shatok"
or my own SUBKLINIK "Deadpulse". The whole metal thing is all fine and dandy but it seems that after a time it becomes like the Heavy Metal guitar riff of "how many variations before its just a rehash thing?".... But don't get me wrong dudes. I love it but prefer a little more creativeness.

It's about the dull thud for me. Couple that with a grinding pulse and hear them slowly shift in and out of sync to complete the picture. Repetition is king!

I've slowly developed an allergy to the mere description "metal percussion" in the last few years.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on October 14, 2019, 09:45:22 PM

It's about the dull thud for me. Couple that with a grinding pulse and hear them slowly shift in and out of sync to complete the picture. Repetition is king!

I've slowly developed an allergy to the mere description "metal percussion" in the last few years.

This reminds me of the heavy, looping drones that underlie many Zyklon SS tracks.  The rhythmic loops are more hypnotic than just a simple beat, so I find tracks that incorporate them much more interesting.

Despite that, a well-placed loop of a  drum beat or sharp metal clanking can add a lot to the overall piece in the right circumstances.