Tape being damaged in post

Started by SiClark, February 23, 2017, 12:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiClark

I sent a tape to a customer in North America and he got in touch saying the tape was blank, no sound at all. The tape played fine before I sent it. I have no idea how this could have happened. Just curious if any sellers have experienced this or know how this might have occurred? (buyer tested player with another tape which played fine)

ANDROPHILIA

demagnetizing tools in customs control?
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Johann

That's weird, I work at the post office and I know we scan packages but everything is essentially just barcode readers. Cant imagine what would erase a tape, were the tabs out? Wonder if he accidentally hit the wrong button and walked away.

SiClark

I was thinking it might be something in customs but I have never heard of this problem happening so I really don't know. Also can't remember if the tabs were out or not.

burdizzo

In my experience, the tabs are almost always still in, and I end up taking the out myself.

Urban Noise

Don't know why but it happend to me a couple of times, pressing the play and nothing, stoped the tape, pressed play again and played fine... why? No fucking idea. I believe your costumer tried to play it multiple times so, I guess that's not the deal here.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

Theodore

Weird indeed ! The magnet probably is the only explanation since you had checked the tape and the guy tried several times, with other tapes too. But it had to be a strong magnet and in very close distance to completely erase the tape, and still i guess there would be some music / sound leftover somewhere. Don't know. Sounds unlikely to happened but not impossible though.

I don't think i have ever had any tape damaged in post that way or another. From time to time, I have recieved some tapes with extreme unbalanced volume levels between both channels at a side or both, but that's a dubbing problem already existed likely, especially since other tapes in the package were fine.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Goat93

I think with the real old Scanners from the Customs you should have "only" Quality Changes, but the don't erase the whole Tape to nothing. Have had it in the Past several Times with tapes and VHS Tapes, but they where playable with a Shitty Nonsens, but not completely empty

SiClark

Thanks for all of your answers. I guess a magnet could be the only thing that could wipe it completely though it seems strange as it would have to be quite close. Who knows. Hoping this doesn't happen again.

burdizzo

david lloyd jones

tape either never duplicated(kind of rare but possible) or as prior-bullshit.

Cementimental

I'd definitely bet on human error at your and/or his end :)

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Cementimental on February 24, 2017, 03:26:43 PM
I'd definitely bet on human error at your and/or his end :)

very diplomatic! or fence sitting!

Coma Detox

Sounds to me like someone wants a free tape.  I've ordered and shipped hundreds of tapes from every corner of the world and never had this happen.  I've gotten a few where the dubbing was fucked but never blank, especially ones I played before sending.