Rapoon

Started by bogskaggmannen, November 09, 2010, 11:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

I've heard lots of negative thoughts (main issues has been Storey's relation to Zoviet France but I couldn't care less personally) on Rapoon over the years and that has for some reason maybe made me reluctant in looking them up - if I would, what are their prime works (and why) + how are the sounds really?

Zeno Marx

I'd start with Errant Angles.  Out of the 6+ discs I've heard, it's the only one I still care to hear (and the only one I've kept).  I don't care for all those drum n' bass elements and synthetic rhythms.  It's not that they don't find brilliant moments, just as you could safely assume they would, but it rarely lasts.  Zoviet France is one of my top-10 favorite groups, so I wish it were different for me.  One of those groups I'd have to highly edit in order to ensure repeated listens.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Just got the VOD box set... I have handful of the CD's which some are pretty ok, but haven't listened for few years.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

post-morten

I'd say that as long as you stay with the Rapoon albums released during the nineties, you are pretty safe. Stylewise they focus more heavily on the eastern influences (raga drones, looped tablas, etc) that were also such an integral part of early :zoviet*france: (who btw are in my top-3 of favorite groups). While maintaining some of these elements, later Rapoon also ventured into dance rhythms and even some (pseudo-)classical piano compositions, which is quite dull to be honest. Actually I haven't heard Errant Angels that Zeno mentioned, but I'd recommend albums such as Raising Earthly Spirits, Vernal Crossing, or Recurring Dream Circle.

Of all the ZF splinter groups, one little dark horse I like a lot is Mark Spybey's Propeller project. There are only two or three albums, that aren't too hard to track down at discogs for example.

Infirmary

After owning at some point all of what are considered to be Rapoon's best works, the only one I kept is "Fires Of The Borderlands" because it actually conveys to me some kind of feeling or atmosphere.
I think Rapoon is a highly over-rated project, to me none of it is really bad but none of it is really good.
It only gets as much attention as it does because of the Zoviet France affiliation.
I doubt most of Rapoon's music would stand on it's own if people weren't wanting to like it so badly, I for one made that mistake.

Zeno Marx

How is the New Cult Of The Sun Moon 2CD?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 10, 2010, 08:58:54 AM
Just got the VOD box set... I have handful of the CD's which some are pretty ok, but haven't listened for few years.

This box, pretty nice. It's mostly early 90's, mostly first versions, alternative versions, different re/mixes etc. Instead of being "incomplete tapes", this is just compilation of rarities. It makes whole new album out of it. 3 LP's flows very nicely, and I wouldn't even assumed it is "just compilation", unless looking details.

I have had little or no interest to new Rapoon, but these old works certainly have charm. I guess it is the same as with many "ambient" and "industrial", that in old times, with limited gear, with analogue processes involving tapes etc, results are far more interesting than what we will hear after editing music on computer screen.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Are there any in-depth interviews with Robin Storey?  Did he study Indian classical music?  Research ragas?  Did he dig deep into culture?  Wondering if it goes beyond inspiration and loose interpretation.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.