CON-DOM

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 26, 2009, 03:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHole

I just finally decided to pick up the War & Ordnance live album. Generally not really a live album listener, but after watching some CON-DOM live videos I might argue that he is at his apex live. Also, the ZSS "Live in Finland" tape with the Rome Song cover is AMAZING.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: BlackHole on April 18, 2017, 12:35:16 AM
I just finally decided to pick up the War & Ordnance live album. Generally not really a live album listener, but after watching some CON-DOM live videos I might argue that he is at his apex live. Also, the ZSS "Live in Finland" tape with the Rome Song cover is AMAZING.

Compared to many other Con-Dom live tapes, War & Ordnance has rather big difference than while "war against society" material is of course something many may know, Ordnance side is filled with songs that have NEVER played live before or since this event. While some classic con-dom tracks appear on his live recordings (especially older tapes) multiple times, this tape stands out being document of one and only gig of its kind.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Peterson

If you didn't own any Con-Dom releases, what would be a good representation of his work in general, or at least a good introduction? Was considering either War & Ordinance, or the most recent Tesco album (definitely a rheme that hits home for me), but older releases have me pretty curious, too.

collapsedhole

Quote from: BlackHole on April 18, 2017, 12:35:16 AM

whoa! i've been slacking on ZSS but this i need to hear!

Bleed On Me

Quote from: Peterson on April 19, 2017, 06:10:35 PM
If you didn't own any Con-Dom releases, what would be a good representation of his work in general, or at least a good introduction? Was considering either War & Ordinance, or the most recent Tesco album (definitely a rheme that hits home for me), but older releases have me pretty curious, too.

I would recommend "Control Domination" (1999). For me this full-length stands out due to the diversity of the material - each composition has it's "face" & individual unique quality to offer, whether it is the sickening flanger overdose of the introductory "Faithless (Daybreak)", the insect-swarming misanthropic allegory of "Locust Day" (very hateful echo-heavy vocal performance here) or the anti-religious protest of "Faith Healer" (samples of thrilling strings (?) are awesome). Also would be a good idea to check out some of the "Sermons" - "Righteousness" and "Retribution" are some of the most powerful in the series, exactly what you need if you want something mechanical & industrial.

HongKongGoolagong

Honestly, the compilation of stray compilation tracks 'Shards Of Ordnance' is as good as anything else for an introduction - great packaging and information and texts too.

The best full-length works are The Eighth Pillar, the Sermons 7" series, Colour Of A Man's Skin and the recent How Welcome Is Death To I.

BlackHole

I think the "Rome Songs" 10", "Colour Of a Mans Skin", or any of the "Sermons" 7"s, especially "Go Violently" are a good place to start with Con-Dom.

The new album, "How Welcome Is Death To I...", while an incredible album, doesn't really exemplify Con-Dom very well, but I would still say it is absolutely mandatory listening.

F_c_O

Colour of Man's Skin (the classic)
All in Good Faith (in my opinion his best)
Even More Racial Hatred (good example of his early live tape days)

david lloyd jones

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on April 25, 2017, 03:02:06 AM

Honestly, the compilation of stray compilation tracks 'Shards Of Ordnance' is as good as anything else for an introduction - great packaging and information and texts too.

The best full-length works are The Eighth Pillar, the Sermons 7" series, Colour Of A Man's Skin and the recent How Welcome Is Death To I.

agree with this.shards is excellent comp and also intro. full lengths also, best complete works.
get as can.

BlackHole

Is the 2x cassette version of Shards still available anywhere?

Thor

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 03, 2016, 05:10:52 PM
Listened album today again and it is album that appears to grow more. With 3 LP's worth of Atrax Morgue before putting Con-Dom on turntable, one could really appreciate the depth of compositions and substance. Not that there was something wrong with A.M. either. Still, with few flaws I wrote about before, album is unique in the genre and superior in comparison to A LOT of groups. Like pointed by some, Con-Dom clearly presents the strongest new material out of anyone from old league of England. It also manages to take its substance to new direction without delivering just the expected.
I don't get those flaws you talk about. I know the cd had some flaws but at least from my perspective the lp sounds about flawless to me. In fact I'd go as far as saying that it actually had a more audiophile sound than most other p.e. lps I've heard. Maybe this is a thought that you've abandoned since idno, I know that this is an old comment.
Anyway about How welcome is death to I...., I think its the most honest p.e. album I've ever heard. It handles the topic very well, could have been easily made to sound cliché but he does it in bluntly and not too personal. This was a fresh blow to the scene.

terrorist

I know this is likely a trite comment and hopefully my only but I love CON-DOM very much and this project was one of the very first that I was scared to listen to but kept going back. Of course there is nothing to be scared of but that epiphany came later as it likely should with any great artworks. Pure love by me anyways. Thank you kindly Mike. ♥☻♥
☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩
hmhs.storenvy.com
terrorist.storenvy.com
noisevirus.bandcamp.com
ignorantear.bandcamp.com
dysgeusiarecords.tumblr.com
dysgeusiarecords.bandcamp.com
☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: terrorist on January 07, 2018, 04:36:36 AM
this project was one of the very first that I was scared to listen to but kept going back.

Interesting how that happens. I've been the same myself with one or two things. Certainly something that impresses itself on you, no matter how, is going to remain with you. I recall an old audio interview Dando had on his old website in which he said that a performance (or indeed recording) can make an impression on someone that they would not rationalise until some time afterwards. So it's something he's often deliberately going for.
Shikata ga nai.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: terrorist on January 07, 2018, 04:36:36 AM
I know this is likely a trite comment and hopefully my only but I love CON-DOM very much and this project was one of the very first that I was scared to listen to but kept going back. Of course there is nothing to be scared of but that epiphany came later as it likely should with any great artworks. Pure love by me anyways. Thank you kindly Mike. ♥☻♥

Certainly not trite. Dando treads the line with his subject matter in a way that genuinely provokes thought rather than invoking confirmation bias or being blindly contrarian, you end up spending as much time thinking about the work as enjoying it.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: musichater on May 18, 2018, 04:39:51 AM
thta said, does the LP version have the annoying gaps between tracks that the digital version has?

No, and also sound of LP is slightly more saturated in cut, what makes many tracks have the little more dirt what makes them better. 3-side vinyl version in box is of course way more expensive, but these two things make it better option to listen to! No gaps + little more dirt and punch!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net