Favourite Black Leather Jesus releases?

Started by Moral Defeat, January 11, 2017, 01:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moral Defeat

Any recommendations for releases that stand out in their massive discography?

breidahl

I was reading this interview on musiquemachine.com and the members recommended these ones:

Richard Jesus is Stoned (tape) 1993. I have not heard this tape in forever. It seems to get lots of positive feedback from the rare ones that have it or heard it.

A.N.T.I. (tape) 1993. One of our first total wall noise releases. I still love how this sounds and is a favorite of Sam McKinley (The Rita).

Ho/Mo/Sexual (tape) 1995. It features the late, Kevin Ogg (Fetus Furs) and I love the gritty sound that we created on that particular release.

Werewolf Jerusalem (tape/anti-record)1995. Obviously my solo project name came from this release. It was a live recording that featured David Gilden, Scott Houston, and Randi Shrum. It is  very dense and recently heard it again. I still like how it sounds.

Smut (tape) 1995. Another live recordings release that featured David Gilden in the lineup. We had so much fun with those performances.

SM (tape) 1995. I do not have  a copy of this recording anymore. Wish I did. I remember really liking this release. It was recorded in an old metal shop in our warehouse district of Houston. So much fun!!!

Trocar (lp) 2002. I love what Kevin Novak (T.E.F.) did with this release. It is very dense and he is a great noise maker.

You Will Do As Your Master Commands (7inch) 2011. The chaos in this record is some of my favorite moments recording. Junk noise the way I like it.

Even Deeper (tape) 2012. I remember this recording session and enjoyed the experience. It features members of our group from Dallas.

Cum All (tape 2013. Another fond recording session with the current lineup. I love our current lineup.

Sean This is tough, because a number of my favorites are recordings that are still in the process of being released. Most of the ones I really like I like because of the interplay of the individual voices, and the tension between electronic and raw sounds. In no particular order:

Decaying Behavior -our split with The Haters. Along with A Purpose Not Necessary with Incapacitants, this was the best of the stuff we recorded not long after I joined BLJ. Some of the work I did before this with the band I thought missed the mark. This was one of the first times I felt like I really 'got it'
Slow Heat In A Texas Town, this and French Pissing are a couple of favorites from a period that was primarily electronic noise, synth and feedback loops, and Richard's raw metal sounds. Both released by essentially the same label (Petite Soles/4-Eyes are two sides of the same great coin).
You Will Do As Your Master Commands-I may be biased, but this is a great 7¡nc. Dynamic and diverse 'big-band' chaos on the A-side, with a thick, almost wall-ish track on B-side. Really showcases the different approaches BLJ is capable of.
The yet-to-be-released favorites are our collaboration with Blue Sabbath Black Cheer and our collaboration with Cosmic Coincidence. On both I loved the way the material changed the source of both groups once mixed, leading to amazing, dense pieces wherein individual sources were rendered almost unrecognizable to yield an all new thing. An astonishing metamorphosis, and two releases I cannot wait to see unleashed on the world.

http://www.musiquemachine.com/articles/articles_template.php?id=332

Moral Defeat

Hi Martin, thanks! lot's of stuff to dig into there.

cr

Among others, I like 'United States of Persuasion'.

Deadpriest

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Baglady

Crossburnt tape on E.F. Productions (side A is definitely my favorite BLJ material), the Torture Machinist reissue on CD and... I don't know, the Torturous Chapter tape on Old Europa Café perhaps.

Moral Defeat

Thanks everyone, some more stuff to check out for sure. I personally really like the ''Yes, sir (Filth play)'' from 2009

collapsedhole

i like 'prove to me your more than meat' as well.... also 'skuff' cd comes to mind..

i'd really enjoy it if some super obsessed fanatic wrote a paper about richards noise career, including hundreds of reviews and in-depth analysis of styles and progressions!

jadderly

Quote from: cr on January 14, 2017, 05:13:29 PM
Among others, I like 'United States of Persuasion'.

I got this in a lot of CDs a couple of years ago. Not sure if I listened to it or not. I should probably dig it out and set aside to listen to next week.

Deadpriest

My favourite one is their split with Haters though (the only Haters material I've liked -never seen them  live though) but that had already been mentioned.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think for BLJ, one can go for pretty much ANY old tape. If it is 90's and BLJ, it's most likely to be good. Same for Ramirez works in general. When you proceed to 2000's and especially last 10-15 years, I'd say one needs to be vastly more cautious. Or lets say, it depends do you like HNW and how much of his stuff you already have. If I'd see some 90's deadline recordings tape I don't have, for reasonable price, I'd grab it without hesitation. If I see his yet another new HNW side-project announced, I won't. Except every now and then I may check to make sure if my conclusion is correct. And get proven 100% accurate by releases like Crash At Every Speed LP.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 03, 2017, 10:41:20 AM
I think for BLJ, one can go for pretty much ANY old tape. If it is 90's and BLJ, it's most likely to be good. Same for Ramirez works in general.
agreed
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Deadpriest

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 03, 2017, 10:41:20 AM
I think for BLJ, one can go for pretty much ANY old tape. If it is 90's and BLJ, it's most likely to be good. Same for Ramirez works in general.

I've been spending a lot of time with the 90's BLJ and RR material that's been re-issued recently and there is SO MUCH quality among these tapes. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the amount of variety between some of the releases. These have me just as excited as when Rodger re-issued the Macro tapes years ago. A quick overview of some of the releases that stand out to me.

The heavy hitters - I won't go into the subtle details between each release as it would be tedious to describe the varying levels of density that make each unique, but these are all essential listening. Each one is pummeling in the best possible way. These are the crack you over the skull heavy BLJ releases.
False Machinery Loaded - Top 3 for me
Sex in the Name of God - Top 3 for me
Gods of Ceremony
Liar By Wound
Gauze

More varied or dynamic releases:
BLJ/Richard Ramirez - self-titled split - Both sides on this one are excellent. I think the Ramirez side is one of my favorite solo RR tracks.
Werewolf Jerusalem - An undulating grating and grinding of excellent metal textural work. Fantastic release, would likely round out my top 3.
Crossburnt - mash-up style of recordings edited together in an almost Rodger Stella fashion. Solid!
Bacteria Culture - I like the contrast of dynamics on this one a lot. Side A is more minimal textural work that progresses and doesn't stagnant. Side B is very naked junk metal and feedback abuse with lots of space between sounds. Might not be to everyone's liking and not exactly essential, but I enjoy this one.
Event - 1998, I want to say Kevin Novak was on this release, but I might be wrong. Whatever the line-up is, there is a refined and dialed in sound between members that works very very well.