Your pet peevees about records

Started by F_c_O, October 21, 2016, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleak Existence

i remember when i used to buy lp i liked when fucking rpm was writen on them suck to listen to a noise vinyl at wrong speed

cantle

holy ghost

That I can't find a fucking vinyl copy of Diamond Head "Lighting to the Nations" but you can buy every dumb reissue under the sun. Like with all these reissues why not reissue something crucial?

Steve

I can't find a fucking vinyl copy of Diamond Head "Lighting to the Nations"
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2129343?ev=rb

david lloyd jones

clicks, scratches, hiss, expense as per cd's.,
cheap euro pressing vs bespoke uk ones.
the worse sound of coloured or pic disks.
their shortness as compared to cd's when sitting down (a purely lazy observation)
blah blah, blah.
will still buy vynil whatever the drawbacks.

SinkSlopProcessing

- Picture discs and lathe cuts (both objectively sound terrible, and serve no purpose other than as an object d'art to hang on your wall). Kind of a bummer to have to re-purchase an album just to get a decent-sounding copy.

- Taking the same master used to create the CD, making little or no changes, not altering the track order for density, and then just slapping it onto vinyl. Lost count of how many records I purchased that clearly sound worse than the CD because of this.

- For older albums: Not breaking out the original master tapes for a remaster. Unless they specifically state otherwise, you can bet your arse they just used the CD.
Sink Slop Processing :: Prescription-Strength Noise
www.sinkslop.com

holy ghost

Quote from: Steve on October 23, 2016, 11:26:30 AM
I can't find a fucking vinyl copy of Diamond Head "Lighting to the Nations"
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2129343?ev=rb

I assumed "for a reasonable price" was implied yet here we are....

F_c_O

The Vetala/Mons Veneris split 12" has so small middle hole in it that when i try to fucking lift it, the whole vinyl bends. I have no idea how to get it out now that I have listened to one side without breaking or bending it too much. For fucks sake.

https://imgur.com/a/5EIxf

Thanks Altare Productions for this! Before anyone says anything, you should be able to see that the other side of the vinyl is of the slipmat so it isnt leaning against it or anything or i am not otherwise deliberaly bending it. The center hole is just so fucking small on it. As you can imagine, now the lp is lopsided but at least its listenable.

The mons veneris side slays though.

holy ghost

Ugh when the middle hole is too small, very obnoxious! I also constantly loose that thing for "large hole" 45s, like come on!!! Why are you still making these?!?!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: F_c_O on November 06, 2016, 01:07:40 PM
The Vetala/Mons Veneris split 12" has so small middle hole in it that when i try to fucking lift it, the whole vinyl bends. I have no idea how to get it out now that I have listened to one side without breaking or bending it too much. For fucks sake.

Thanks Altare Productions for this! Before anyone says anything, you should be able to see that the other side of the vinyl is of the slipmat so it isnt leaning against it or anything or i am not otherwise deliberaly bending it. The center hole is just so fucking small on it. As you can imagine, now the lp is lopsided but at least its listenable.

why did you force it in the first place?
any vinyl that seems to snug gets a shave from me.

F_c_O

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 07, 2016, 05:14:59 PM

cause i paid for it and wanted to listen to it. duh.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: F_c_O on November 07, 2016, 05:30:05 PM

well, yes, but why try and force it and not accept its' tightness and seek to remedy-this has been my standard practice for years, as some pressing are too small for the turntable spindle

impulse manslaughter

I use a pair of scissors to make the hole a bit larger. Push the scissors in and twist/turn to scrape off a thin layer of vinyl..

F_c_O

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 07, 2016, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: F_c_O on November 07, 2016, 05:30:05 PM

well, yes, but why try and force it and not accept its' tightness and seek to remedy-this has been my standard practice for years, as some pressing are too small for the turntable spindle
hasnt happened in past so i thought it wouldnt happen this time either. guess lesson learned.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Unfair perhaps but I see a few people here who would be - to paraphrase Henry Rollins - far too easy to kill in an Urban Environment. Some urgent toughening up and reprioritising of priorities are in order. This genre is for killers, not damsels in distress because "the hole is too small". Go away and return to base in 4 weeks as Born Again Hards!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...