Broken reel to reel, need help

Started by Lukas, October 13, 2016, 02:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas

Got my first reel to reel recorder recently and it does not function like it should. I'm a total beginner and on top of that I'm rather bad at understanding the technical aspect of gear.
The recorder is a Bang&Olufsen Beocord 2000 De Luxe. I tried it out with some old tape and it didn't play. I figured it could be because of the tape's rough condition. So I tried the RW,FW and play functions without tape. The first couple of tries RW and FW worked at the slowest speed. The play function did not work, it spinned a few turns but then it stops. None of the functions works on the two faster speeds.
Does anyone know what the problem could be? I googled a bit but being the noob I am I can't really understand all the technical talk on most forums.
Some really easily understood advice is very appreciated.

Theodore

I don't know about reel to reel, never had one, so i can't really help. Not more than advice you to create an account and ask here : http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

But since you say you cannot really understand the technical talk, then i guess any advice will be pretty much useless. How to fix something when you don't understand it ? But ask there anyway ! Maybe it's something really simple, maybe it needs service from an expert.

Also find / download the service manual of the machine. They have images etc. It will help you understand more, maybe.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"