Galakthorrö Appreciation Thread

Started by vomitgore, August 28, 2016, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vomitgore

Galakthorrö should probably be known to everyone who is into (Post-) Industrial culture. Run by Haus Arafna / November Növelet, they have been doing high quality releases pretty much since day one. Artists include Hermann Kopp, Maska Genetik, Herz Jühning, Te/DIS, Tanz ohne Musik etc.

I think Galakthorrö also has a great role as a kind of gateway band. Not sure if this is more of a "German" phenomenon, but most people name Haus Arafna as the project that lead them to "real" PE, Industrial Noise etc. (not that early Haus Arafna was too far from that). Maybe it would be safe to say that Haus Arafna fills a spot between more "consumable" Industrial and more rugged and harsh material that nobody else really does?

Also, another point is simply that of undisputable quality. Labels like Aufnahme + Wiedergabe have been releasing solid wave / synthpop material, but it seems that November Növelet "Magic" or more "structured" works of the Galakthorrö catalogue are simply unreachable. Also, it would be interesting to note that even filth purists often still have a weak spot for softer Galakthorrö material.

Apart from the works by the label owners themselves, there is tons to discover. One can't argue with the coldness of Maska Genetik "Strada" or the great compositional skills of Herz Jühning. Also, the Hermann Kopp CDs on Galakthorrö are his best works for me, maybe only matched by the "Nekromantik" soundtrack. It seems like quality control and stringency have resulted in a discography that is not only (mostly) free of fallouts but also distinct from pretty much any other one.

Any thoughts on relevance (maybe over-hypedness, heh), best works etc?

BlackHole

I've honestly only listened to Haus Arafna and November Novelet, however both of them are two of my favorite projects currently. I have been meaning to check out of the other projects under their banner. What ones would you recommend the most?

vomitgore

I would say Subliminal is highly recommended to fans of harsher HA material that borders on PE. Maska Genetik and Herz Jühning are also personal favorites when it comes to the "cold" Industrial style. Not really aggressive, but still not as "soft" as the Synthpoppish material.

tiny_tove

Big fan of label and most projects, including more eperimental stuff (her Koppf!).

i remember when Blut came out wherever you went, you couldn't help shaking.

I really like the way the pack things and the overal sense of coldness.

Subliminal is total cult and i hope Maska Genetik will do more.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

vomitgore

Hoping so, too! But the description from the label site sounds pretty glum, sadly.

"Unfortunately there was more than mere dark electronics to contend with, there was also a dark attitude to life, and all the difficult living conditions that that (sic) causes. That is what has prevented Amon Radek from continuing on this path. It always hits the innocents of this world, as everybody knows. Life can still be a tragedy.

(...)

Oh well, what can we say. The future looks pretty undecided, but as far as we know, he hasn't yet sold his equipment. We can but hope..."

Jack

First of all, MASKA GENETIK was unknown to me before reading of them in this thread, so thanks to those who recommended them; this is excellent stuff, extremely despondent.

I am planning to soon make an order with Galakthorro. Which are considered the essential HAUS ARAFNA releases, or best places to start?

Further, are there any significant differences between the two HERMANN KOPP CDs available?

Many thanks.

Ritual

Concerning Haus Arafna, it depends on what you expect from them. If you want aggressive industrial, bordering on power electronics, start with Blut and go from there to Children Of God. But I think all of their releases are good. Latter ones are more melodic and musical. Possibly, New York Rhapsody as an album is the weakest, but it's got some really good tracks.

vomitgore

Definitely agree regarding your choices in their early discography. I would say "You" displays the upsides of "new" Haus Arafna perfectly. So maybe start with "Blut" and "You" and see which kind of style works best for you?

Jack

totalblack

Out today for preorder:

Galakthorrö 045: Herz Jühning "Samsara" LP/CD
Galakthorrö 046: Tanz Ohne Musik "Night" 7 inch EP
Galakthorrö 006: Haus Arafna "Blut + Nachblutung" 2LP

Really glad that about the H.A. vinyl issue of Blut, as well as second Herz Jühning LP

Scat-O-Logy

New Herz Jühning LP came out of the blue, I thought the project was gone. Have fond memories of the debut LP so had to grab this one.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: totalblack on June 27, 2018, 10:43:50 PM
Out today for preorder:

600 copies sold out in a day? What the hell...
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

totalblack

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on June 28, 2018, 07:23:31 PM
Quote from: totalblack on June 27, 2018, 10:43:50 PM
Out today for preorder:

600 copies sold out in a day? What the hell...

Not super surprising - its a classic and I believe the "Children Of God" LP repress sold out in a similar amount of time. the T.O.M. 7" looks to be sold out too

Ritual

Some of the 600 copies will go to distributors, so keep an eye out when the release date draws near.

bitewerksMTB

Do they have any U.S. distribution? I think I remember Malignant stopped b/c they packaged shitty & refused to do anything about damaged items.