Illusion of Safety

Started by NO PART OF IT, July 07, 2016, 09:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO PART OF IT

As a matter of full disclosure, I have released something by this artist, but I don't need to talk about it here.   I just find it odd how nobody talks about Illusion of Safety.  It's an act that has a remarkable body of work, and most people into noise know about him, yet, people often seem to have a point of departure, which is strange to me. 

Looking backward, it seems that IOS consistently went into new territory while still keeping a signature sound, and to me, should stand up with the rest of the forebearers, certainly there have been releases on prominent labels for just about as long as the project has existed.

My list of favorites by IOS eclipse the quality level of most other artists I am aware of.

One of the more recent releases, Bridges Intact, uses a sort of jazz trio format and wrangles it to come off like a darkly tinged musique concret album.

More Violence & Geography is probably my favorite, with the simplistic sampling and ushering in of "industrial ambient" territory, and the industrial anthem if there ever were one, "Fade N Die"...

Holeist/IOS spit LP features Eric Lunde as part of IOS doing tape work on a 4 track in someone's bedroom, mixed with live recordings of a soundtracky/tape loop montage that is unparalleled as far as I'm concerned. 

Probe features Jim O'Rourke and is a very spacial release dealing with lots of tension being built and cinematic bursts, mixed with a sort of synth treatment of improvised guitar, as I recall.

There are a number of other things that are just perfectly executed industrial masterpieces as far as I'm concerned:  Inside Agitator, Historical, Cancer, Water Seeks Its Own Level, Repairs (live tape manipulation/loops and real time sound collage from '86), From Nothing to Less (featuring Thymme Jones in 1988), Bad Karma, Fifteen, RVE, etc. 

Later material admittedly (and admitted by the artist himself) was more computer-oriented and maybe with that, less quality control, but still, Mort Aux Vaches is still great ambient industrial or maybe even "death ambient".  "Live at No Fun 2008" is a perfect use of dark textural field recording manipulation mixed with modular synths weaving in and out of the stereo spectrum.  "Sweet Dreams" and "Sedation & Quell" are definitely ambient works, but still at the top of their game in that realm. 

I guess it's sort of a greater discussion about whether people want an artist to change and evolve or continue to do the one thing people like and expect of them. 

I for one saw IOS do a modular set for an hour and was not bored for a minute.  He is no stranger to his devices, and has seemingly picked up on it quicker than a lot of other synth people. 

I'll paste an excerpt from a review on Heathen Harvest that sort of suggests that the expectations were not met, and therefore, something must be wrong.  Is anxiety-inducing music not preferred to music that allows escape?  Which is better?

Indeed, I felt the recurring anxiety of not being led into an experience, but rather another soundtrack to my own surroundings.  Surrender didn't take me somewhere else, it only sunk me further into my own fractured thoughts.

It is with that said that one can't help but struggle to find a sincere connection to what Illusion of Safety has created here.  Impressive as it may be, it is simply too abstractly distant to form a bond with.
https://heathenharvest.org/2015/09/23/illusion-of-safety-surrender/

I would be curious to know what other peoples' opinions are about Illusion of Safety's body of work, as it seems to have ended with a final show in 2014, featuring Mitch Enderle of DEAD TECH, a project that came before IOS, and is definitely worth exploring (with their long out of print c60, which is youtube in its entirety).   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5FowTyDnE

Thanks for reading. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

chewslife

Have followed his work closely since the early 90s. Saw him live in 1996 (perhaps 1997), in Oakland, CA, with Tribes of Neurot and Noisegate opening. Excellent performance, one of my favorite live experiences to date.

To my tastes, the essential albums are: Bad Karma / Cancer / Historical / Inside Agitator / More Violence and Geography / Probe / Water Seeks It's Own Level

Dan has a vimeo page with some IOS and other material here: https://vimeo.com/danburke

Bloated Slutbag

I would consider myself a fairly committed IOS asslicker. IOS were, along with NWW (and Swans Public Castration), my first entry proper to the world of Cool Music. I have probably spent more time with IOS in the earhole than any other experimental-industrial-noise-etc unit bar none. I've got a box of Complacency tapes that I will never part with. In highschool I wore with pride my "Illusion Of Safety... Gives You That Soaring Feeling" tee. Once in the early days of usenet/internet, I bought some records from a collection Jim O'Rourke was selling off, and I was beside myself in starry eyes- "THE Jim O'Rourke, of IOS fame?" (membership in IOS then to be regarded as his single greatest accomplishment, possibly still to this day, heh)

etc

Love me some IOS.  First hit was the split with Holeist. Not sure to whom principle responsibility/blame is to be assigned, but "Soileth" is possibly THE great industrial-strength anthem of all time; what I would immediately put on were anyone ever to ask me to define "industrial music". (No one ever did, but I was ready with just the goods if they had.)

More Violence And Geography got a lot of play on Toronto area college radio back in the day. "Mostly scary" the Complacency catalog said and I was already hooked before I even heard the damn thing.

It's frankly hard to choose favorites, though the essentials have been covered. Historical, Water Seeks, Probe, RVE.. Cancer has some particularly great atmosphere on it... but that is what makes IOS for me: the consistently warped, disembodied, dread atmosphere. Dread. Atmosphere. Of Dread. That and the sheer compositional skill/artistry in play.

To the criticism copy-pasted

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on July 07, 2016, 09:01:57 AM
Indeed, I felt the recurring anxiety of not being led into an experience, but rather another soundtrack to my own surroundings.  Surrender didn't take me somewhere else, it only sunk me further into my own fractured thoughts.

It is with that said that one can't help but struggle to find a sincere connection to what Illusion of Safety has created here.  Impressive as it may be, it is simply too abstractly distant to form a bond with.
https://heathenharvest.org/2015/09/23/illusion-of-safety-surrender/

We're getting to that same old subject that tends to dance around the more abstract kind of sound art: story, or (apparent) lack thereof. Even before I read some of this same critic's other reviews (the few that were not connected, if loosely, to the neo-folk / black metal vein), I figured he was more about story. Story, in brief: some sense of something beyond the sounds driving the work. I'm all for that, but I will also say that such preoccupation requires a certain leap of faith from the listener. Which some may be more willing to make than others. One may buy into it, but one could just as easily blot it all out and focus exclusively upon what is entering the earhole... and then what? Water seeks its own level. (I had a lot more to say on this, complete with copy-pastings of my own, but will leave it for now.)

I keep thinking in this point back to when Bad Karma first came out, how it was hailed as some kind of return to form. People wanted that story, that warped darkened disturbance. Dread atmosphere. Bad Karma delivered. But did it? I love Bad Karma, easily among the faves, but for me it wasn't any kind of return to anything. (How bout Of & The?) It was simply another great piece of IOS.

I say all this realizing that I haven't really paid IOS much attention in the last several years, including the release commented upon in the above-linked review. (Since sampled, now being corrected.) Maybe I've lost sight of IOS in my search for story... humorist surrealist NWW antics...  melancholic pe... toward the epic... "dark" classical... comb about polywave... etc etc etc

I am such a fucking wanker.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 13, 2016, 07:51:27 PM

I keep thinking in this point back to when Bad Karma first came out, how it was hailed as some kind of return to form. People wanted that story, that warped darkened disturbance. Dread atmosphere. Bad Karma delivered. But did it? I love Bad Karma, easily among the faves, but for me it wasn't any kind of return to anything. (How bout Of & The?) It was simply another great piece of IOS.

I say all this realizing that I haven't really paid IOS much attention in the last several years, including the release commented upon in the above-linked review. (Since sampled, now being corrected.) Maybe I've lost sight of IOS in my search for story... humorist surrealist NWW antics...  melancholic pe... toward the epic... "dark" classical... comb about polywave... etc etc etc

I am such a fucking wanker.

See, I missed this whole boat, and I like to get this history, I appreciate it.  I can only imagine the context of getting a mail order newsletter in the mail from Complacency.  Wanking or ass-licking or not, I do appreciate it.  I didn't get into that direction until well after the wave had crashed.  I make regular appearances at WZRD, where Dan Burke used to DJ in the 80s, among others, and there are piles of these old releases.   

The thing about Bad Karma, is I see it as just another step in the ladder of the artist, I don't think it needed to be a "return to form", because the form never left to me.  Too many people sound the same on every release, but Illusion of Safety went all over the place, and arguably still had everything anchored in some unique level of dread somehow. 

When I was writing for WFMU, I posted 8 hours of Dan's Dj sets on WZRD in 1988, if you're interested.  In some of them, he is telling listeners to call for a contact mailing address if you would like a copy.  In some of them, there are sound collages where there are two studios active at the same time, and either Kevin Drumm or Thymme Jones (Cheer-Accident) are in Studio B making additional noise. 
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2012/04/8-hours-of-daniel-burke-illusion-of-safety-as-dj-on-wzrd-circa-1988-mp3.html

People will continue to make music and noise, but the context of the experience of these things happening in the moment, a golden age as much as any other, can't be recovered in the same way.   

I've been told that Illusion of Safety officially ended with their last show in 2014, but I tried to get places to release box sets, and the reply, if any, is that no one is buying.  I know Dan has tons of stuff in his cupboard. 

He's moved on to a more modular project called "Soundoferror", so far, I guess this is the only official release to date, but there will be more soon.  I personally have my preferences, but this stuff is still good to my ears, although I'm not the biggest synth guy.  Maybe I'm biased.  https://gameoflife.bandcamp.com/album/soundoferror-modern-magic

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

FreakAnimalFinland

It's pretty lame to take part in topic after such extensive messages to only conclude I like IoS, but was never highly captured by them. It has been project, I have liked everything I have bought. But it's never been something I have hunted for. Most works I own more because of label, than the band. Either that I wanted everything by Tesco, or happened to be in touch with certain label in the time they put out IoS. But hardly ever consciously went to purchase bands material just for sake of it being good.

Last time I listened Fifteen · Finite Material Context CD reissue (functional), I just came into conclusion, I should get more of this stuff. But have not.

I did see IoS live at one fest. This was guy with lap top, which made me leave very quickly. Was it foolish to turn down live just because it was "lap top"? Well... From material such as Cancer or  Fifteen · Finite Material Context, I don't get impression is "guy with laptop". When it was gig where I saw nothing but that, I just wanted to hold on my old experience with old IoS stuff and my mental image how this multi-person group would create the stuff.

Should make inventory of all what I have and see what else is out there. Still feel most tempted to re-visit Functional's reissue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtWMkS3HnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT92treQvmI
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

acsenger

Last year I listened to all IoS I have and concluded that while most of them have parts that I really like, at the same time they also have parts, quite a lot of them, that just ruin the albums for me. There might be a killer section with that unsettling and dark atmosphere IoS is known for followed by long sections where nothing exciting happens. This was my opinion of Inside Agitator, Water Seeks Its Own Level and Bad Karma.
Then there's stuff I didn't like at all: Fin de Siecle and Children of the Fear of Truth.
Some releases I like, but these are more in the ambientish or sound art vein: the split CD with Randy Greif and the IoS/Hands To/Beequeen split CD. I also remember really liking Fifteen/Finite Material Context when I listened to it a number of times a long time ago and am looking forward to listening to it again soon.
Regardless, there are some releases (More Violence and Geography, Historical, Probe, Cancer) I'd be curious to hear, but I don't know, to be honest, how much I'd like them.

Non-IoS, but the Dan Burke/Randy Greif collab CD called Fragment 56 is quite a pleasant album, although I'm not crazy about it. Then there's Burke's project Groovy with a self-titled CD. Discogs says its style is acid jazz -- I have no idea if this is true, but it's some sort of electronic beat music which is not my cup of tea.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 16, 2016, 01:37:49 PM

Last time I listened Fifteen · Finite Material Context CD reissue (functional), I just came into conclusion, I should get more of this stuff. But have not.

I did see IoS live at one fest. This was guy with lap top, which made me leave very quickly. Was it foolish to turn down live just because it was "lap top"? Well... From material such as Cancer or  Fifteen · Finite Material Context, I don't get impression is "guy with laptop". When it was gig where I saw nothing but that, I just wanted to hold on my old experience with old IoS stuff and my mental image how this multi-person group would create the stuff.

Should make inventory of all what I have and see what else is out there. Still feel most tempted to re-visit Functional's reissue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtWMkS3HnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT92treQvmI

Thanks for sharing that live in Dekalb track!  That's great! 

If you don't own Historical, I think you might like that one.  It originally came with a live bullet, but was reissued in regular jewel case CD.  I think that one has the textures you'd be into.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMx8IP8pTrk

As for laptops, I get it.  I don't ever want to do a live laptop set, but when you saw him, it was probably a new thing.  To be honest, he has told me that he doesn't look back to that period with very much fondness, in so many words.  That said, he performed on my old radio show with a laptop and a number of other electronics, and it was great (for me at least). 

Quote from: acsenger on July 17, 2016, 05:05:59 AM
Last year I listened to all IoS I have and concluded that while most of them have parts that I really like, at the same time they also have parts, quite a lot of them, that just ruin the albums for me. There might be a killer section with that unsettling and dark atmosphere IoS is known for followed by long sections where nothing exciting happens. This was my opinion of Inside Agitator, Water Seeks Its Own Level and Bad Karma.
Then there's stuff I didn't like at all: Fin de Siecle and Children of the Fear of Truth.
Some releases I like, but these are more in the ambientish or sound art vein: the split CD with Randy Greif and the IoS/Hands To/Beequeen split CD. I also remember really liking Fifteen/Finite Material Context when I listened to it a number of times a long time ago and am looking forward to listening to it again soon.
Regardless, there are some releases (More Violence and Geography, Historical, Probe, Cancer) I'd be curious to hear, but I don't know, to be honest, how much I'd like them.

Non-IoS, but the Dan Burke/Randy Greif collab CD called Fragment 56 is quite a pleasant album, although I'm not crazy about it. Then there's Burke's project Groovy with a self-titled CD. Discogs says its style is acid jazz -- I have no idea if this is true, but it's some sort of electronic beat music which is not my cup of tea.

Based on what you've said, I think you'd probably like More Violence and Geography at least.   The others, I don't know, because I don't see too many flaws with the ones that had tracks that ruined it for you. 

I don't have Fin de Siecle, or the splits you mentioned.  I do have the tape on Banned Production, and I can see where you're coming from on that one.  It's an odd one. 

The collaboration with Randy Greif is in line with my opinion of Greif's material.  I think it is of a very high quality.  I can't say what I don't specifically like about it, but I just don't need to return to it much.   The CD with Damian Bisciglia's art kind of carries the sound into a bit of a surrealistic fish tank feeling that I do like.  His art is great.  I remember hearing about his suicide when it happened.  https://www.discogs.com/artist/439962-Damian-Bisciglia?filter_anv=0&subtype=Visual&type=Credits

I have the Groovy CD, and I'd say it's in line with Thrill Kill Kult and Lords of Acid (electronic beat stuff), but I think there is an element of some sort of electronic exotica happening.  There is also Fixated, which is more sex themed electronic beat stuff, but more dancey.  I like it, but it's not a frequent listen by any means. There are some catchy parts, for what it's worth.   These things are perfectly reasonable to expect to happen in Chicago in 1993.   https://www.discogs.com/Fixated-The-Seven-Inches-Of-The-Apocalypse/release/439879

Bloated Slutbag

My main reason for posting again in here is for the opportunity to spew more shit about IOS. But ostensibly, since people seem to be kinda sorta asking for recommendations, especially if they dig Fifteen – Finite Material Context...

Quote from: acsenger on July 17, 2016, 05:05:59 AMRegardless, there are some releases (More Violence and Geography, Historical, Probe, Cancer) I'd be curious to hear

And I had to laugh since those are probably the first four I would recommend, almost in that order. (Maybe put Cancer before Historical and you're set.) I'd chime in that More Violence and Geography would very probably be up your alley. Very consistent in tone while delivering a range of mostly grim texture. None of those "parts that just ruin the albums" as to be heard on Bad Karma and Inside Agitator.

Bad Karma I've always been fine with, but Inside Agitator is definitely the prime non-candidate. I first heard it on the radio and of course it had to be one of the damn beat-oriented tracks... I literally almost cried. When I broke down (much) later and bought the damn thing I was forced again to break down and cry. "Good lord, what were they thinking?" I was definitely agitatin' on the inside. But no, speaking of probe, that was just me-with-pickle-up-butt being unfair. The album was "ruined", yes, but there were enough moments of the desired dread atmos to bring it back for me. Not until quite recently did I ever feel inclined return to anything but the favored moments- of dread atmos. Now, having retrieved the pickle from the butt (and jammed it down my throat), I rather enjoy the strain of trying to "get" the whole damn thing (er..), warts, wtfs n' all (an approach that now strains all my listening. I suppose I once saw myself as an "active listener", but perhaps "reactive listener" would be a better descriptor, I digress...)

On the subject of pickles, warts 'n wtfs, I think I've always regarded IOS as coming, broadly, from the field of what's sometimes called "radio sound art". I'm thinking endless warped and wonky collages as you would often hear on college radio... as practically defined college radio (for me, in Toronto, at the time). Amid dense and disorienting clusters of fuckedupshit, long streaks of better-forgotten plunderphonics, loops, fragments of music, beats, ceremonial tribal shite, etc. Warped and wacked juxtoposition that as often works as does not. But also potentially huge and all-consuming abyss of experimentation. Darkness and dread. (Black) humor and (public) disturbance. Music and non-music. So on and so forth. This type of thing does not seem designed to "grab" you (and drag you, kicking and screaming, into the abyss), but more to just take a (bad) trip and just... see what happens. The earlier-mentioned Heathen Harvest reviewer appears to want themes, context, story. (Just to add a bit of tar to the brush, I often feel that people coming at this field via the metal side of things tend to want a bit more story.. a bit more dungeons n dragons or something, I digress...) Themes, context, story. They are there, if you want them, but they are also not there, if you don't. IOS, then, as a huge and burly abyss of ideas, bubbling and percolating, D. Burke as wacky chemist tinkering about in the soundlab... or possibly that weird uncle or "friend of the family" you see from time to time-  y'know, the one who disappeared just before Y2K... seeking new and dis-shevelled re-combinations and discombobulations. I confess I often imagine the man cackling evilly to himself while he records the shit, though if Mixmaster Burke was ever coming from the field of radio sound art, he was coming at it in the right direction, streaks of better-forgotten shite kept to the bare minimum (even if they might be sufficient to ruin whole albums for some listeners).

I guess where I'm going with all the above is: IOS belongs in my brain to the field of experimentation proper, with all the warts pickles n wtfs that is to entail. It may be hard for this shit to "grab" you on first go, so maybe the grabbing has to start the other way around. But that of course it helps plenty if the sound perv-veyor is genuinely good at what they do (I've often felt this way about Thomas Dimuzio, just to throw in another name on these lines. Does Dimuzio have his own thread?)

Okay, so let's review the list of immediate recommendations. More Violence And Geography. Then Cancer... though there might be the (very) barest smidgen of "parts that ruin" it, overall a very convincing piece of pure, and occasionally encouragingly rough, atmosphere. Historical starts us off with a bit of looped/plundered "parts that ruin" it, but then gets down to the nitty gritty, some genuinely disturbing moments. Then Probe to kind of round things out in a quiet and understated way, where the tension creeps up on you, slow-like, then makes a good hard effort at wringing a bit of jitter out of the placid calm occupying the space between the holes... and shoving a big fat pickle back in. RVE is also very consistent overall- has this been reissued?- a good piece of deep-pitted, extended, roughed-up, atmos to go with your Cancer. I'd again throw in the Holeist split, with the caveat that just as Holeist side starts with pure genius it then ends with a "part that ruins" it- some damn beat shit (the IOS side is plain great, if not textured in the way that someone enjoying the rougher elements of Fifteen might like). More Altitutude Than Attitude is probably worth picking up for a sense of how loud IOS could get in a live setting, including a very nice cover of TG's "Discipline". Finally, if NO PART OF IT will not directly say so, if you're at all curious about the more recent material, Surrender has some moments of true greatness. Just a huge amount of material/ideas crammed into the massed and messy spectacle, not at all afraid to get plenty full-on the way those with peculiarly special interests like

edit
And take you for a drag

NO PART OF IT

Bloated Slutbag-

1.  Thank you for hitting the nail on the head in one respect:  I'm certain that his interest was not only from inspiration in seeing TG live in 1981, but it was also in being a DJ at WZRD when a number of other weirdos were also there.   Burden of Friendship (featuring Scott Marshall of Panic Records), Research Defense Squad, Kevin Drumm, Thymme Jones, and various "Chicago Noise Ensembles" had their hand in sound collage on the radio, they were called VOIDWATCHES, and some of these folks dipped their toes in the punk movement, opening for Naked Raygun and setting things on fire, etc.  That place is still unlike any other radio station I have been to, and that's not a tiny amount.  http://thewizardchicago.blogspot.com/2009/03/burden-of-friendship.html

2.  Thanks also, I don't think I've seen that t-shirt image before! 

3.  Yes, Surrender is definitely one of my favorites.  I think it has an organic flow to it, in a soundtracky/cinematic way, but is also as you said, a full on mess, stuff flying all over the place.  That's what I like.  At the same time, it could also be perceived as "minimalistic" at times, if you're not paying too much attention.   I didn't know it would be the last Illusion of Safety release, so it's among my favorites for various reasons, and I'm obviously biased. 

Bloated Slutbag

Just thought I'd pop in again to mention one that I just ran across today- Graintext.
http://www.notype.com/drones/cat.e/nt_056/

Surprisingly listenable for what it is – free netlabel release clocking in at 128kb (if that doesn't automatically tune most everyone out I don't know what does...) Minimal, bassy, sometimes very grainy textures that verge on harsh at moments. A few flits of arid field recording to spice things up. Does the job, have given it a few shots already.

Graintext (vaguely) reminded me of another one that has escaped mention- From Nothing To Less. Again very minimal, or minimal degree of processing, based heavily on field recordings, almost sound recordist documentation of various industrial-strength locales, late night street corner, underpass, dockyard, warehouse, locomotion, machine engines, distant throb... very consistent in retaining a rather dark and gloomy atmosphere, creeping into some surprisingly harsh, if relatively spare, moments of full-on metal-on-metal scraping, subway rail-grind, the like. Where Graintext could be the rough sketch, From Nothing To Less would be the fully cinematic fleshing out...

"Fully cinematic fleshing out" might be another defining feature of the project. My first suggestion along these lines would be (the second) Mort Aux Vaches (from 1999). More laid back than particularly drear or dread but the skills at hand are undeniable. More recent offerings (of the fully fleshed cinematic vein) might include The Need To Know, In Session and Sedation & Quell.... smooth, somber, liquid resonances treading into some fairly tense intervals of drama proper. Huge range of sounds and ideas, though never flying off into odd dis-atmospheric conflagrations and distractions that might otherwise "ruin" things. (And all released 2008- obviously a good year!) Time Remaining could also be squeezed into this corner, an interesting experiment- of later IOS revisiting earlier IOS...?

Of the later work, and perhaps the most cinematic of all- Bridges Intact! Take the "free jazz" association suggested by NO PART OF IT. Add to that a hint of spectralism. Biota meets academia in an art gallery. Cacophony (occasionally) ensues. Very musically rooted in any case and just... so... very... well-composed. Hard to fault.

On the subject of distractions, definitely not for those who prefer their attentions settled into a good and absorbing atmos- Distraction. Still for me a kind of perfecting of that radio sound art wtf-edness. One thing becomes certain over the course of the disc- Mr Burke evidently has a shit-ton of diverse and gnarled source material readily at hand, and, when so inclined, very much capable of doing really convincing stuff with it.
And take you for a drag

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 27, 2016, 07:10:03 PM
Just thought I'd pop in again to mention one that I just ran across today- Graintext.
http://www.notype.com/drones/cat.e/nt_056/

Surprisingly listenable for what it is – free netlabel release clocking in at 128kb (if that doesn't automatically tune most everyone out I don't know what does...) Minimal, bassy, sometimes very grainy textures that verge on harsh at moments. A few flits of arid field recording to spice things up. Does the job, have given it a few shots already.

Graintext (vaguely) reminded me of another one that has escaped mention- From Nothing To Less. Again very minimal, or minimal degree of processing, based heavily on field recordings, almost sound recordist documentation of various industrial-strength locales, late night street corner, underpass, dockyard, warehouse, locomotion, machine engines, distant throb... very consistent in retaining a rather dark and gloomy atmosphere, creeping into some surprisingly harsh, if relatively spare, moments of full-on metal-on-metal scraping, subway rail-grind, the like. Where Graintext could be the rough sketch, From Nothing To Less would be the fully cinematic fleshing out...

"Fully cinematic fleshing out" might be another defining feature of the project. My first suggestion along these lines would be (the second) Mort Aux Vaches (from 1999). More laid back than particularly drear or dread but the skills at hand are undeniable. More recent offerings (of the fully fleshed cinematic vein) might include The Need To Know, In Session and Sedation & Quell.... smooth, somber, liquid resonances treading into some fairly tense intervals of drama proper. Huge range of sounds and ideas, though never flying off into odd dis-atmospheric conflagrations and distractions that might otherwise "ruin" things. (And all released 2008- obviously a good year!) Time Remaining could also be squeezed into this corner, an interesting experiment- of later IOS revisiting earlier IOS...?

Of the later work, and perhaps the most cinematic of all- Bridges Intact! Take the "free jazz" association suggested by NO PART OF IT. Add to that a hint of spectralism. Biota meets academia in an art gallery. Cacophony (occasionally) ensues. Very musically rooted in any case and just... so... very... well-composed. Hard to fault.

On the subject of distractions, definitely not for those who prefer their attentions settled into a good and absorbing atmos- Distraction. Still for me a kind of perfecting of that radio sound art wtf-edness. One thing becomes certain over the course of the disc- Mr Burke evidently has a shit-ton of diverse and gnarled source material readily at hand, and, when so inclined, very much capable of doing really convincing stuff with it.

Never heard of Graintext, and I have heard Mort Aux Vaches, and From Nothing To Less.  They definitely stand up, in my opinion.  Will dig in eventually to all of his releases.   Thanks for the heads up! 

As for net releases, I would suggest "The Inevitability of Transformation".  Flowing, mutating modular with gnarled field recordings and various good movements.   

Interesting note about Sedation & Quell-  They had to cut it at 16rpm in order to fit all the frequencies.  Nice ambient sounds.  At the risk of sounding too much like a fanboy, I love the back cover image and it is my desktop background.  It was filmed at some wax museum of saints in Italy, and there are petrified genitals that are muffled out of the image.   

Also, Dimuzio was mentioned, and I do enjoy his collaboration with Dan Burke, but for my money, Tertium Quid is comparatively overlooked, I think, probably because of the fact it is a CD that comes in one of those really slim sleeves.  DB with Bill Horist and Dave Abramson (Master Musicians of Bukkake).  https://www.discogs.com/Tertium-Quid-Tertium-Quid/release/6389253

And... there are live CDrs around that are not well distributed.  There is one...  "odds", that is various live recordings over the years, on tour.  These probably have laptops in them, but I still think, as mentioned, very good control and diversity.  There is another live CDr in collaboration with Al Margolis that is worth noting, in terms of composition and odd sounds.   I will have to dig it up.  Somewhere in Europe.  Not remembering the details. 

And- "Busier Than Happier" shouldn't really be left out of the later period stuff.  For anyone who likes the textural loop-based stuff of "Live at No Fun Fest", this would is a sort of studio follow up.   

It's funny.  It was rumored that IOS had quit in 2008.  I have to say, I don't think he played live in Chicago at least from 2002-2008 at all, it was a mythical thing for me, because I wasn't aware of him before 2002.  I didn't receive return emails, but I was persistent, and through some mutual friends, finally, it was established that I asked him to play, and he accepted.  We did a show with Envenomist, and he played a tabletop guitar with a whole rack of effects, for an hour.  He seemed to really enjoy it, but everyone left within 15 minutes.   I was happy for him though, he did keep it interesting, but yes, it was definitely in the "difficult music" category, and he just exploded from there, started doing tons of shows and releases.   

bogskaggmannen

Thank you for all insightful comments on IOS releases here - i'm happy there's a good time for buying 90's CDs right now.

jadderly

I have a small stack of IOS releases. Very underrated project today, I think. My personal favorite is "Of & The", which is a 2xCD set of drone/ambient stuff. Probably not for those that prefer the more aggressive/noisy side of the project.

bogskaggmannen

Then there's stuff I didn't like at all: Fin de Siecle and....

Care to elaborate on that? Or...any words on this album from Mr. Slut?

acsenger

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on April 17, 2020, 09:04:36 PM
Then there's stuff I didn't like at all: Fin de Siecle and....

Care to elaborate on that? Or...any words on this album from Mr. Slut?

What I remember about Fin de Siecle is that it's not one of the IoS albums with a dark atmosphere; instead it's more of a drone album and I found it dull and uninspired.