Nurse with Wound

Started by 13, June 19, 2016, 10:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko-V

Quote from: Marko-V on December 15, 2016, 06:57:31 PM
Contacted Frank and he told me he's having NWW records re-produced in red vinyl.
Got my replacement vinyls today.
As a side note, that NWW VOD box set gives color. I have stored it right next to VOD C93 box set with black&white sleeve and noticed some red extra colorisation on it. One more reason to store records/box sets with fabric-style sleeve in plastic. Bummer.

FreakAnimalFinland

Was asking some O'Rourke recommendations on other topic of this forum, and got some. I guess this collab was not mentioned, but is really good one: NWW + O'ROURKE Tape monkey mooch anry electric finger 1. I suspect NWW is to be thanked for big part, but I'm sure Jims touch is heard too. It has very good sounds, dynamics, and composition, without being "music" really.

Same goes to another related collab. Last night listened Wakeford + Stapleton CD. Sometimes surprisingly noisy and experimental, but also bits of experimental neo-folky' Sol Invictus type bits here, but it blends into neat experimental music. Something what I would hope more of later days neofolk, that it wouldn't be just singer-songwriter kind of stuff, but NEOfolk...

Couple weeks ago bought pile of NWW cd's, yet to listen them, but I got feeling I need to start filling my NWW collection of some newer things.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

The Diana Rogerson albums continue to be very good.  The 2021 album made my "best of" list.  I was surprised to realize the previous albums were way back in 2007 and 2008.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Nurse With Wound ‎– Lumb's Sister CD 2014
So far perhaps the best later days NWW what I have listened? There is actually Coil remix here too. How to Destroy Angels II (Lumb mix). Album is overall experimental soundscapes, dark and gloomy. 

Nurse With Wound – Huffin' Rag Blues CD 2008,
is more experimental jazzy fun. More musical, less good than album above, but as I don't have that much of bizarro lounge music and rhythm egg jazz soundscapes, this stays in collection..

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 09, 2022, 07:59:10 AM
Nurse With Wound ‎– Lumb's Sister CD 2014
So far perhaps the best later days NWW what I have listened?

Well I don't know that this is to be counted among the later days, unless the nth remix of the remix is to be counted among the later days (with NWW I wouldn't argue that it couldn't!). Regardless, and considering the range of alternate mixes of this particular release floating around, certainly to be counted among the greats.

Still quite frequently go back to the best of my first exposure, which is the 2nd track off the 1st Tibet/Stapleton release. The Grave And Beautiful Name Of Sadness. Apart from the awesome title, a classic among classics.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 09, 2022, 04:04:53 PM
Well I don't know that this is to be counted among the later days, unless the nth remix of the remix is to be counted among the later days (with NWW I wouldn't argue that it couldn't!). Regardless, and considering the range of alternate mixes of this particular release floating around, certainly to be counted among the greats.

Yeah.. I have not actually followed what is happening with this or that NWW old recording, what things he did return and what are untouched since the early 80's?

I have had the RRR/UD tapes since the 90's probably, but finally bought the latest CD versions of some old works. Listened two oldies from 1980. Remastered reissue of the 1980 LP from the original analogue tapes, says the info, but its kind of pointless to compare RRR's old tape dub vs. new CD and try to figure out how much remastering has effected vs. for example old CD versions from 1990.

To The Quiet Men From A Tiny Girl  CD 2019
Merzbild Schwet CD 2019

Both new digipak versions have at least the advantage of not suffering of disc rot like 1990 version may do. Sound is killer. The clarity and sharpness, but also the spacy, airy and dynamic range so good. There are occasions with these albums, that material is so simple and based on really "easy" things. Like long tracks just playing cymbal. Or one squealing and annoying pitch of instrument, with tasty very audible reverb. Things you can appreciate so easily, when there is no mass. Just very distinctive sound, and the effect. At the same time, it does make me wonder, how I would react on new artist, 2022, sending recording, where he just plays with cymbal? Sure, he might not be blessed with vision that Stapleton was/is, and simply can't be that good. It does make me want to know how much and where, by whom, is the experimental sound, that is somehow in same realms as this. Not relying on synthesizers, computers, being very concrete, very dynamic, bizarre, composed and... good?

impulse manslaughter

Just ordered the Opium Cabinet cd. Supposed to be a really good recent nww record. Looking forward to listening to it.

Thermophile

I love the 80'S NWW,
especially Homotopy to Marie and Spiral Insana.

Stapleton has mastered his craft so well and it shows.
As everyone else seems to agree about latter work,  Salt Marie Celeste is the undisputed winner.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 21, 2016, 03:04:00 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 20, 2016, 03:34:22 AMYou can't talk about NwW without highlighting Chrystal Belle Scrodd (including Beastings) and Diana Rogerson's other work.  They're every bit as great as the best NwW material.  When I see she releases something, I can't wait to hear it.

Agreed. I even quite liked the relatively recent one with Liles.

this Rogerson/Liles is really good. it shouldn't be surprising, but it always is when they get more traditionally musical and don't sacrifice an iota of fuckery. want to introduce someone to experimental music?  Give them a Scrodd/Rogerson release.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.