BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: HateSermon on December 14, 2019, 09:04:33 PM
https://nyogthaeblisz.bandcamp.com/

New Nyogthaeblisz finally out. Preview track sounds vicious.

Sounds awesome!  Hopefully the rest is just as good.

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

absurdexposition

Does anyone recall the info in regards to Beherit's "At the Devil's Studio 1990" not actually being recorded in 1990?
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

holy ghost

Quote from: absurdexposition on December 31, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
Does anyone recall the info in regards to Beherit's "At the Devil's Studio 1990" not actually being recorded in 1990?

A lot of chatter about it at the time on the NWN forum but no actual "proof" other than "well isn't this convenient you just "found" these recordings" iirc. Record slaps either way.

Good bump - been on a real South American kick lately. Hadez demos, Mutilator LP, Necrofago demo, Masacre LP, Reencarnation collection, Mortuorio demos, Sepultura, Holocausto, etc.

Then I started listening to Venom - everything up to and including Possessed fuckin' slaps.

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on December 31, 2019, 07:11:06 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on December 31, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
A lot of chatter about it at the time on the NWN forum but no actual "proof" other than "well isn't this convenient you just "found" these recordings" iirc. Record slaps either way.

Yeah I tried to do some googling last night and wasn't coming up was much. It has a markedly better recording quality than Seventh Blasphemy from the same year, which would be the only thing to point to a more recent recording, if that's the case.

Quote from: holy ghost on December 31, 2019, 07:11:06 PM
Then I started listening to Venom - everything up to and including Possessed fuckin' slaps.

Jammed At War With Satan yesterday and Black Metal the day before. Was never huge on AWWS but had a great time with it this go 'round.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

Apropos of nothing, can anyone give me a recommendation for albums like "Under the Sign of Hell by Gorgoroth? I'm not on any metal forums so I don't know where else to ask :)

All the stupid bullshit surrounding Gorgoroth aside, that album is one of my favorite black metal records ever. Maybe my favorite. The insane drum production, the wild and chaotic songs that twist and turn rather than repeat themselves, the searing and distorted guitar solos that come out of nowhere. It does a lot of stuff all in the same record that I haven't heard elsewhere. The closest I've heard are the first two Haemoth albums which sound similarly raw and caustic but are generally much more repetitive.

Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on January 07, 2020, 06:09:47 PM
Apropos of nothing, can anyone give me a recommendation for albums like "Under the Sign of Hell by Gorgoroth? I'm not on any metal forums so I don't know where else to ask :)

All the stupid bullshit surrounding Gorgoroth aside, that album is one of my favorite black metal records ever. Maybe my favorite. The insane drum production, the wild and chaotic songs that twist and turn rather than repeat themselves, the searing and distorted guitar solos that come out of nowhere. It does a lot of stuff all in the same record that I haven't heard elsewhere. The closest I've heard are the first two Haemoth albums which sound similarly raw and caustic but are generally much more repetitive.

Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Gorgoroth have always been a complete wtf-fest as a band and like a lot of the 2nd-wave classics, UTSOH is another case of brilliant contextual randomness. I think I know my black metal classics and obscurities rather well and I'm not sure I can come up with albums conveying that exact same atmosphere due to so many peculiar factors gathered on a single release. Like, for instance, you hear similarities in Haemoth's early albums but I don't.
For me, the most important trademark of GOOD Gorgoroth's albums are their guitars. The first three albums had KILLER melancholic, atmospheric and cold guitar riffs. The "band" that captured those riffs' essence the best to my ear is Taake on their first album. Want those riffs that "twist and turn" in Norwegian way with some odd production? Check Kvist's unique album, which is a proper masterpiece (I read somewhere the drummer on it was like 16 or 17 when the album was recorded, which is crazy, but then, so was Trym when Enslaved recorded "Frost" so...) And if the caveman drumming is your thing, you should check out the YouTube videos of Immortal during the "Fuck Christ" tour as Grim was drumming for them back then and he just bashes his drumkit like he does on UTSOH. Too bad he never recorded anything with Immortal. His drumming was good on the early Borknagar stuff but the production doesn't let appear any kind of craziness in there.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on January 09, 2020, 01:24:12 AM...UTSOH is another case of brilliant contextual randomness.

This is it. A set of right time and place circumstances that resulted in a brilliant release. Because it has such an immediate impact it's not something that can easily, or desirably, be reproduced.
Shikata ga nai.

Bacteriafield

i have admittedly been only fucking with noise for years. i never fucked with metal because i honestly thought it was weaker than noise and i felt on a quest for the most extreme shit i could find.  now as the years go on i am seriously only recently ADDICTED to this whole world i've waited to explore. ofcourse in past i have fucked with bands that crossed over into noise world like RIDE FOR REVENGE, CLANDESTINE BLAZE, INTOLITARION, BEHERIT. but recently theres much more i've been loving and appreciating like never before. i will never give up on noise but its cool to find another genre that holds up anger-wise.

In the last month i have read THE DEVILS CRADLE which is a history of Finnish black metal. highly recommend it. REcenlty picked up the feral house swedish book BLOOD FIRE DEATH at quimby's in chicago (everyone going to GO in april should go there). . havent read it yet but am looking forward to.

im posting to ask of other suggestions for books on black metal history. i feel like a noob but its exciting..... recently fucking with warloghe, satanic warmaster, musta surma. you get the picture only Finnish rn but ready for more.. any recommendations for books/ artist would be cool. also bear in mind i like to own physical media so vothana ect i fuck with but dont care to suck the dick.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on January 09, 2020, 01:24:12 AM
Gorgoroth have always been a complete wtf-fest as a band and like a lot of the 2nd-wave classics, UTSOH is another case of brilliant contextual randomness. I think I know my black metal classics and obscurities rather well and I'm not sure I can come up with albums conveying that exact same atmosphere due to so many peculiar factors gathered on a single release. Like, for instance, you hear similarities in Haemoth's early albums but I don't.
For me, the most important trademark of GOOD Gorgoroth's albums are their guitars. The first three albums had KILLER melancholic, atmospheric and cold guitar riffs. The "band" that captured those riffs' essence the best to my ear is Taake on their first album. Want those riffs that "twist and turn" in Norwegian way with some odd production? Check Kvist's unique album, which is a proper masterpiece (I read somewhere the drummer on it was like 16 or 17 when the album was recorded, which is crazy, but then, so was Trym when Enslaved recorded "Frost" so...) And if the caveman drumming is your thing, you should check out the YouTube videos of Immortal during the "Fuck Christ" tour as Grim was drumming for them back then and he just bashes his drumkit like he does on UTSOH. Too bad he never recorded anything with Immortal. His drumming was good on the early Borknagar stuff but the production doesn't let appear any kind of craziness in there.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! I'll have to check out the Taake and Kvist albums.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Eigen Bast

Quote from: Bacteriafield on January 09, 2020, 10:11:23 AM
i have admittedly been only fucking with noise for years. i never fucked with metal because i honestly thought it was weaker than noise and i felt on a quest for the most extreme shit i could find.  now as the years go on i am seriously only recently ADDICTED to this whole world i've waited to explore. ofcourse in past i have fucked with bands that crossed over into noise world like RIDE FOR REVENGE, CLANDESTINE BLAZE, INTOLITARION, BEHERIT. but recently theres much more i've been loving and appreciating like never before. i will never give up on noise but its cool to find another genre that holds up anger-wise.

In the last month i have read THE DEVILS CRADLE which is a history of Finnish black metal. highly recommend it. REcenlty picked up the feral house swedish book BLOOD FIRE DEATH at quimby's in chicago (everyone going to GO in april should go there). . havent read it yet but am looking forward to.

im posting to ask of other suggestions for books on black metal history. i feel like a noob but its exciting..... recently fucking with warloghe, satanic warmaster, musta surma. you get the picture only Finnish rn but ready for more.. any recommendations for books/ artist would be cool. also bear in mind i like to own physical media so vothana ect i fuck with but dont care to suck the dick.

Wolves Among Sheep is hard to find, but a lengthy history of NSBM.

As for artists I would recommend Dead Reptile Shrine (weird, improvised bm, takes on noisy/dark ambient aspects), everything on CW Productions though the newish VA "Even Biology is Revolting Despite it's Natural Appeal" makes a great starting point (mostly still available at his site, best USBM going, Cirrhus/Furdidurke/Kestrel, etc), and Bone Awl/everything Klaxon records puts out too.

Euro Trash Bazooka

The only good book about black metal is Jon Metalion' Slayer fanzine anthology as far as I'm concerned. You get all the facts and evolution of the scene at the time they happened by an insider who doesn't need to try to get more credit by making shit it up, blowing things out of proportion or anything. He was there, he was friends with everyone, he chronicled it on time, from before its beginning to after it shook the entire world. The parts between the fanzines in the anthology are as authentic as it can get. Of course, he doesn't review or mention EVERYTHING so don't expect to read about say, the Polish TOF for instance. But when it comes to facts (and that's what history is about, right?), this is it. Everything else I read is biased as far as I'm concerned, and I don't see the point in publishing books that read like messageboards with guys trying to one-up each other, which black metal has always been about (well 97% of the time that is.)

There's a very fine line between aesthetics and posturing and the balance used to be right up until 20 years ago, I think. I mean, posturing was very much present in fanzines and band's attitudes but the outreach was pretty tiny. I think the internet changed the BM scene entirely and that music isn't enough to make bands stand out anymore because it's so much easier to record and put out music, to spread it worldwide too, and the overwhelming amount of information available does that to be remembered, bands need to focus on the posturing. And the internet amplifies trends too. I remember the time when Osmose couldn't even sell Blasphemy CDs for 2€ (I sure never bought any) and nobody really cared about them. Same with NSBM or war metal. It takes one intense nerd with a genuine interest and smart marketing strategies (and a few other people with good intuition) to change the course of everything, as evidenced by the bands that always get mentioned again and again and again on the messageboards he's not responsible for, as if any other BM bands had never existed for the last 35 years.

All this rant to say that I would take every book on BM with a grain of salt because they're always written with some  agenda behind them and that the evolution/explosion of the scene from the underground as well as the people dwelling in it make everything  difficult to trust or accept as true when it comes to facts. But they're good fun when it comes to fan fiction of course.

And thanks, ConcreteMascara, my pleasure.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Zeno Marx

I don't know much about black metal, so I don't know the context of anything here.  It's interesting to hear about it.  Thanks, folks.  I do know that Trym on Frost, and I feel on most things he did, is crazy good.  And that Kvist's album is amazing and definitely makes it on my top black metal list.  A masterpiece indeed.

I thought to ask about this the other day, so here goes:  what's the deal with Mystískaos and and the closed Fallen Empire Records?  Their updates seem so odd.  Again, I know little about black metal, especially post-2000.  I don't know who is posturing, who is genuine, who can simply write a good story, or what.  I do think the Mystískaos aesthetic is nice looking, but whoopie-ding.  Any opinions or info?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Eigen Bast

I have been pretty confounded by Fallen Empire's transition to Mystikaos and the surrounding cryptic communications. I can say that Arnaut Pavle and Serpent Column are good though. That 3x10 Lluvia record he put out on Fallen Empire was excellent too. It is a shame most Lluvia material sells for such insane amounts, one of the better acts of the past few years, excellent live, too.