BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seventhcircle

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 12, 2019, 05:14:34 PM
Quote from: sunandsteel on November 11, 2019, 10:56:42 PM
NWN forum officially not coming back. So much for "Never Surrender"...

Where was it confirmed?
Yosuke replied to someone on IG saying it wouldn't be back.

It was a great place to discover music and get some great info, but a large spectrum of idiocy was bred on that board. Not bummed, but not stoked.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: seventhcircle on November 12, 2019, 05:24:04 PM

Where was it confirmed?

It was a great place to discover music and get some great info, but a large spectrum of idiocy was bred on that board. Not bummed, but not stoked.

I never joined the forum, but always thought about it.  There seemed to be a lot of discussions about a wide variety of great music on there.  It's too bad that he decided to shut the whole thing down though.  I would have at least tried to moderate it a bit before jumping to such a harsh measure (maybe he tried that at some point already but did't like it, I don't know).

seventhcircle

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 12, 2019, 07:34:56 PM

Where was it confirmed?

I never joined the forum, but always thought about it.  There seemed to be a lot of discussions about a wide variety of great music on there.  It's too bad that he decided to shut the whole thing down though.  I would have at least tried to moderate it a bit before jumping to such a harsh measure (maybe he tried that at some point already but did't like it, I don't know).
The forum fashioned itself as apolitical, and I think the moderation on it was done fairly well. Some users made their own politics very clear, right or left, which would then spark occasional political/socially driven arguments. These were usually shut down quickly.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

ricjaff

It was a great place to discover music and get some great info

Yeah, back to scouring discogs/bandcamp/youtube for further noteworthy releases I guess. Took some of the draining effort out of that process, and it wasn't just being exposed to severely hyped or over-promoted material most of the time.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: seventhcircle on November 12, 2019, 08:59:19 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on November 12, 2019, 07:34:56 PM

Where was it confirmed?

The forum fashioned itself as apolitical, and I think the moderation on it was done fairly well. Some users made their own politics very clear, right or left, which would then spark occasional political/socially driven arguments. These were usually shut down quickly.

I don't get it then, why would he shut the forum down?  It seemed really popular, and would, I presume, drive quite a bit of business to his label.  Maybe after opening up the physical store it was a bit too much for him to handle.

DSOL

every time "Nazi(s)" are brought up in any metal context online, the forum is linked which in turn links to the label itself regardless of any apolitical stance that he tried to convey. I'm sure after the blog posts and other bullshit that was happening trying to shut down his fest, he felt that he was just better to shut the forum down and not be bothered it.

NWN doesn't need the forum to bring in business for his label anymore, the forum was great for smaller labels and bands trying to get their stuff out there/updating on new releases/etc
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ekastaka

No forum means more time for playground pull ups

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: sunandsteel on November 13, 2019, 12:40:59 AM
No forum means more time for playground pull ups

"No matter how long and intense the training, our body, deep down, is progressing little by little towards decadence"."

Drohgt

Any suggestions for other metal forums?

Ot: Necropole album is slowly becoming one of my fav bm albums. Everything is perfect about that album.  B
Also really like Reverorum ib Malacht Urkaos. Unique sound, very good composition and weird.

FallOfNature

attended Invicta Requiem Mass a few weeks ago. Alruna is one to keep an eye on. Rostorchester with Krieg from Wehrhammer on vocals was killer, too.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: l.b. on November 12, 2019, 06:25:49 AM
that re-formed absurd for asgardsrei was dogshit though

It is slightly curious situation with Absurd, as there are two of them active right now. The JNF line-up performing old songs and more primitive things is one, but the other line-up that made the more "advanced material" with Wolf and Unhold etc has made new promo and played live just recently. I have liked all incarnations of the band.

Quote from: DSOL on November 12, 2019, 10:26:04 PM
NWN doesn't need the forum to bring in business for his label anymore, the forum was great for smaller labels and bands trying to get their stuff out there/updating on new releases/etc

Any forum some label hosts under their own name, will have effect of tainting the label name for what whoever random guy says. Question would be do you want your label name be mentioned every time when drama escalates in underground? heh.. Guilt by association is quite strong these days.

It is unfortunate when decades worth of information just vanishes. It displays the negative side of scene relying too much on one thing. Removing one element may have drastic effects, especially in times when there is often "all eggs in one basket". It is unfortunate for labels who got rid of their own websites to sell stuff via discogs, just to find out all they publish and many things they distributed are being banned from marketplace. Or being kicked out from youtube & facebook without any particular reason. Or getting your bandcamp closed as soon as it felt like good place to host label "website". etc.

There was attempt to have new black metal forum some years ago. It did not gain popularity, due it didn't offer anything what one couldn't do in NWN. So eventually quiet forum was closed down.

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be new attempts to open something like that. Forum that is not under any particular label name and would cover Black Metal as is, without caring what non-BM crowd may think about some of it. But also hopefully moderators who do not have too specific agenda to push.

For mentioned reason, it would be good to have some sort of information spot, that is not connected to multinational corporations and such. For example, I have absolutely zero interests to follow countless bands and labels in social media. Without forum(s) it, hard to say where one could find announcements and recommendations these days if not willing to wade through endless flow of social media feed.

Talking about Black Metal, TEITANBLOOD new album. Not yet sure what to think. It didn't have same impact as Death. Heavily based on sound, rather than riffs and songs. Of course this was case with previous too, but that hit instantly. KVASIRS BLOOD "Triumph of the will" cd I didn't expect much, but ended up listening several times. I like the rawness of production doesn't mean it would be the non-riff non-idea "raw bm" stuff that has been vastly popular, but actually be pretty good songs in lines of Satanic Warmaster, Goatmoon, Vlad Tepes, etc. While properly composed BM of today often have too soft sound, this doesn't.  Entire catalogue of INQUISITION was listened and had to even re-evaluate order of greatness of those albums. It remains to see when band is back in "public" so to say. Good case displaying the lameness of "metal scene" might be repeating itself when they do. GRAND BELIAL'S KEY "a witness to the regiside" finally on good CD! Include more tracks that the original 7". Uniqueness of GBK is so beyond, that it does have special position in underground.

For live music, it was rather great surprise to have GOAT SEMEN play live in Lahti. Just around the corner. Great set of brutal savage blasphemic metal. Next weekend VULCANO in same venue is perhaps even more surprising. Last weekend: BLACK BEAST first show, quite traditional BM that worked nicely. BEHEXEN always good, BARATHRUM another good show after decades of miserable drunken joke. Now their gigs are pretty close as good as 20 years ago! And no wonder what MGLA was headlining after DESTRUCTION.  Veteran status might not be enough if your best album came out 35 years ago.. Just like SODOM on next day, of course they can still thrash properly, but...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

NaturalOrthodoxy

I've listened to black metal my entire adult life and I'm somehow only now listening to Veles. Started with Black Hateful Metal.

Production is spot on, perfectly raw but with excellent clean guitar tones and synth sounds which are just the right level of corny. Some light phase/flange (?) on the guitars in places. Overall contributes to one of the darkest and coldest sounding BM records I've heard since the genre first sucked me in. Will definitely be going through the whole back catalogue.

SCHEDELWEISS

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 13, 2019, 10:37:38 AM
Quote from: l.b. on November 12, 2019, 06:25:49 AM
that re-formed absurd for asgardsrei was dogshit though
Without forum(s) it, hard to say where one could find announcements and recommendations these days if not willing to wade through endless flow of social media feed.

True. But I have the impression that some releases are available a bit longer with that annoying "GO GET IT NOW!" thread gone...

fetch the rope

Quote from: holy ghost on November 12, 2019, 03:50:55 AM

That crank from from Absurd will have a hard time finding another forum willing to tolerate his endless whining about the left.....

Heh, well even if you are on the opposing side of what JFN represents, you can't deny that he's always ready to give proper answers and maintained his composure. Unlike the endless sea of shortfused, weak trolls who tried to get under his skin daily basis :)

For my understanding the forum is coming back. That's what he said in email. Yosuke just hasn't got time to get into it. It took him weeks to put up stuff he got from trade into his shop because of the fest and yes, for sure the forum requires more work than couple clicks in the e-store.
Affirmative Apartheid

https://outofthedungeon.net

yosef666

Quote from: fetch the rope on November 14, 2019, 07:46:41 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on November 12, 2019, 03:50:55 AM

That crank from from Absurd will have a hard time finding another forum willing to tolerate his endless whining about the left.....

Heh, well even if you are on the opposing side of what JFN represents, you can't deny that he's always ready to give proper answers and maintained his composure. Unlike the endless sea of shortfused, weak trolls who tried to get under his skin daily basis :)

For my understanding the forum is coming back. That's what he said in email. Yosuke just hasn't got time to get into it. It took him weeks to put up stuff he got from trade into his shop because of the fest and yes, for sure the forum requires more work than couple clicks in the e-store.
He told me weeks ago that he isn't bringing the forum back, he announced on Instagram that he isn't bringing the forum back and he removed the Forum link from the NWN site. If you think it's coming back, you're fucking high.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer