Special Interest
July 21, 2018, 02:20:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
  Print  
Author Topic: BLACK METAL  (Read 59962 times)
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #390 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:05 AM »

Despite the black metal segments, I don't understand why this album isn't/couldn't/won't be relatively huge and well known across a handful of audiences.

To me it always seemed Ulver is way bigger than any typical Black Metal? Maybe it's different in different countries. But over here, any works of Ulver seems to be widely listened, acknowledged way beyond "bm audience".

That said, band has never been much of interest of mine. Beyond 1st and 3rd album, I never heard anything really interesting. These two also rarely end up to my stereos because both albums having lots of good things, also have things I don't care for. One major obstacle the gentle sounding boyish choir vocals in debut. In both albums the advanced musicianship often is turn off. I don't mean BM needs to be played like shit, but there is often sort of "musicians having fun" feel to Ulver - whatever era we talk about.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
Euro Trash Bazooka
user

« Reply #391 on: July 13, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »

I've always felt like Ulver's music (I know nothing after "Nattens Madrigal" though) was much more conceptual and arty than the other black metal bands' music from the same location and time. No satanism, no corpsepaints, no kvlt label, no stupid production (except for "Nattens Madrigal", which is why the band is revered in BM circles I think, but ultimately, it's much more thought out than a Gorgoroth album, if I may say so), nothing that'd make them stand out besides incredibble musicianship and talent in songwriting. That's a shame.

Zeno Marx
Diehard user

« Reply #392 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »

I'd never heard Mysticum - In The Streams of Inferno 1996 before a couple days ago.  Some noteworthy atmosphere and vibe, and I like the feel the electronic drums give it.  I'm not seeing any credits for synths, but they're there.  Or is that some kind of guitar triggered MIDI deal?  The photos on the Peaceville reissue are creepy in a deranged, not mentally well way.  They're also funny.  What's the deal with the hard drug connexion and black metal?  Is that tongue-in-cheek?  Something common to underground culture in Norway?  Obviously, heroine etc isn't unique to Norway or black metal, but since it seems to be something specifically mentioned on albums, I'm curious.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Scat-O-Logy
Diehard user

« Reply #393 on: July 14, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »

Euro Trash Bazooka
user

« Reply #394 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »

I support the use of hard drugs for Youth Of Today. Then, maybe, MAYBE Ray Cappo will manage to make some decent music once in his lifetime.

FallOfNature
moderate user

« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »

I'd never heard Mysticum - In The Streams of Inferno 1996 before a couple days ago.  Some noteworthy atmosphere and vibe, and I like the feel the electronic drums give it.  I'm not seeing any credits for synths, but they're there.  Or is that some kind of guitar triggered MIDI deal?  The photos on the Peaceville reissue are creepy in a deranged, not mentally well way.  They're also funny.  What's the deal with the hard drug connexion and black metal?  Is that tongue-in-cheek?  Something common to underground culture in Norway?  Obviously, heroine etc isn't unique to Norway or black metal, but since it seems to be something specifically mentioned on albums, I'm curious.

I was always under the impression that LSD was their vice of choice. Great album in any case.

Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »

http://www.mysticum.com/beer/

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of it's aim." - Schopenhauer.
Zeno Marx
Diehard user

« Reply #397 on: July 15, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »

I was always under the impression that LSD was their vice of choice. Great album in any case.
ah, that's different.  I don't consider LSD a hard drug.  Different animal.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #398 on: July 16, 2018, 05:01:54 AM »

This is definitely my favourite album promo. You'll take it with what seriousness you will, I think it's both cornily entertaining and genuinely interesting. They talk a bit more about their drug "obsession" describing the first track.

"LSD" and "The Ether" really are excellent tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buUPR3WBkFU

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of it's aim." - Schopenhauer.
Foss

« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2018, 12:54:00 AM »

Mysticum was always a standout band in the Norwegian scene. Even in later years when everyone was getting magazine covers etc. they were still dangerous for real. I think more the connection is to take heeps of chemical drugs and then top it off with LSD. I did a rap demo (yeah...) around 2000 and sampled the last ambient track of the "Streams.." album. Somehow this landed in the hands of the guys and i met up with them via some mutual friends, they were into harsh rap at the time so it was good. But they have the appereance more of Blasphemy and such than any other norwegian bands . Also Black Magic Mushrooms 7" is such an insane track. Hard techno and electronic music resonated a lot in Norway at the time.

As a response to some Ulver discussions also, i think they and a few other of the norwegian contemporaries took the electronic impulses a bit too far in a shallow way. It seems like a few of them just listened to some Mo' Wax or the likes and just wanted to replace real drums with that and=avantgarde. Dødheimsgard is really a victim of this mindset. Satanic Art is great, 666 is cheesy as hell and the next one is just a disgrace. But i think Ulver always had a too clean approach to experimentation, as so many of their contemporaries. It seems like a good idea to experiment with boundaries of Black metal, but i think the failure was in that they was already too tied up in record deals with producers etc. It was always experimenting with expensive synth patches and choirs, getting a famous violin guy or some shit in the studio. Not going into the woods or a shed and banging on shit with a walkman etc. It became too clean too fast.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:18:42 AM by Foss » Logged
DSOL
user

« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »

if anyone liked the Mooncitadel demo, the new EP is just as good.

FallOfNature
moderate user

« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »

if anyone liked the Mooncitadel demo, the new EP is just as good.

Impatiently waiting for that to arrive.

The Black - Priest Of Satan reissue + merchandise is up for pre-order at Osmose for anyone interested.
DSOL
user

« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »

thanks for the heads up on The Black reissue. such an underrated record

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
  Print  

Jump to: