BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decrepitude

Quote from: holy ghost on July 22, 2019, 06:13:24 PM
I was totally obsessed with Cultes des Ghoules for a long period around the time of their first and second LPs - I didn't pick up the Coven 3LP and just realized they have another new album out. I could probably just Spotify then before buying but does this band still "got it"?

I love that heavy bass they have and the feeling like you're living in a stinky crypt surrounded by rats but I'm also wary of a 3LP rock opera/black metal concept album....

I didn't listen to the Coven one but coming from similar background the newest didn't really grab me instantly like Häxan or Hembane. It could grow on me but it's still missing the filthy and murky atmosphere you mentioned. I might actually put Häxan on now.

holy ghost

Quote from: Decrepitude on July 23, 2019, 10:00:24 PM
I didn't listen to the Coven one but coming from similar background the newest didn't really grab me instantly like Häxan or Hembane. It could grow on me but it's still missing the filthy and murky atmosphere you mentioned. I might actually put Häxan on now.

Thanks for the feedback - I might order the newest one and just skip Coven for the time being. It's seemingly the only thing they've released that's not gone instantly out of print - if using discogs sales as a metric for quality is reasonable? I think so....

Just got the Beherit "Drawing Down the Moon"reissue direct from KVLT. I love stuff like Witchcraft/Black Feast and Perverted Ceremony that R.I.P. off Beherit hard but this LP has something so unbelievable that just cannot be replicated.... great work from KVLT on this one!

Urban Noise

I have to mention Sale Freux from France. Amazing BM and truly underground individual.

I've just released this on tape. Love both the music and the artwork.

https://nekrogoatheresyproductions.bandcamp.com/album/sale-freux-demain-d-s-laube-tape
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

denethorgul

Sapthuran have always tickled a certain bone for me. That bone being cold and atmo USBM that doesn't quite fall into the Cascadia scene I guess.

https://wraithproductions.bandcamp.com/album/in-hatred
"WE EXPOSE ONLY SICKNESS BECAUSE WE ARE THE SICKNESS – WE ARE THE CORPSE, THE GERMS OF SCIENCE"

M. Nothing, 'Progetto Morte' 2001

holy ghost

Perverted Ceremony/Witchcraft LP coming in October - for my money this Beherit worship/spooky whispered vocal type of raw black metal is the only thing tickling my monkey right now. I'm absolutely bored of the riff-less sexgoatfago gasmask core stuff that I was super chuffed about forever. I can get down with the classics and newer stuff like Teitanblood but no one is doing much exciting (imho). Break out the fuckin' capes and spooky candelabras and shit.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: holy ghost on August 10, 2019, 01:47:30 AM
Perverted Ceremony/Witchcraft LP coming in October - for my money this Beherit worship/spooky whispered vocal type of raw black metal is the only thing tickling my monkey right now. I'm absolutely bored of the riff-less sexgoatfago gasmask core stuff that I was super chuffed about forever. I can get down with the classics and newer stuff like Teitanblood but no one is doing much exciting (imho). Break out the fuckin' capes and spooky candelabras and shit.

Do you listen to Thy Sepulchral Moon?  It sounds like a band you might enjoy.

holy ghost

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 10, 2019, 05:59:21 PM

I'll check it out - I appreciate the suggestion!

I'm also checking out Moenen of Xezbeth which is almost what I want but not quite there. I can't get  into black metal seriously when it's from like, Wyoming or some shit but if you're Belgian or Finnish I'm willing to give it more of a pass. Irrational personal bias.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: holy ghost on August 11, 2019, 08:53:58 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on August 10, 2019, 05:59:21 PM

I'll check it out - I appreciate the suggestion!

I'm also checking out Moenen of Xezbeth which is almost what I want but not quite there. I can't get  into black metal seriously when it's from like, Wyoming or some shit but if you're Belgian or Finnish I'm willing to give it more of a pass. Irrational personal bias.

Honestly, a bias against American black metal is not the worst musical bias you could have.  From what it looks like on bandcamp, most American black metal bands play some form of generic and totally uninteresting "atmospheric" black metal or dsbm.  I am sure that there are some good ones, but it would take some work to find them.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Blasting "Pure Holocaust" and "Antichrist" on my way to work, sticking to the classics.

Also, having spent a fair amount of time in Scandinavia and passed through Belgium as well, I don't see how Belgium would inspire anyone to play black metal. I mean, OK, Charleroi is one of the grimmest places on Earth, but not in an Immortal kind of way haha.

Also, I don't know but bands like Profanatica, Absu, Night Conquers Day, Judas Iscariot, Black Funeral, etc, come from various US places and man did/do they rule and took/take their BM seriously.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on August 14, 2019, 08:46:42 AM
Blasting "Pure Holocaust" and "Antichrist" on my way to work, sticking to the classics.

Also, having spent a fair amount of time in Scandinavia and passed through Belgium as well, I don't see how Belgium would inspire anyone to play black metal. I mean, OK, Charleroi is one of the grimmest places on Earth, but not in an Immortal kind of way haha.

Also, I don't know but bands like Profanatica, Absu, Night Conquers Day, Judas Iscariot, Black Funeral, etc, come from various US places and man did/do they rule and took/take their BM seriously.

Xasthur is another US black metal band that is really good - Nyogthaeblisz is awesome too.  There are definitely some really great bands from the US, but I'm not sure that there are any equivalent scenes to other parts of the world at this point in time (such as current scenes in Finland or Sri Lanka).

NaturalOrthodoxy

preach. I love a bit of Revenge as much as the next guy, but some of the stuff of that ilk coming out now is just bordering on self-parody

ritualabuser

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on August 15, 2019, 06:36:06 PM

preach. I love a bit of Revenge as much as the next guy, but some of the stuff of that ilk coming out now is just bordering on self-parody

I'd say beyond "bordering", that style jumped the shark once people started copying the boring copies of Revenge and Nyogthaeblisz right down to their artwork.

I've been hard-pressed to find many newer bands that have stuck with me beyond a sample(the aforementioned PC and especially Witchcraft are definite exceptions), but Obrok has fit the bill. Stuff that claims to sound like old Black Crucifixion, Samael, and Varathron...and actually delivers:
https://youtu.be/MXRQ4wY3c0g

Also seemingly lesser-known gems in the South American scene Asaradel and Behemoth have been in fairly regular rotation since picking up the compilation CDs a few years ago. Recommended to any fan of doomy, rotten, lo-fi black metal.

Asaradel:
https://youtu.be/6CRMaD9hDl8

Behemoth:
https://youtu.be/mSqZlkN325Q

brutalist_tapes

have to agree with the above for the most part.. although i have enjoyed death worship as of late. a shame, 'cause this kind of bm can be some of my favourite musick when done right.. i guess the style became too codified, or something.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on August 16, 2019, 03:15:22 PM
have to agree with the above for the most part.. although i have enjoyed death worship as of late. a shame, 'cause this kind of bm can be some of my favourite musick when done right.. i guess the style became too codified, or something.

The Death Worship debut ep was really good, but I never listened to their full length.  The Asian war metal scene is really strong right now, though - lots of noise influence in their work.  They manage to avoid a lot of the generic war metal stylings of many bands, yet remain appealing to the genre's roots.

Zeno Marx

some Ildjarny stuff, along with some power-violence hardcorey stuff (wish there was more).  is there much black metal like the first track or two?  members in a hardcore band too?

https://nykta.gr/album/blood-poetry
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.