Mental health institutions & care

Started by F_c_O, March 12, 2016, 02:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Quote from: F_c_O on March 14, 2016, 12:40:51 PMOne thing I can't get over with people who suffer from psychosis is that I still find them kinda creepy. Think its the fact that I will never be able to understand how they see the world or what is going in their head and they remain alien to me in a way that 'normal' people don't. Whereas I can connect with most people on some level, it always feels that with them, theres this fundamental disconnect that exists between us.

What I find really funny is this is coming from someone on a noise forum - no offense intended with this mate - but most "normal" people would find the things we voluntarily listen to (and things many here find "interesting") as extremely weird, to downright disturbing. Most people with psychosis had their onset later in life (the old standard "late teens to early twenties" is the norm depending on gender) and lived really normal, typical lives beforehand. So they really get the chance to be "normal" people and then all of a sudden right in the prime of their lives they get it taken away and go crazy. The clinic I work at is HUGE - so I see all sorts of people, from all walks of life in varying degrees of recovery. Most of them are totally normal. And with the medications they have now most blend in pretty effectively into normal society. The guys on the street dressed in rags screaming about the chip in their brain are typically unmedicated and usually have had experiences that make them untrusting of anything to do with meds or doctors.

Anyway, I won't go on, but this disconnect you sense is pretty superficial. Most people don't actually perceive the world the same way. Look at every negative co-worker interaction you've ever had where you're going "what the fuck is wrong with this person", that's not psychosis that's the fact that everyone perceives the world in a totally bizarre way..... Trump supporters, ISIS, vapers, meninists, these are all the subjective realities we live with. Well I don't live with the Trump fans, I'm Canadian.....

HongKongGoolagong

Here is a rather unique blog where a psychiatrist and a fetish priest of Ghana interact and compare their roles - https://gregneate.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/interview-with-a-fetish-priest-ghana-blog/

Quote from: holy ghost on March 14, 2016, 01:28:33 PMthis disconnect you sense is pretty superficial. Most people don't actually perceive the world the same way. Look at every negative co-worker interaction you've ever had where you're going "what the fuck is wrong with this person", that's not psychosis that's the fact that everyone perceives the world in a totally bizarre way

Exactly.

Bloated Slutbag

In Canada, I've been given to understand that with children a consultation is often at the request of parents who would like their child to reintegrate (into the regular school system). It's a free market so you just shop around till you get the report you like.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

AMRadioWaveMessage