midistudio 688 tascam problem

Started by ost-jurgur, February 29, 2016, 08:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ost-jurgur

hello guy's,
I have a tascam midistudio 688 and have a problem!!
In fact the tape player doesn't work well,i can rewind or forward and the head is put against the tape but when i want to put it
on play the head come against the tape and go back quickly at his original place
Anyone had an idee from what the problem could coming?

ps:i have change the belt and it doesn't change anything

julien

pentd

just by lookin at images on g-search: looks like the transport controls (play/rec/rew/ff) are driven by electronic buttons, as opposed to mechanical that you really push down, right? those just "trigger" the correspondend command on some kinda logic board that then will send the command to move the physical mechanical parts inside. so if the electronics have gone bananas then at "easiest" you might need to replace only that board, maybe just finding a spare machine that you can take that out and implant it into your machine... and to find some mad professor to do that. i know, sounds difficult as it is.

another optimistic option is to hope that there's just some small crapp inside preventing the playback system to stay locked. or something...

basically, if it still turns on, rewinds, etc then it's maybe not completely dead.. at least judging by this example where some dude resurrects a fucked up r2r machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHreo9q88s

Zugzwang Productions

Hey, I recently bought a Tascam 644 Midistudio, and I have the exact same problem. Pressing the play button engages the machine for only a couple seconds before it stops automatically.

Now I have discussed this a friend, who is very much into 4 tracks tape players, Tascam and such. He told me he had the same issue with two machines (with a smaller model tho, a 424 iirc). He tried changing the belt, motors etc, to no avail. Then he found out the problem came from the power unit. He bought a new one, and both machine then worked fine.

If you can find a power supply, maybe that is something you can try. I didn't bother because the 644 has a weird kind of power supply and power input. So I would need to buy it new on ebay or something, too expensive.