Vinyl comeback - from theory and charts to reality.

Started by linxtyx, February 25, 2016, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oOoOoOo

I still prefer CD. Takes up way less space, costs way less, doesn't scratch or warp as easily. Still, Vinyl is a very cool format. I'll pick up a vinyl record if it's at a cheap priced used at a record store. Thinking about ordering a vinyl record for like 10 dollars from a band I like, but I'm not kidding when I say I have no space for this stuff. I have one book case where I keep my CDs, they fit there and that alone is a miracle.

But yeah, in this modern day of digital media where it takes up 0 space and doesn't even require you to buy it, physical format has become whatever the listener desires. It's really more of a matter of the taste of the consumer, whether they find cassette, vinyl, CD, or whatever appealing. In the end it's just gonna sit on your shelf. I do prefer physical format over mp3 when purchasing because I actually like to have something physical that I can touch for the money I spend on it. It's a nice feeling to possess neat albums and hold them in your hand.

JuhoN

I hope new pressing machines will make vinyls cheaper.

I buy vinyl because big cover art. To be honest it sounds same as compact disc (perhaps my gear is not the best to hear if there is diffirence)

Postages suck for vinyls.

bitewerksMTB

Late last year, I read an article about a someone in the U.S. going down to Mexico, I think, & bringing back ancient vinyl pressing machines. I can't find the article nor can I remember who it was. I'm thinking it was someone who runs a label, not an  pressing plant. It was an interesting piece considering how old the machines are & how difficult it was to transport them back to the U.S.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/brand-new-vinyl-record-presses-enter-the-market/

FreakAnimalFinland

There has been articles where it is made quite clear that pressing itself is hardly an issue. Tons of old machines still working and now new ones are being made, but what is lacking is companies to produce good laquers as well as I could suggest simply people with actual care for what they do.
A lot of vinyl is way inferior to the best vinyl on the golden era of vinyl. It is also true for noise. That when economical reality forces basically to choose cheapest way to do it, then that's what you get. In case of CD.. it is CD. if your files sounded good, then it's good. For vinyl, so many things can go wrong. Occasionally this adds nice rugged brutality to sound. Sometimes it simply makes recordings lack punch and power.

In the end, I believe it is simply matter of taste. With all it flaws, if you simply prefer to listen vinyl, then it's good.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

F_c_O

Personally always preferred tapes and vinyl over cd. What others consider flaws have always been part of the charm for me. Music has to be really good for me to buy it on cd. Partially this is due to financial reasons, so much available and so little money.

As for the article, good news in general, although everything I enjoy have generally been available on either vinyl or tape to this point. It will be nice for things to stay that way for (near) future.

Goat93

Quote from: JuhoN on February 25, 2016, 08:06:44 PM

I buy vinyl because big cover art. To be honest it sounds same as compact disc (perhaps my gear is not the best to hear if there is diffirence)

The Vinyl Prices rises cause of the Hipster Trend, not the Usage of the Machines

SinkSlopProcessing

For those into noise, vinyl always struck me as a total waste of plastic. Doesn't have anywhere near the frequency response that CDs do for that and many other genres. People want so much to have their work on vinyl that they'll even do lathe cuts, which objectively sound terrible. A great breakdown of the facts about vinyl's sound can be found here: http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/29-does-vinyl-really-sound-better/

To be fair, the article does end on a note of personal preference, and I do agree with that sentiment when all is said & done.

The artwork can't be beat, though, and I think they sell more as an art piece than anything else. But to me, it isn't worth the epic waiting period & insane cost. Hell, someone should just release a nice box of artwork, posters, etc with a download code in it & call it a day.

On the plus side, CD replication has never been cheaper or more accessible...
Sink Slop Processing :: Prescription-Strength Noise
www.sinkslop.com

F_c_O

JuhoN

Quote from: F_c_O on March 01, 2016, 10:33:57 PM
On what are you supposed to play that?

I think it's normal size of cd.
Out part is like 7' vinyl and inside part is cd?

F_c_O

Quote from: KMusselman on March 01, 2016, 10:45:17 PM
Quote from: F_c_O on March 01, 2016, 10:33:57 PM
On what are you supposed to play that?

"The CD comes with a special plastic adaptor already inserted, in order to facilitate playback on a record deck. The vinyl track is lathe-cut around the outer-most part of the CD, with the regular CD-audio data occupying the remaining space inside creating a highly unusual and unique artefact."
well damn it, clearly didnt read it with proper tought. well, i guess its a neat object but there are certainly reasons why only one place produces them, heh.

SinkSlopProcessing

That CD/Vinyl isn't truly a hybrid format - it's just a lathe cut. You could make a lathe cut record on damn near anything.

It's a cool novelty, but they all sound like an old gramophone record. The difference in sound quality can be found here: http://lathecuts.com/samples.php
Sink Slop Processing :: Prescription-Strength Noise
www.sinkslop.com

Bob

Quote from: JuhoN on February 25, 2016, 08:06:44 PM

It is certainly the most expensive format and I am glad if it is still around but music should really be something beyond format types. I geuss it depends on what kind of playback equipment you have aswell. I have never warmed to CD that much but I am not adverse to other kind's of digital also tapes are neat but I need a proper tape deck.

holy ghost

It's great a physical medium still exists. My wife just signed up for an Apple Music account, and is thrilled she doesn't have to deal with CDs, fuck even FILES anymore. It's the way of the future. I hate it. I need a shelf full of records and a stupid want list written down.

So basically I'm assuming the "vinyl comeback/resurgence/bubble" is going to rescind back into a niche market sooner than later (2 years before the novelty wears off for most randoms) but it's been great to pick up great records and I'll enjoy buying used records? Maybe I'm wrong? I doubt it. At the very least it'll keep new stuff coming out. Maybe one day "record store day" will just fuck itself off finally?