Rodger Stella

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 16, 2015, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

HOLLOW BUSH "Laura Dern In The House Of Blue Light" tape
Three Songs Of Lenin
Last time I listened, was Thank Your Lucky Stars CDR, self financed release of pretty crappy noise and shouting the famous slogan over and over again. At least this is how I remembered it. I liked Rodger Stella 7" what came out on Swedish label while ago. But listening this 2008 tape release made me think what else I do have from Hollow Bush! Since this was great. It reminds me a bit of NULL of Ultimate Material era. Droning, yet noisy. Pitch changing theremin type of sound but always something interesting happening.

Some of the greatest works of Rodger Stella is obviously in what he has done as part of MACRONYMPHA, but as solo artists, he has material what belong among very best of the genre. One Dark Eye is absolute must. I would naturally recommend Transmissions Of Fistulae Auris on Industrial Recollections, together with Manic Depression what came couple years later (1996) and reissued on CD by Ljud & Bild Produktion!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irxhLgWXnN8

Stuff under his own name, I'm not too familiar with. Experiences? Comments on releases?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

The quite recent 7" on I Dischi Del Barone, The Final Programme, is really good. Confusing and intense, but not harsh och dirty by any means (far from Macro and ODE is what I'm trying to say). Synthesizers (?) being the main ingredient, and with the rather crispy and clear production, it wasn't really what I expected. Could easily have been longer, this EP, which I guess is part of why I love it.
I also enjoyed that live tape on Skeleton Dust. It's been a while since I heard it now though and I can't remember anything about it. Should revisit it soon...

Johann

Resin Drones on UE is excellent, I picked up the extended tape from Stella. First side is sea sick acoustic guitar, kind of like SE Josef Hinders 7" but a bit more worked over with side Bbeing excellent SW collage that reminded me of ODE stuff.

whiteheatnoise

Rodger excels both on recordings and on stage. He has played Dayton several times in the last few years, and all of the performances were solid. He played a One Dark Eye set here this past May which was a really nice revisit to the crunchy/crumbling Macro days of yore. There will be a tape coming out on Skeleton Dust relatively soon that documents this performance.

One Dark Eye's "Transmissions of Fistulae Auris" is one of my all-time favorites. An absolutely essential example of Rodger's approach to sound and composition.

coinbender

i ve got around One Dark Eye -  Chronicle Of A Death Foretold  which is great . listening for some time now.
not as good as "Transmissions of Fistulae Auris" ,less dynamic i think   but well rewarding.
Seconding the finall programme . Ace!

collapsedhole

I 2nd the 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold' 2cd, most amazing ODE in my opinion. terrible mistake it is miscredited on the release itself as being Joe Roemer.