Headphone recommandations

Started by Leatherface, December 09, 2015, 03:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatherface

You can recommand me a good light "street" headphone, for a good price?
Please not a "extra supra bass boost" shits.

BlackHole

sbtdoh

I totally love my Shure SRH550DJ. use them every day.
www.shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com    -rooted in dirge & spite- all cassette tape label and zine haus

pentd

thomann sells these cheapo "SUPERLUX"  clones of famous expensive models:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm

and more... picked up ca.25e "DJ cans", as recommended by the folks at camp Kieltolaki / Ritual Mist, who picked up a bunch of these for their r'sal studio

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: pentd on April 02, 2016, 08:19:40 AM
thomann sells these cheapo "SUPERLUX"  clones of famous expensive models:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm

and more... picked up ca.25e "DJ cans", as recommended by the folks at camp Kieltolaki / Ritual Mist, who picked up a bunch of these for their r'sal studio

I use Skullcandy's Hesh 2 model. They're rather bass-y and look hipster-ish and huge but they're well-made, do the job, you can change the cord whenever it's broken without having to change the headset as well, etc... I like that.

The new Kieltolaki LP is awesome.

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrande

I'm pretty in love with the Urban Ears Medis. They are kind of neat as they dont insert into your ear, but instead perch between the pinna and outer ear canal. So you dont get the bass note resonance with your ear canal. Which is a good thing.
I've actually mixed things with these when I was traveling. Or when my apartment got poisonous and I had to live in my car.
They have a cloth covered cord and are pretty robust. My current pair is 2 years old. The previous pair was only wrecked when they got slammed in the car door and dragged a few miles.
They come in funny colors too. I like grey.

Plus one on the Grados. Those are amazing headphones, but the design of them is not very sturdy.
They do have open backs, so you can hear around you well.

I have had very positive results from AKG K240m (also open back).
I currently use Shure 440(?) for closed back recording stuff.

urall

recently got the audio technica msr7 headphones - and i think they're awesome.
Pretty neutral with (for me) sufficient bass. I tried the Audio Technica ATH-M50x (which is their more popular model) but that was way too much bass for me.

acsenger

KMusselman, is that a NAD CD player & amp in the background? I've got a C 326BEE integrated amp and a C 546BEE CD player.

acsenger

Quote from: KMusselman on March 05, 2017, 12:28:40 PM
acsenger, C 375BEE Integrated Amp with MDC DAC Module and C 546BEE CD Player.  for lossless audio, i have an old 17" MacBook Pro running Amarra 4.  speakers are B&W 685.  with the grills off, you probably would have recognized them.  power cable and power conditioner from Shunyata Research.  all other cables from The Chord Company.

I just looked up the MDC DAC Module. My amp doesn't have it, but I only use Tidal (through my iPhone connected by a cable to the amp's MP input) every now and then anyway.
I forget what cables I have, but my speaker cables are Acoustic Zen Epoch that were a massive improvement over my previous budget cables.
Do the upgraded power cable and the power conditioner make a big difference? I haven't looked into them because I have this concept that they wouldn't be a noticeable improvement in my entry-level hi-fi.

acsenger

Quote from: KMusselman on March 07, 2017, 09:29:20 PMsave your money and buy a more powerful amp.  i couldn't be more pleased with the C 375BEE.

My amp has more than enough power for my current apartment -- since it's a small place, I never even go halfway with the volume knob. I also don't listen to music from my computer, so I don't need the DAC module you have. But in a month I'm moving and I don't know what kind of apartment I'll end up living in, so I might need to upgrade my amp in the future.

If I have the money in the future, I'll upgrade everything to a brand/brands in a higher category (except for my Clearaudio Concept turntable, most likely). But if I never have the money, I'll be happy with my current setup too.

acsenger

Quote from: KMusselman on March 08, 2017, 07:03:18 PM
i never lived in one, but can imagine playing music at loud volumes could be disrespectful.  loud does not always equal good sound.  anyway, my whole point is that the amp is the foundation of any good system.  don't be fooled by a "brand/brands in a higher category."  what i like most about NAD is the end result, the sound.  no Hi-Fi snobbery here.  my set up is certainly entry level.  i set a budget and then research to get the best product within that.  i have one more upgrade to make.  that is going to be the Venom PS 8 by Shunyata Research.

I do have to consider the neighbours, but since my living room is small anyway, I simply don't need to crank up the volume. Luckily, the volume I like doesn't seem to disturb the neighbours as they've never complained.
I also don't like hi-fi snobbery, and will only upgrade, finances allowing, if it brings real improvement. I also do my research quite meticulously before buying anything.
The last upgrade I did was a couple months ago when I bought a Rega Fono MM phono pre-amp. At the moment, I don't want to upgrade anything.

david lloyd jones

a small playing space can indeed mean you don't need to pies the neighbours off to fill the room with sound
I would also say don't worry about the neighbours too much.
you may annoy with your noise but I'm sure they have behaviours that annoy you.
close quarter living can be a case of live and let live/putting up with your neighbours' shot to do your own thing in return.

acsenger

KMusselman, how is your upgrade? Is there a noticeable difference in sound?