Tobacco

Started by Zodiac, November 18, 2015, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zodiac

Since we got a thread about coffee, why not one about tobacco as well ? Like coffee, tobacco is a fuel for many around the globe
and gets consumed in different shapes and styles.

For me it is oral tobacco, i did quite smoking after nearly 20 years some time ago and never looked back. Today i am a user of swedish
snus and american dip/chew. My day starts with a prilla or a pinch and ends with it. Since i dont drink alcohol anymore and dont do any
drugs, this is the thing the brightens my day during times of work, stress or other more or less unconfortable times.

What is about you ? Tobacco user ? What do you use ? Any neat stories to tell about the subject ? Let´em come.
Remember, remember... december.

Sturmfieber

These days it's mostly cheap cigarillos but for a while it was mainly Pall Malls (until the prices kept rising) and the occasional pack of Dunhills.

Zodiac

Quote from: Sturmfieber on November 19, 2015, 05:25:09 PM
These days it's mostly cheap cigarillos but for a while it was mainly Pall Malls (until the prices kept rising) and the occasional pack of Dunhills.

By these brands i guess you are in the UK ? If yes, how are prices over there these days ? I went to London about 17 years ago and even then
it was costly in comparsion to Germany.

ONE

UK prices are ludicrous: next level whack, as in touching 20 GBP for 50g rolling tobacco.  It's been 5€ for 30g in Germany for a while, well, the better brands.

I gave up smoking weed, that was easy, even after 20 years; but I'm not sure if I'll ever give up tobacco completely.  I can go a few weeks now before cracking and buying some rolling tobacco.  I will smoke a little over two days then dispose of the rest, till a few weeks down the line.  If I have it, I will smoke it.  It's important I dispose of it in disgust, as, well there's not much to recommend the drug ...
resist the things you can find everywhere

Sturmfieber

Quote from: Staalwaart on November 21, 2015, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: Sturmfieber on November 19, 2015, 05:25:09 PM

By these brands i guess you are in the UK ? If yes, how are prices over there these days ? I went to London about 17 years ago and even then
it was costly in comparsion to Germany.

No, I'm in the US. Let's see... by now Pall Malls would probably be around $6 give or take a few cents, L&Ms go for $5.50, and the last time I got Dunhills (a couple of months ago) it was a little over $8.

Zodiac

8$ for a pack of cigarettes, that´s some serious money.  How many cigarettes are in these packages ? 20 ? We have nearly same prices when it comes
to deluxe brands and so-called "BIG" packs. 28 or 29 Camels go for 7 Euro, i guess that is nearly 8$. Of course, someone can always go cheap and buy
low-price brands like 30 cigarettes for around 5 Euro (+/-), it depend on personal choice but the big names get more expensive every year.

Quote from: ONE on November 21, 2015, 10:36:38 PM
UK prices are ludicrous: next level whack, as in touching 20 GBP for 50g rolling tobacco.  It's been 5€ for 30g in Germany for a while, well, the better brands.
This is the perfect example, some years ago you got 50g for 5 Euro and today its around 30g to 35g. Even the RYO tobacco gets more expensive and
they try to fool consumers with bigger packages but less content (in weight) because of their so-called "volumne tobacco" - what is most of the time
some horrid product in comparsion with quality rolling tobacco.

As i can remember, smoking in UK wasn´t cheap anymore since the 90´s ???

Since i did switch to oral tobacco, my problem is mainly to get it. While access to snus gets easier and easier (thanks to more demand and more shops
who just ship wherever you are, i still struggle hard to get american dip. German custom agents dont get the fact that dip is not snus nor it is smoking tobacco and so some parcels never arrive while for others i have to pay additional tax. Annoying, but i live with it, since not smoking anymore is great
and i somehow love tobacco. This is the best way for me.

ONE

The only tobacco-related anecdote I can offer is one of my pal, Jez, sitting in a crowded Welsh pub - already close to hammered as can be - knocking a quadruple gin into his tobacco pouch.  Irritated, he drains the contents of the pouch back into the glass then squeezes in the remainder of the gin from the tobacco before knocking the vile concoction back.

Six hours later I observed him in exquisite agony, vomiting hard against the side of our house for what must've been one hour straight.  He's a big guy, as wide as he is tall and I dare say if I had done the same I would've died of tobacco poisoning as I'm as light as I am thin.  During these years Jez was a pro binge drinker, and he never vomited no matter how much he drank...
resist the things you can find everywhere

Zodiac

Quote from: ONE on November 22, 2015, 08:42:01 PM
He's a big guy, as wide as he is tall and I dare say if I had done the same I would've died of tobacco poisoning as I'm as light as I am thin.

I guess you are absolutly right about this. Good for him to that big.

Well, at some time me and my lady did some heavy kissing as foreplay and i still had a snus portion in my mouth, during the wet tonque
action it well into her month. Since it was so-called "cold flavour" (think spearmint like a chewing gum), she did think it was a chewing
gum. Well, she felt quite unbalanced after a few minutes and we had to stop the entire course of action. She did never smoke and was
never exposed to nicotine besides second-hand smoke, so you can guess how hard it did hit her organism. She was quite angry for some
days.

Sturmfieber

Quote from: Staalwaart on November 22, 2015, 05:32:31 PM
8$ for a pack of cigarettes, that´s some serious money.  How many cigarettes are in these packages ? 20 ? We have nearly same prices when it comes
to deluxe brands and so-called "BIG" packs. 28 or 29 Camels go for 7 Euro, i guess that is nearly 8$. Of course, someone can always go cheap and buy
low-price brands like 30 cigarettes for around 5 Euro (+/-), it depend on personal choice but the big names get more expensive every year.

Yeah, there's 20. I've heard that the prices in New York are worse, like $10 for a pack.

Zodiac

Quote from: Sturmfieber on November 23, 2015, 08:28:38 AM
Quote from: Staalwaart on November 22, 2015, 05:32:31 PM

Yeah, there's 20. I've heard that the prices in New York are worse, like $10 for a pack.

I heard the same about the prices for dip (worst in whole U.S.) and the ban of anything that has another flavour then straight and natural.
Seems not like a good place for tobacco lovers.

C601

They're more like $12 in NYC

KillToForget

It's around $10 for a pack of pall malls in Chicago, 13 for most others. Back home I was only paying 5 bucks a pack so nowadays i just roll my own for much cheaper