MERCURY HALL

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 23, 2015, 09:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was quite blown away by MERCURY HALL "Through The Imperial Family "-12".
I guess one sider 12" isn't the absolute best format considering value for playtime vs. money. Being edition of 100, with professional covers, printed innersleeves, color vinyl etc, it might not be cheapest, but damn, how great it is. If tape from 2014 is anywhere this good, I don't wonder why it was listed by some people among highlights of year.

I feel that LP does sound better than soundcloud samples:
https://soundcloud.com/a-dear-girl-called-wendy/mercury-hall-extract
There is always kind of extra punch and pressure in everything. It doesn't sound just "acoustic junk". Also, this extract is misleading in terms of full composition. Being taken from beginning of track, you'll miss whole development of sampled choral music, further editing skills and such. It is most of all very detailed and carefully crafted piece of acoustic noises, reversed sounds, but much more too. Genius qualities is found with multiple listenings and giving attention to detail.

I'd say latest LETTERA 22 LP was amazing as well, so I'm not surprised that member of this duo does well with his solo works as well. Any comments about Mercury Hall tape?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ashmonger

Wasn't aware of this project, but this sample sounds really interesting.

eyesofsatan

Wow that video sounds great. Thanks for that.

Agreed that the 12" is amazing, definitely one of my favorites of this year. New Lettera 22 is absolutely bonkers as well. So precise.

urall

I picked up the tape a while ago and totally love it.
Still need to check the LP.

acsenger

I got the Civilization Year tape today and just finished listening to it. It's very good. There's a nice flow to both sides and at times they're quite atmospheric (the booklet says "late night electronics" and the music fits that time of the day indeed). Some parts have quiet, delicate noises but at the same time they have physical impact. There are occasional field recordings of distant conversations that add a nice element.
The packaging is a plastic bag with some xeroxed inserts that are a bit too crudely photocopied, but overall the packaging is OK.
I also got the 12" but haven't listened to it.

I really like threads like this that have a good description of a project/band that I'm not familiar with which makes me curious and order the described release. In this case, I grabbed both the 12" and tape based on this thread and the sound sample (plus the video of the concert) and I'm glad to have discovered this project. Looking forward to hearing the 12".

eyesofsatan

Trying to find the Civilization Year cassette still.

The 12" is insanely good. Also I just saw Matteo posted on Instagram about a Mercury Hall 4xCS coming out in Dec.

urall

Quote from: eyesofsatan on October 29, 2015, 09:41:34 PM
Trying to find the Civilization Year cassette still.

The 12" is insanely good. Also I just saw Matteo posted on Instagram about a Mercury Hall 4xCS coming out in Dec.

soundohm still has copies. Excellent news about that 4xCS! - i must've missed the IG post..

Eloy

New release:

MERCURY HALL - Library's Bells 4xCS

Eight tracks of field recordings and reel to reel loops.

SecondSleep.org/MH4

noyearning

I completely adore his (and their) work. Truly well crafted and precise. I'm left in awe everytime I listen to anything by Lettera and Mercury Hall. That URSSS video is amazing, the LP (albeit, yes, too short) is an incredible piece of work. The recording quality is so crystal clear, with a lot of dynamics. Still need to acquire the Civilization Year tape, though. And really curious to hear the 4cs box.

Also, if anyone is into it, Riccardo (Lettera other half) records some pretty interesting Industrial Techno as RM. Current Logic is an amazing album.

eyestrain

Quote from: noyearning on March 14, 2017, 09:20:04 PMAlso, if anyone is into it, Riccardo (Lettera other half) records some pretty interesting Industrial Techno as RM. Current Logic is an amazing album.

Highly recommend the recent tape on Yerevan! My favorite yet.