DEATHRATTLE NIGHT (Kuopio, Finland)

Started by MT, August 26, 2010, 05:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

BU set was shorter than expected. Some technical issues plagued video footage and vocals very mixed very low. Raw rumbling and crackling harsh noise wall basically most of the time, which was dirty and fierce. In middle of the set police gave a visit to bar and told to keep volume down due neighbors complaints. One of the bar staff came to "stage" two times saying that to BU, but he kept playing with pretty much same volume until abruptly cut set somewhere in c. 17-18 minutes. It was ok, but not as great as Pori some weeks ago which simply crushed!

Cloama is the rare thing to see, and now with special line-up having mr. Cloama behind synthesizers & electronic gadgets + female vocalist in front. Heavy bassy throbbing synth pulsations and eerie sung vocal "drone" with heavy delay and occasional bursts of feedback. In some ways something Cloama could do, but female voice gave it new angle. Line-up that could be seen in future too?

Grunt played last, mostly variations of Pori material, yet became quite different. Little over 20 minutes set was shorter than Pori (28?) but things were more under control. Perhaps material of some songs is such a crude that it may leave impression of something "missing", yet it went pretty close just as intended. Sometimes leaving out the heavy rumbles and focusing on processed vocals/high pitched hiss/sudden low hums coming & going.

I liked how this gig went. Doors at 19:30, playing starting sharp 20:00, and live music done by 22:00! Still time to get to eat/drink etc and most of all prepare to c. 4 hours drive back! It would have been very different if playing would have started at 22:00 like its quite common. I hope in Finland would get established this type of "japanese" / "uk" playing times.

Kuopio was very positive surprise with 56 sold tickets + bands + organizers etc.. perhaps 70+ people in small crowded bar back room. If conditions allow, I hope organizer will do more. Thanks for them to both!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

Great gigs all together, only the sudden stop for BU was a step back but even with that I am very satisfied with the result. BU was brutal as fuck, too bad the vocals did not get much sound, but the bits were heard were in my taste! Cloama set was very good, enjoyed it very much with a bit of diversity and delicious sounds. Grunt was simply supreme. Great background video and great sound, all in a nice disharmony. Also the amount of crowd was a pleasent surprise.

Huge thanks to all the performers!! Next time with better gig place (more remote) and louder destructive sound. Kuopio kiittää ja kuittaa.

XE

GRUNT perfect!!!

CLOAMA surpriced w/female vocals, classically trained.She is doing something for operas etc. More more more! few very nasty parts when she raised her voice "Kuolemaa ...."

BU - idea was to start vocals very low, hah  I guess they remain too fucking low all the time. But have to say when someone`s interrupts your set twice(!) police visits the door ..  the whole thing is pretty much ruined. wont be playing in places like that in future. Noise w/out noise. no thanks.

Some pics later...