Psych Folk Thread

Started by Jaakko V., June 29, 2015, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eloy

Subway

"Subway was a duo, consisting of an American and an UK- guy, who released their only album in France. There they lived and played both for some time as street musicians, who played their compositons even at Parisien subway, hence the bandname."

http://www.discogs.com/artist/2321075-Subway-18

makhlukhalus

at the top of my head :::::: Sir Richard Bishop, Marissa Nadler, Jack Rose

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 30, 2015, 07:24:33 PMFor a slightly doomier vibe

The Gray Field Recordings is one of those rare entities who attracted me solely on project name (plus psych-folk associations). "Gray field recordings with a psyche-folk vibe", how can you go wrong? Actually the project doesn't quite live up to the name but that's fine. Alternately cold/warm droney ambient-folk backdrops served with the often creeped-out sung and spoken nursery rhyme vocals of Ms R.Loftiss.
https://soundcloud.com/the-gray-field-recordings/nancys-song-to-charlie

Timothy Renner / Stone Breath has a few releases under the name Crow Tongue. The Red Hand Mark is the most recent I've heard, and this one ventures heavily into hand percussion, vague drone elements so faint as to be non-existent. This was released together with Prophecies and Secrets (The Red Hand Mark in Dub), which was actually much better than I expected. More focus on laying out a nice, rhythmic, atmosphere, not so much the funkinated head-nodding, maybe a bit of a Muslimgauze influence in there.
https://handeye.bandcamp.com/
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

upturnedeye

Fairport Convention - Leige and Leif
Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Nature and Organisation - Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude

And of course Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind and other folk-era stuff.

I'll also second Comus, In Gowan Ring, and Pentangle.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 30, 2015, 07:24:33 PM
Only vaguely related, but with a slight Appalachian folk connect plus very good- Cye Wood And Lisa Gerrard - The Trail Of Genghis Khan.

This Cye Wood chap has a project called Cave In The Sky. The one album released this year on bandcamp is very well put together, if very pretty- a tad overmuch for my tastes. Still I quite like the live version of one particular song, much more stripped down and affecting methinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSOn2K7XB8g

Nary a set of robin hood tights in sight I'm afraid.
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

So a new In Gowan Ring album sees the light of day. Any thoughts from anyone? I will of course be obligingly getting me some but for the moment have but this to go by:

https://youtu.be/x9INIBV7znQ

Sounds not entirely unlike I might anticipate, finding some middle ground in between Birch Book and classic IGR. Lyrically then more earthy than psychedelic amid similarly earthed pastoral phrasing. Not sure if that makes it more or less Robin Hood, but will stand by my earlier suggested critique of latter day IGR. Still undeniably well put together if, much like the above-mentioned Cye Wood, flirting with the icky realms of new age / elevator / hollywood. A couple of online promo/reviews mention DCD which raised my eyebrows but also alarm bells in the said direction.

Which reminds me. Possibly of greater note. Earlier in the year rumors of a new Twelve Thousand Days album were floating around... supposedly due toward the later part of 2015. Well then.
And take you for a drag

Bob

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 07, 2015, 05:22:10 PM
So a new In Gowan Ring album sees the light of day. Any thoughts from anyone? I will of course be obligingly getting me some but for the moment have but this to go by:

https://youtu.be/x9INIBV7znQ

Sounds not entirely unlike I might anticipate, finding some middle ground in between Birch Book and classic IGR. Lyrically then more earthy than psychedelic amid similarly earthed pastoral phrasing. Not sure if that makes it more or less Robin Hood, but will stand by my earlier suggested critique of latter day IGR. Still undeniably well put together if, much like the above-mentioned Cye Wood, flirting with the icky realms of new age / elevator / hollywood. A couple of online promo/reviews mention DCD which raised my eyebrows but also alarm bells in the said direction.

Which reminds me. Possibly of greater note. Earlier in the year rumors of a new Twelve Thousand Days album were floating around... supposedly due toward the later part of 2015. Well then.

Saw In Gowan Ring live last night at Kinsale really great intimate and unique concert well worth to see if you have the chance. Couple of other new songs here http://7ciel.net/ I geuss it follows on from his other works maybe nothing really mind blowing but nice stuff all the same I think.

Zeno Marx

https://sangredemuerdago.bandcamp.com/album/o-cami-o-das-mans-valeiras

Thoughts on this group?  They come out of a punk/crust tradition, so I've been surprised by the quality.  I haven't heard this new one, but the past releases have been a little off.  I haven't been able to pinpoint it, but I think it is something about how they record and/or process their recordings.  The strings don't pop out at you in a warm, particulate way.  They aren't raw, either.  They're a little lifeless, or sterile, which makes me wonder if they're using inappropriate, or junky, digital effects.  I think they have a lot of promise, but they've consistently felt like underachievers.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 11, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
underachievers.

I share this sentiment, and also that the recordings seem fairly lifeless. They just don't conjure up anything too moving for me. Aimless use of runes always kills appreciation.

holydeath

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 11, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
https://sangredemuerdago.bandcamp.com/album/o-cami-o-das-mans-valeiras

Thoughts on this group?  They come out of a punk/crust tradition, so I've been surprised by the quality.  I haven't heard this new one, but the past releases have been a little off.  I haven't been able to pinpoint it, but I think it is something about how they record and/or process their recordings.  The strings don't pop out at you in a warm, particulate way.  They aren't raw, either.  They're a little lifeless, or sterile, which makes me wonder if they're using inappropriate, or junky, digital effects.  I think they have a lot of promise, but they've consistently felt like underachievers.

People have given praise to Sangre de Muerdago for ages and I can't get behind them. The overall work sounds well played etc, but the lifelessness certainly leaves me flaccid. There's too much "world music" and empty neofolk themes with nothing too interesting happening musically.

Bloated Slutbag

I am totally enamoured of

Natural Snow Buildings

Not a Robin Hood tight in sight, but simply some of the best psychedelic strumming to be had. The strings strum, the bells tinkle, the wordless voices float atop the occasional tribal percuss.. massed clusters consistently to achieve an all-saturating density. As the mind kicks back and floats in sumptuous clouds of shimmering twilight one only asks why all (psych) folk couldn't be like this. I admit I am exceedingly perturbed that I've heard not a peep in over a year's time, tell me it ain't so...

And on that note...
Quote from: burdizzo on June 30, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
Try The Hare And The Moon, an English band on Reverb Worship. They have three albums, but the first is probably the best.

Totally great! Totally nails the Robin Hood tights, but really out there... in the woods and beyond... out to sea, out in the fields, out to lunch... down in the dungeons, up into the airy fairy air. Strong ritual vibe, darkened, maddened, ok occasionally acid-soaked, but but. Yes, they seem to get a lot of tips along the "acid folk" lines, but. This is really something else. Please see the following, "the final The Hare And The Moon album" (from 2017) and weep:

https://thehareandthemoon.bandcamp.com/album/the-hare-and-the-moon-futur-pass

The first probably was their best, but their apparent last is probably better still. (LAST?! GASP!! Whywhywhy would anyone kill a thing of such singular perv-vection? The world hates me.)

Funnily enough, I ignored recommendations of this band for some time because I confused the name with another somewhat related project by the name of Moongazing Hare. Actually not bad for what it is... pretty much straight down the line, bringing nothing mindblowing but bringing it well enough. His latest is actually reviewed, quite positively, but the Hare And The Moon Guy
http://active-listener.blogspot.jp/2016/03/moongazing-hare-wild-nothing.html

Some pretty nice low-fi vibes, if yer into that kinda thing.
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 04, 2018, 05:03:00 PM

Natural Snow Buildings

Not a Robin Hood tight in sight, but simply some of the best psychedelic strumming to be had. The strings strum, the bells tinkle, the wordless voices float atop the occasional tribal percuss.. massed clusters consistently to achieve an all-saturating density. As the mind kicks back and floats in sumptuous clouds of shimmering twilight one only asks why all (psych) folk couldn't be like this. I admit I am exceedingly perturbed that I've heard not a peep in over a year's time, tell me it ain't so...
Where to start?

Quote from: burdizzo on June 30, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
Try The Hare And The Moon, an English band on Reverb Worship. They have three albums, but the first is probably the best.

Totally great! Totally nails the Robin Hood tights, but really out there... in the woods and beyond... out to sea, out in the fields, out to lunch... down in the dungeons, up into the airy fairy air. Strong ritual vibe, darkened, maddened, ok occasionally acid-soaked, but but. Yes, they seem to get a lot of tips along the "acid folk" lines, but. This is really something else. Please see the following, "the final The Hare And The Moon album" (from 2017) and weep:

https://thehareandthemoon.bandcamp.com/album/the-hare-and-the-moon-futur-pass

The first probably was their best, but their apparent last is probably better still. (LAST?! GASP!! Whywhywhy would anyone kill a thing of such singular perv-vection? The world hates me.)
Indeed.  Totally great!
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 04, 2018, 07:49:51 PM

Natural Snow Buildings

Where to start?

Looking over their massive discog, that would be the first question. Fortunately, the answer is, any of the more recent things (except Aldebaran), and in particular anything that is readily available (on discogs, at least).

In order, I would say:

Terror Horns
Beyond The Veil
Waves Of The Random Sea

NSB at their full psych-folk density, rich melancholic tonalities reminiscent of Soundtracks For The Blind /  Body Lovers era Swans but free flowing into complex harmonic depths. I wanted to draw comparison to Pelt, but with less "free" exploratory range, more focus on conveying throbbing, ambient, lull.

After that,
Shadow Kingdom
Chants Of Niflheim

The former more raw and hinting at some of the slightly scorched feedback drenchings elsewhere explored, the latter dissolving into unutterably gorgeous fields of reverberant chime-throb.

Then,
Isengrind, TwinSisterMoon, Natural Snow Buildings ‎– The Snowbringer Cult
Perhaps this should be the first to recommend. Isengrind is the solo project of the girl, TwinSisterMoon that of the boy, only to conclude with clear demonstration of how much better they are when working together. (Though I do love it all.) If NSB successfully piques the ear, please do look into the solo projects...
EDIT
https://badabingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/isengrind-twinsistermoon-natural-snow-buildings

(i think the above might be the only decent thing readily available on bandcamp for those that care)

And,
Night Country
-which kinda feels like a Isengrind-TwinSisterMoon-Natural Snow Buildlings mixmeisterwerk. Can be perused via archive.org and the freemusicarchive.org, along with a good amount of NSB that is currently unavailable, hopefully to be reissued at some point.

There is plenty of other material. Daughter Of Darkness a good example of NSB when they get properly loud and feedback-drenched. Again, not what I would call their premium material- but still very enjoyable to my ear! But maybe more for those who might appreciate, say, Fushitsusha at their screeching-most. (I freely admit this comparison is retarded at best, just trying to offer some sense of contrast.)
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Spires That In The Sunset Rise – Ancient Patience Wills It Again
https://spiresthatinthesunsetrise.bandcamp.com/album/ancient-patience-wills-it-again-part-1
https://spiresthatinthesunsetrise.bandcamp.com/album/ancient-patience-wills-it-again-part-2

This is to my knowledge the only STITSR to really nail psych folk. Before APWIA, they were plain weird- witchy wild freakish percussion n twang, dense shambolic masses, vocals as ready to soothe as to declaim slash rant. Since APWIA two members have flown the coop whilst the remainder have gone gamelan freejazz or something.

But in Ancient Patience Wills It Again, both parts, strings and other proper folk trappings dominate a properly dark and drone-prone atmosphere, subdued, properly composed song structures to produce trembling, sometimes gorgeous, quietly insistent, hush and coo. In the sweetened flautist "Revalla" I'm even vaguely reminded of Arrowwood.  As this is STITSR however there is still a tendency, here and there, to indulge skewed twitchy-shaman-ish vocals. No complaints here, great stuff.

If APWIA appeals and one is feeling a bit more adventurous, folk-wise I'd go for their self-titled debut (2003), Four Winds The Walker and Curse The Traced Bird. Quiet little folk gems glimmer amid free ranging freak-out oddities. Love it all I do.
And take you for a drag

holy ghost

Quote from: Leewar on July 02, 2015, 06:52:03 PM
Jan Dukes de Grey - Mice and rats in the loft.

This is a great one. I admit my first entry into this stuff was Comus and wow, what else is going to come close? But this is pretty friggin' weird. I never did click with the more mellow folky stuff.

I recently bought an original copy of Catherine Riebero & Alpes "Paix" LP and that is pretty out there, great vocals, great mellow psych in the background. I'd suggest that one although I'm not familiar with the rest of her/their output.

I do give that Buffy St. Marie LP that made the Wire list a spin fairly frequently and it's cool but hasn't had the impact it had for others. One day maybe.....

I'd also echo the Silvester Anfang/Sylvester Anfang II suggestion. I've been collection their albums forever and while there's some misses, particularly on the II era of the band that kind of aimlessly jam, the original era had some amazing stuff. I particularly like the double CD with those foxy topless witches on the cover.