FFH/Richard Dunn

Started by Peterson, April 22, 2015, 04:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREETMEAT

Quote from: collapsedhole on April 25, 2015, 02:57:55 PM
"Make Them Understand" - probably the best PE Hospital ever released, really a great record.

ive heard "stories" about richard but wasnt there so i wouldnt know.

sterilization

lol, I guess mikko erased my gossip post detailng the conversation that I had with an acquaintance of dunn's.
I came back to say that using that juicy info, I now know that the song "greenpoint" on prurient's recent "frozen niagra falls" album is about Dunn. What clued me in is that there is a particular line in the song that references some of the details as well as the gentleman that I spoke with.

I guess they aren't good friends anymore.

caveman

Was just listening to Make Them Understand yesterday. A damn-near perfect album. There's a remarkably personal touch to it, especially considering that usually this sort of PE indebted to the old school doesn't amount to much more than trite comfort food.

Gotta agree with everyone about the need for reissues/collections of the LP and earlier material, though looking at the very particular quantities in which the original tapes and vinyl came out makes me think he has a thing for keeping things limited.

caveman

Symbol To Be Forgotten - what a release. Nobody could ever mistake this for music or for entertainment.

Sound-wise it's signature FFH but does have some new elements to it, and feels like material that he could not have produced at any time other than after the LP.
Familiar use of samples, strained vocals with no histrionics or bombast to them, having all the more impact for how naked and upfront they are. Primitive and palpable noise, no attempts at forcing it to take upon a more structured shape, deliberate avoidance of even the most basic conventional musical rules. Slight elements of musique concrète creeping in, which I don't remember from any other FFH I have heard, and what I think(?) is the use of a modular synth on the first track.

In terms of atmosphere, this might be the most dismal and unforgiving material he has made so far. No catharsis, no PE used as substitute for metal or punk, nothing there to inspire headbanging or fist-pumping, just pure misery. I'm hesitant to say that this is what power electronics should be, but it's close to the ideal.

thetenthousandthings

I'm seeking To Find Men if anyone has a copy, cheers.

vegasfountain

New FFH tape came out on No Rent this morning. Looks like it's almost sold out already.

https://norentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/zyklon-and-leather-nrr79

DSOL

$18 for a tape, which isn't even a special edition...yeah, no thanks
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

totalblack

Quote from: DSOL on June 26, 2018, 07:36:49 PM
$18 for a tape, which isn't even a special edition...yeah, no thanks

I mean I guess it came with "trading cards" and a poster. But with shipping to the EU made for a cost of 28 euro for a single tape with 14 minutes of music on it. Gonna have to pass as well

Kayandah

Yeah, the price and shipping to Asia made this a no-go. I don't normally complain about prices, ultimately you either pay it or you don't, but I didn't see anything there to justify the cost, so it seems purely charging because they can. We're talking noise tapes here, not Louis Vuitton handbags.

vegasfountain

Definitely agree it was overpriced. Mostly just happy to see new music from this project as it's one of my favorites in PE. Especially love the track 'Redundancy'.

Peterson

Quote from: vegasfountain on June 27, 2018, 09:34:03 PM
overpriced

I'll just be "that guy" and say that a C16 for $18 before shipping amounts to more than $1 per 1 minute of music, trading cards included or otherwise. Also - trading cards? This is the point where any accusations of being "manchildren" just won't withstand any defense.

Peterson

OK, I'm gonna eat my previous words and say that now that the reissue without extras is available, I hope I can grab one. After listening on Bandcamp, it's not one to miss.

Balor/SS1535

Hopefully it is acceptable to revive this thread.  I just started listening to this project today, and am intrigued by it.  Does anyone know of any new interviews that have been conducted with FFH since this thread has last been updated.  Also, I suspect that the name FFH is some sort of acronym - any idea what it means?

Eigen Bast

I think 'For Future Holocausts' was used once. I saw he had a show booked in Philly this month (assuming its canceled now)

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Eigen Bast on March 16, 2020, 11:19:37 PM
I think 'For Future Holocausts' was used once. I saw he had a show booked in Philly this month (assuming its canceled now)

Interesting.  Any idea where that name was used?  Also, where are you hearing about his live shows?