COIL

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, April 13, 2015, 12:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

My two year old son could have made better cover art and that's the greatest criticism - Justin n Jo, I actually love you but what on earth were you thinking?

Having heard all about the many disagreements about the Coil legacy between featured secondary contributing artists and bereaved lovers since Balance's death (all of whom have the expected set of life issues) via my friendship with the late great silent partner John Everall my conclusion is that this slightly botched job from Mr Hyde has opened the floodgates, which the superb and lovingly curated pirate EU vinyl editions of 2013 made by unknown parties nudged.

Sleazy was busy with so much else before he died. Mr Whitney who helped him so much is not a record company magnate and it would seem that the now or never feeling of 2015 has finally pushed him into action. FWIW I thought his statement about how none of this can possibly be official was eloquent and beautiful. And I'm looking forward to collecting a full set of Threshold Archives releases, having only recently rediscovered the timeless beauty and magic of what this band did.

BlackHole

One of the finest and most important bands of industrial music. Brilliant band. I also prefer their droney, abstract, ambient soundscapes to their beat driven stuff. Although, Backwards, The New Backwards, and Black Antlers are excellent albums and are very beat driven.

Their best albums I would say are:

How to Destroy Angels
Time Machines
Coil Presents Black Light District ‎– A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room
Elph vs Coil - Worship the Glitch
Musick to Play in the Dark 1 & 2
Astral Disaster
Unreleased Hellraiser Themes
The Angelic Conversation
The Ape of Naples
Black Antlers
The New Backwards

So many good Coil releases.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on October 30, 2015, 06:36:57 AM
My two year old son could have made better cover art and that's the greatest criticism - Justin n Jo, I actually love you but what on earth were you thinking?

Having heard all about the many disagreements about the Coil legacy between featured secondary contributing artists and bereaved lovers since Balance's death (all of whom have the expected set of life issues) via my friendship with the late great silent partner John Everall my conclusion is that this slightly botched job from Mr Hyde has opened the floodgates, which the superb and lovingly curated pirate EU vinyl editions of 2013 made by unknown parties nudged.

Sleazy was busy with so much else before he died. Mr Whitney who helped him so much is not a record company magnate and it would seem that the now or never feeling of 2015 has finally pushed him into action. FWIW I thought his statement about how none of this can possibly be official was eloquent and beautiful. And I'm looking forward to collecting a full set of Threshold Archives releases, having only recently rediscovered the timeless beauty and magic of what this band did.

Well my copy of the Backwards 2xLP arrived damaged.  What they're using for mailers these days is pretty skimpy.  We'll see how my email about that turns out.  And they spelled Drew McDowall's name wrong. 
That said, I thoroughly enjoy what I've heard of the the audio.  I'll enjoy it even more when Jon Whitney releases it with the proper art (hopefully). 

I only was able to catch one of the COIL Threshold Archive releases at a store that is shipping now, the rest of them I pre-ordered on Amazon.com.  The Wrong Eye/Scope CD could have been a little more illuminating, but being that it's mostly out-takes, I don't mind the slim presentation (or the price). 

I'm also curious to see how the new Astral Disaster bootleg has turned out.  I couldn't resist, considering that the legitimate alternative is $100+. 

Drew McDowall's "Collapse" LP is definitely worth owning, by the way.  It's already in it's second pressing pre-order now.   Excellent modular work with an absolute minimum of arpeggios (I think they're over-done).   I saw him live this past summer, excellent rhythmic synth work.   Glad he's still going. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

NO PART OF IT

I've got a refund for the damaged product, I'll say that much. At least that part is covered. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 05, 2015, 01:43:00 PM
Drew McDowall's "Collapse" LP is definitely worth owning, by the way.  It's already in it's second pressing pre-order now.   Excellent modular work with an absolute minimum of arpeggios (I think they're over-done).

Heard that a few nights ago and it is superb.

Somewhat off-topic but this from his ex-wife is one of the most interesting interviews I've ever read from any musician and very much worth the time spent reading it  - http://www.strawberryswitchblade.net/print.php?section=interviews&item=rose

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on November 05, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 05, 2015, 01:43:00 PM
Drew McDowall's "Collapse" LP is definitely worth owning, by the way.  It's already in it's second pressing pre-order now.   Excellent modular work with an absolute minimum of arpeggios (I think they're over-done).

Heard that a few nights ago and it is superb.

Somewhat off-topic but this from his ex-wife is one of the most interesting interviews I've ever read from any musician and very much worth the time spent reading it  - http://www.strawberryswitchblade.net/print.php?section=interviews&item=rose

I've read it before, but didn't mind reading it again.  I'm not an authority on her work but I enjoy the work I have heard immensely.  I was glad to get a limited special edition copy of the Sacred Bones reissue of "Cut With The Cake Knife", I enjoy it.  Incidentally, back on myspace, I talked with her a little, not really having a clear idea how huge she was.  Nothing she'd remember, but she was a remarkably kind lady.  The aforementioned LP has a screen printed slip that says "BUY ME THEN FUCK OFF", incidentally.  Certainly she was not kind to everyone, and I consider myself lucky.  Would have liked to have more of her work with Coil in existence, but what they did was good. 

totalblack

Has anyone else listened to the Coil - Astral Disaster Sessions \ Unfinished Musics LP that just came out today? The samples sound pretty good, but still have a weird feeling about all these posthumous releases

Zeno Marx

How to Destroy Angels is a great and classic track.  I was disappointed in the Cold Spring release.  Maybe it is the recording?  I've listened to the original many, many times, but these tracks feel more like a one-off listen to me.

original:  https://youtu.be/H7xZYX7a6JE

other:  https://coldspring.bandcamp.com/album/how-to-destroy-angels-csr263cd-lp
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

APPLE

Coil & Gee Vaucher 'Disobedients' exhibition opens in Brighton on September 22nd - https://nohawkers.com/upcoming-exhibitions

ritualabuser

Actually started to dig further into the back catalogue of Coil recently after being very impressed with the Zos Kia collaboration/split. Unfortunately, nothing else seems to live up to that standard. Listened to both "Scatology" and "Horse Rotorvator" in full yesterday only to come away with the impression that they have very little to do with what I want when I hear people label them as "industrial". Brings to mind something like Public Image Ltd. or The Birthday Party more than the ritualistic industrial present on the ZK split. Overall, "Scatology" is much more listenable when taken in the context of being some sort of rock music instead of industrial. "Horse Rotorvator" is still largely unlistenable for my taste outside of a couple of tracks like "Blood From The Air". "Circles Of Mania" is cringe-inducingly bad in particular.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: ritualabuser on September 13, 2023, 08:02:32 PMActually started to dig further into the back catalogue of Coil recently after being very impressed with the Zos Kia collaboration/split. Unfortunately, nothing else seems to live up to that standard. Listened to both "Scatology" and "Horse Rotorvator" in full yesterday only to come away with the impression that they have very little to do with what I want when I hear people label them as "industrial". Brings to mind something like Public Image Ltd. or The Birthday Party more than the ritualistic industrial present on the ZK split. Overall, "Scatology" is much more listenable when taken in the context of being some sort of rock music instead of industrial. "Horse Rotorvator" is still largely unlistenable for my taste outside of a couple of tracks like "Blood From The Air". "Circles Of Mania" is cringe-inducingly bad in particular.

I have been having the same problem, actually.  I just got the aforementioend Zos Kia/Coil collab-split release, and I have enjoyed it very much---but not much else has gripped me as strongly.  I do like several tracks from Horse Rotovator, but Scatology hasn't stuck with me yet.

Also, I wanted to ask since I saw it mentioned in the "Noise Now Playing" Facebook group---are all the Cold Spring reissues really bootlegs/unofficial?

moozz

Quote from: ritualabuser on September 13, 2023, 08:02:32 PMActually started to dig further into the back catalogue of Coil recently after being very impressed with the Zos Kia collaboration/split. Unfortunately, nothing else seems to live up to that standard. Listened to both "Scatology" and "Horse Rotorvator" in full yesterday only to come away with the impression that they have very little to do with what I want when I hear people label them as "industrial". Brings to mind something like Public Image Ltd. or The Birthday Party more than the ritualistic industrial present on the ZK split. Overall, "Scatology" is much more listenable when taken in the context of being some sort of rock music instead of industrial. "Horse Rotorvator" is still largely unlistenable for my taste outside of a couple of tracks like "Blood From The Air". "Circles Of Mania" is cringe-inducingly bad in particular.

Going for Coil and expecting "industrial" is a mistake. I'd guess it is labeled as industrial because it is difficult to say what it really is and it often changes from one album to another but it is still always Coil. Sure Scatology has songs that could be labelled as (at least somewhat) industrial like Clap, Aqua Regis or The S.W.B.P. but otherwise it is like some sort of experimental new wave nightmare. Probably the off-key vocals are hard to digest as well. Some albums are more drone or weird electronics, even flirting with techno (like Love's Secret Domain songs The Snow and Windowpane). If you want to try a Coil album that has no vocals, no "songs", and is more like drone/ambient (or "industrial"), try How To Destroy Angels.