PORTLAND 2015?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 28, 2015, 11:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Like that Michigan box, I was just going though Portland 3xLP set. Daniel Menche, always good, always keeps going on. BDONG... seems like this box (according to discogs) was last release that came out? His work here is very nice, massive and gloomy industrial-noise. Lots of screeching metals, droning bass heavy reverb drenched echo mass. Listened his side couple time yesterday and today, just like Menche's noise clatter.

Nkondi is harsh pedal noise. Not quite as heavy and brutal as the best of genre, but does it's job. It has perhaps same "flaws" as some Thirdorgan. Lots of texture, hectic changes, but little bit flat? And it seems pretty odd that so much stuff of usa noise appears to have stopped just around 2008. What happened?

Okha side is long, quite minimal high pitched electronic oscillations. Not bad, but nothing that special. After this comp he seems to have focused just putting out files online?! Barely any proper "releases"?

Pulse Emitter is pretty shitty after decent sides of compilation. Crappy electronics. According to discogs he does "on hyper-melodic cosmic synthesizer music", but perhaps its his later direction? At least this almost 10 year old recording is nothing like that.
Smegma is one the the legends that have done shitloads of stuff, hit & miss. This belongs among better material I have come across. Free form total improvised racket, goofy playful collages, general weirdness. It is good moment to end LP with little uplifting feel as about half of material has been generic.

That said, what is happening in Portland now? I recall someone mentioned about People who Make Noise document, that many of people involved in scene at the time had already dropped out before document even came out? I'm quite curious to hear any comments of people, especially from Portland, what is happening now? What bands active etc?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

sbtdoh

I run Shrouded Recordings out of whats basically Portland, just less than a mile south of Portlands city limits. I have virtually no connection with anyone in Portland though. I would love to meet others and interact. I could say more, but rather just make note that coming out of Portland from me is:

-Shrouded Recordings Zine
-S.R. micro-label cassette tape only. (All tapes 100% hand-made,small runs)
-SBTDOH (my project)

trying to keep this more up to date with activities:
http://shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com/

www.shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com    -rooted in dirge & spite- all cassette tape label and zine haus

BLOOD EAGLE

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 28, 2015, 11:59:34 AMAnd it seems pretty odd that so much stuff of usa noise appears to have stopped just around 2008. What happened?

1 part MANIACS ONLY "SCANDAL" and 2 parts moved on i assume,
now i'm not from there, so this is speculation.
i seem to remember a lot of the portland guys were big on the noiseguide board, and quite a few were butt hurt over some private conversations that happened. i'm 99% sure Nkondi was one of them.

WineVomit

Gordon ashworth is still going/dominating. Mostly under his own name and nothing harsh like Oscillating Innards. Nolan of Kakerlak moved here a while back and is still putting out material and plays shows once in a while. Okha was playing shows a bit a year or two ago. Not sure what's going on with that project...

Redneck is the only harsh noise project that plays regularly.

WineVomit

Oh, and of course Menche.

xdementia

Lavas Magmas was a Portland based ambient/industrial act that was really fucking good. Eric from Sleeping With The Earth just played Vancouver Noise Fest - along with Gordon Ashworth - and he is from Portland, OR but hasn't released anything in a long time.

I toured with a Portland-based band called Telluris last summer who were really great ritual ambient noise stuff - I believe they are still active.

Levi Berner who does New Forest used to live there along with his girlfriend Nicole who has a power electronics project - they both recently moved to Seattle though.

As far as the DVD goes Josh Hydeman no longer does noise - he is a professional cave photographer now. That dude Soup Purse is still doing his thing and I believe running a DIY show space but last time I played it he was pretty wasted out of his mind and was very unhelpful in running things smoothly.

The Portland music scene in general seems very localized and stagnant even though there are a few really good artists located there.

Since I live in the Pacific Northwest I have a pretty good ear to the tracks in terms of noise stuff.

xdementia

2 things I forgot to mention is that Andrew Quitter of Regosphere used to live there but now lives about 2 hours south in Eugene.

Also, Jonathan Canady of Deathpile and Angel of Decay has recently relocated there with his wife and it appears he is playing a show soon as well.

bitewerksMTB

Jonathan & Suzie do electronic music about cats.

sbtdoh

@xdementia   thanks for the info. After hiding away so long I am thinking maybe in like 6 to 8 months maybe try to open a noise show.
I am also trying to go out. Went out Saturday. enjoyed all 5 folks. Very sparse, but that room sounded really good that noise. I've always hated the way it sound if your in a 'band' per se.
actually randomly met a few folks i've sent mail to before.
And was really left with the feeling 'I need to fucking learn how to meet people!!!
so I hope there is more in Portland that is rad. I would love to come out an support by staying to listen to sets and then trying to help the artist survive in any way possible
ya get it or ya don't
www.shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com    -rooted in dirge & spite- all cassette tape label and zine haus

Intothered

moving to portland in August, probably will meet some of you then
unseen force label & distro
+++
www.ufmailorder.com
www.unseenforcenoise.bandcamp.com

a_2_g_2

Does anybody know what happened to Josh Hydeman? I really liked his performance in the "People who Do Noise" doc, 1 or 2 cdr's I own, the few recorded live shows I've found online and his involvement with twodeadsluts onegoodfuck.
So does anybody know if he's still active ?   

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: a_2_g_2 on April 17, 2017, 07:03:58 PM
Does anybody know what happened to Josh Hydeman? I really liked his performance in the "People who Do Noise" doc, 1 or 2 cdr's I own, the few recorded live shows I've found online and his involvement with twodeadsluts onegoodfuck.
So does anybody know if he's still active ?   

Last thing I knew of is that he works for National Geographic according to his instagram page.

So yeah, he likes his job a bunch and would rather make "noise" in his room to himself. Nothing wrong with it, but thats what it looks like to me.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

BlackHole

I'm from Portland, so any members on this forum feel free to contact me. Interested in making more contacts in the area who are into this kind of music. I also play PE/Industrial and have a practice space and my own equipment, so also interesting in jamming and playing with other people.

Cdan

COST and Tetrad Veil are definitely both worth checking out for current stuff.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com