Violent Onsen Geisha

Started by 13, February 13, 2015, 05:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've (evidently) been power-injecting 90's Japanese Noise for the past few months, and was surprised to see how little there's been written about Violent Onsen Geisha. Even here at Special Interests. Excreting Music is to me one of the most disturbing albums I've heard from the genre. It's spiralling darkness beyond anything else I've witnessed at this point. Anyone else into the Noise of Nakahara Masaya?

acsenger

I'd love to check them out but am not sure what to buy as I know his music can be all over the place, and I don't want to accidentally buy a hip-hop album (I think I've read he's sampled hip-hop extensively) or something I might not like. I heard The Midnight Gambler CD 11+ years ago but I don't remember it. I'm looking forward to any recommendations anyone might have.

Quote from: acsenger on February 14, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
I'd love to check them out but am not sure what to buy as I know his music can be all over the place, and I don't want to accidentally buy a hip-hop album (I think I've read he's sampled hip-hop extensively) or something I might not like. I heard The Midnight Gambler CD 11+ years ago but I don't remember it. I'm looking forward to any recommendations anyone might have.

True. I know that you're a fan of 90's Merzbow and in that case I'd recommend you to start with Excreting Music. You can hear it in it's full length here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEa68SvUovU

acsenger

Quote from: 13 on February 14, 2015, 12:42:24 PM
True. I know that you're a fan of 90's Merzbow and in that case I'd recommend you to start with Excreting Music. You can hear it in it's full length here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEa68SvUovU

Thanks! I'll listen to it shortly.

Hope you'll like it.

Quote from: Henrik III on February 14, 2015, 02:57:53 AM
Nice recent Nakahara interview:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/masaya-nakahara-interview

A long due critique of the misunderstood and stereotypical portrayal Japanese artists often have to endure. Japan is so much more than it's manga-crazed pop culture.

Bloated Slutbag

Excrete Music has always been my favorite VOG. Excrete, along with Maso's  Shinsen Na Clitoris, and Gero's Tokyo Anal Dynamite, would be my introduction to "Japanese Noise" – which, as you can imagine, made quite an impression on then-16-year-old me. (Merzbow I was familiar with, but had to that point associated with the already well-established field of "industrial noise". Which is, still, where he correctly belongs, in my view.) I wouldn't call Excrete disturbing so much as surreal; very odd, and (then) very unique, when taken together with the total package of the artwork, project name, up to and including the statement on the reverse: "Compiled from various unreleased tapes intended for release, including work done after their (death)", with copyright reserved for My Fiance's Life Work. (The notion that some poor grieving girl would release this in loving memory of her late betrothed was downright bittersweet, all the more hilarious of course when the truth would later come out.) That surreal atmosphere is part of what would elevate VOG above the mentioned peers; similar to how Nurse With Would would be elevated, in my brain, above, say, Illusion Of Safety (two artists I was listening to most frequently at the time I came across "that crazy Japanese shit"). But atmosphere alone is insufficient in elevating a recording project. What separates Excrete from Shinsen and Tokyo Anal is the apparent care and concern that went into the arrangement proper. However raw and punishing the sound, it is also quite well-composed, the hour-long disc flowing through a sparsely humored series of properly harsh episodes to achieve a very sound compositional whole. (This is something, because Shinsen Na Clitoris still ranks among my favored Maso. A lot of that essential rawness was lost when Maso cleaned up his act in preparation for entry to the hallowed chambers of Alchemy, but I digress...)

For anyone interested in more Excrete-like VOG – that is to say, more brutally puritannical VOG – the obvious recommendation would be the Violent Onsen Geisha s/t 3xcd reissue on Bloody Butterfly, which collects material from three early tapes. Personal favorite is the disc containing reissue of Cry Baby Killer, solely for the inclusion of "Hey! Bo Didley"- after Excrete Music, the second-ever thing I heard from VOG (via the RRRecords v/a Noise & Junk Omnibus) and imo a perfect encapsulation of the project strengths: starting with very heavy, live-sounding, harsh ambient power electronics, vaguely reminiscent of the live track from Incapacitants' Feedback Of NMS, the song mutates into total piss-take on what I'd assume to be a Bo Didley number, substituting straight feedback for guitars and offering distorted vocalizations-cum-screaming over a quite rockin' beat. "Anal Darth Vader!" makes a very obvious connection- and no less hilarious because so true – to death metal. And tracks like "Weasels Ripped My Ass" and "Toilet Torture Machine" speak for themselves with an authority as unhinged and indecorous as plainly harsh.

It must be said that, while I'm a very big fan of the existence of Violent Onsen Geisha, it is a rare occasion that the noisehead needs its VOG fix. For the reasons often given: plenty of miss to wade through in search of hit. Black Lovers: Early Lost Tapes 1988 would be the quintessential case-in -point. A single, hour-long, taking of the piss, forcing the listener to suffer through every indelicate morsel of un-tastefulness Nakahara would care to sandwich in between all the otherwise quite palatable intervals. Black Lovers is a sloppy mess, but stands as one of the better pissings I've heard from the project, largely owing to the, again, quintessential rawness that so defines a certain stream of Japan-originating noise.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

acsenger

I listened to Excrete Music on Youtube and while the noise was decent, I didn't like the weird interludes inbetween (in fact, they somewhat ruined my focus on the noise parts too). I'm sure the weirdness associated with VOG has its appeal, but it didn't work for me with this album. Maybe a second listen is in order.

Bloated Slutbag

I think it's safe to say that, with VOG, to "focus on the noise parts" (or any other parts, in isolation) will not a satisfactory listening experience make- unless as a listener you enjoy the notion that your tastes are being shat on. "Weird interludes" are hardly the thing to "ruin" one's focus- they are the damn focus, assuming the word "focus" may even apply. This is clearly brought home in the decision to put "Hey! Bo Didley!" on the earlier-mentioned RRRecords comp. VOG demonstrates that they are more than capable of bringing some very well-produced noise- but that they do not necessarily choose to bring just that.

"Hey! Bo Didley!" is the second-ever VOG thing I encountered, but the third was a piece of karaoke hip-hop entitled "Fuck Off RRRecords, Bye Bye Noise Music" (on the seminal Come Again II comp) to be followed shortly by the utter piss-take of "Otis". There would at this point be a good ten-year gap before I would again be tempted to seek out the work of Violent Onsen Geisha. (I exaggerate slightly for dramatic effect. Mention ought to be made of the split with Masonna, in which Maso comes off as project with a few good ideas but lacking the ability to execute fully- and VOG the clear winner.)

Perhaps Excrete is a bit of an exception, in that it could – almost – be taken for a serious piece of straight up noise. The weirdness is certainly kept to a comparative minimum, and could hardly be said to make or break the work. Still, from the slow, rather stylized build-up through to the unutterably retardo denouement it's also clear none of this is "random". This is a composition. A composition perhaps more than deserving of the title "Excrete Music", but a composition nonetheless.

You'll have to excuse me, I think I'm overdue for a hot, steaming, composition.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag