GEAR SUGGESTION THREAD

Started by birthdeath, February 06, 2015, 03:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birthdeath

I was hoping to make like a mega-thread for anyone with questions about what gear they should get or anyone who has questions about a specific piece of gear. Or anyone who would like to suggest a piece of gear to everyone.

I haven't been involved with noise/industrial for very long(not even three months), but I've got some stuff to suggest.
-Get/build a ring mod. I just bought the PCB from Sirkut and bought the the rest separately. My suggestion is to put a sine wave generator or guitar tuner in it and mush it together with your voice(can be cheesy but if you already run your voice through a lotta distortion and pitch shift and octave,it basically becomes an instrument), white noise generator, radio,any tone generator really. My synth(Volca Keys) doesn't sound to cool through it though.
-Also, an idea for a noise/shaker-box-thing: Get a can or any metal container or boxa spring from an echo mic or really any spring thats not hard,screws,glass,trash,w/e, a tiny massager thing or just take the case off. 1.Glue contact mics to both sides of the spring.2Glue it across the middle of the container.3. get like a 3-4 inch piece of a pen and anything you can push down on and glue it to the button on the massager. 4. put a hole the same size as the pen through the top of the container and the pen massager thing in(i suggest soldering or lots of hot and super glue for this)5.throw a buncha screws and shit in there.6.press the buttion shake it w/e, run it through lots of effects if you take the screws out and run it through reverb/delay its almost kinda droney
- To anyone who wants to make death industrial, I would suggest that you utilize harsh vocals(mic ran through a little distortion,pitch shifter,maybe some octave or flanger)Even fuck it up so much that you can't even tell what you're saying/ that you're human. If you want to spread a message lyrically,just use dry vocals after you record it. It's just a good way to add harshness if your playing minimal,atmospheric,maybe even boring when by themselves synth bits.

I'd also like to suggest some stuff:
-A distortion or octave thats really good at making stuff screech really painfully
-Reverb/delay/any pedal/effects unit thats good for making haunting,cavernous,murky,ya know sounds(already pretty much settled on buying the alesis microverb 4 and some other stuff, but if it's a piece of shit for doing death industrial please tell me or suggest anything else thats good)
-Any other piece of gear that's good for making death industrial,dark ambient,PE, etc(i know anything that makes sound is good for noise but, considering the kinda sounds i want)

Euro Trash Bazooka

My suggestion is:

Invest in ONE piece of quality gear instead of way too many shitty ones, get a 4-tracker, maybe a reverb and a distortion pedal, and then you're set. Money and gear can't replace creativity and inspiration. The gear doesn't make the musician. Sometimes it can help but 9 times out of 10, it's not how it works.

Also, don't forget most of the 80's stuff we consider as classic has been recorded with very minimal set-ups and in very simple and primitive ways (ie: on 2 tracks only, etc...)
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

birthdeath

Also, don't forget most of the 80's stuff we consider as classic has been recorded with very minimal set-ups and in very simple and primitive ways (ie: on 2 tracks only, etc...)
[/quote]
wish i could get a broken wasp !!

Leatherface

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on February 06, 2015, 05:52:02 PM
My suggestion is:

Invest in ONE piece of quality gear instead of way too many shitty ones

F_c_O

Quote from: Leatherface on February 07, 2015, 06:08:12 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on February 06, 2015, 05:52:02 PM
My suggestion is:

Invest in ONE piece of quality gear instead of way too many shitty ones
This. Invest in one piece of quality gear and learn how to use it. After that you can think of getting something else/something more.

birthdeath

My suggestion is:

Invest in ONE piece of quality gear instead of way too many shitty ones[/quote]
[/quote]This. Invest in one piece of quality gear and learn how to use it. After that you can think of getting something else/something more.
[/quote]
After experimenting with my cheap Zoom multi-fx, I've decided that higher qualities of a phaser,reverb,pitch shifter,and delay are some effects I need. The Alesis Microverb 4, which I am thinking about getting when I have more money, has several reverb and delay effects. And also a pitch shifter and phaser, but I'm assuming those aren't as good. So I would either like one rackmount that specializes in reverb. And another that specializes in modulation effects like phaser,pitch shifter and flanger. Or one that has very high qualities of both of those effects. And obviously I need a good distortion(only gotta death metal which isnt really my favorite thing). I've been reading on that gearbug website and there's like 4 or 5 pedals i really like,but I dont think it would be the best idea to have so many pedals.

I'm not looking for starting gear, I'm looking out for stuff I should get when I have the money to improve the gear I have, which, so far, consists of a volca keys,zoom multi fx,death metal, , homemade ring mod, guitar tuner, and behringer tremolo.

Cementimental

QuoteI dont think it would be the best idea to have so many pedals
:D good luck with that, it's a good idea to have as many as possible plus anyway buying them is an incurable addiction :)

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: birthdeath on February 08, 2015, 02:31:32 AM

I'm not looking for starting gear, I'm looking out for stuff I should get when I have the money to improve the gear I have, which, so far, consists of a volca keys,zoom multi fx,death metal, , homemade ring mod, guitar tuner, and behringer tremolo.

I'm not talking about starting gear. And you already have plenty of stuff to work with!

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

birthdeath

Yeah I am doing fine with this set up. It's not too restricting. Just, the volca keys is a little hard to work with as you may imagine(no patching possibilities,pretty limited) and I could definitely improve my effects.I don't even use them most of the time because even after endless knob fiddling I still don't get the results I want;been mainly adding them on audacity,reaper, or wavosaur, and,in the future, I'm looking to transfer to a completely analog set up with a decent four track and some better effects so I don't gotta use plug-ins. I'm definitely not having a problem making material, shit is always popping up when I just think about various things and go at it on my synth and mic. But,with this set-up, I'll never get exactly(or very close to) the sounds I want,even with lots of experimentation, my set-up is just a little limited. No problem, I'm saving up for shit.

Also, I really didn't want to make this thread all about me. I was hoping there was others on this board who had questions concerning gear that other people or even I could help with, as well as clear up some of my concerns

birthdeath

Quote from: Cementimental on February 08, 2015, 05:20:36 PM

:D good luck with that, it's a good idea to have as many as possible plus anyway buying them is an incurable addiction :)
Yeah, I can see, you have a fucking ton of pedals!! I'm not gonna be working with lots of feedback loops or anything of that sort, so I thought it would just be good to have only a reverb,phaser,pitch shifter,distortion, and maybe delay. Could be all in one unit or separate, whichever would be better. And,I'm researching, just so many different reviews for so many different kinds of reverbs,flangers,delays,distortions on gearbug, very few rack reviews. And I couldn't see myself getting good results out of running my synth through a chain of pedals. I did that the other day with the ones I have, pretty much sounded like a feedback loop with everything cranked up.