Quotes and citations that caught your attention

Started by 13, December 26, 2014, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I often find myself stumbling over good quotes only to forget about them again. A shame really and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So here's an attempt to redeem the problem. I'll start out with one I found really interesting:

Quote"A dictionary begins when it no longer gives the meaning of words, but their tasks. Thus formless is not only an adjective having a given meaning, but a term that serves to bring things down in the world, generally requiring that each thing have its form. What it designates has no rights in any sense and gets itself squashed everywhere, like a spider or an earthworm. In fact, for academic men to be happy, the universe would have to take shape. All of philosophy has no other goal: it is a matter of giving a frock coat to what is, a mathematical frock coat. On the other hand, affirming that the universe resembles nothing and is only formless amounts to saying that the universe is something like a spider or spit." - Georges Bataille: "L'informe" ("Formless") 1929

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 27, 2014, 10:41:20 AM
Hate to tell you, but - http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=64.0

Excellent! No need to start a new one then. Sorry about that. Hope the Mod(s) can delete this thread then.