Transgressive art/imagery in "non-electronic" genres

Started by 13, December 23, 2014, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please correct me if this topic is totally out of line (I understand that most of the music discussed here is directly related to Noise, Industrial, PE etc.), but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about transgressive art/imagery in non-electronic genres.

I'm currently revisiting a lot of old Goregrind/Grindcore which all contains elements of Post-punk and experimental music. I remember Carcass being one of the first widely distributed bands to display pictures of real human corpses on the sleeve of their records in full color. A morbid sight for a teenage boy growing up in a pre-internet world. Another band that immediately came to mind was Catasexual Urge Motivation. A Japanese "Cyber-Grind-Gore" band soaked in Industrial overtones. It's members (two brothers) even had a long-lived Noise project by the name of Sadistic Lingam Cult. Their debut "The Encyclopedia Of Serial Murders" is an eccentric nightmare of schizo-speed drum-machines, morbid whispering and guitars distorted to the point of pure noise. Some of it even has a mid-90's Merzbow edge to it (think Metalvelodrome and Venereology). Very interesting stuff for those who can enjoy this type of music.

Anyway, this thread isn't only meant to be focused on Grind/Metal, so please share whatever comes to mind!    

Ps. Hope I haven't broken any rules. If so then just delete this thread.

GEWALTMONOPOL

No need to stray from the mainstream to find naughty stuff. I'm sure most here know that Scorpions were once a good band with some cracking album covers. This one caused upset a few years ago. Can't remember if it was censored in the end or not.

Grace Jones was just awesome all over.

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Nil By Mouth

Leewar

I remember a death metal band (possibly german) who did some photos in a mortuary with real corpses for their album, cant think of the name at the moment.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Continuing down the slipery slope of mainstream culture we have the filth king of France, Serge Gainsbourg, leaching on a bed with his then 13 year old daughter. The lady I was seeing earlier this year asked me to play something shocking to her. While all the usual stuff didn't impress her much she took grave offence to this. And she was right. Serge was a disgusting old French pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Nil By Mouth

I don't think that this cover can be considered transgressive but I like to talk about. It's a cover of an old album of Franco Califano, in a way a straight working class singer from Rome. What's the transgression of the picture? Well, the blonde child is the son of the famous Milanese gangster Francis Turatello! Very brave choice for the 1976..

TS

Quote from: Leewar on December 25, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
I remember a death metal band (possibly german) who did some photos in a mortuary with real corpses for their album, cant think of the name at the moment.

Pseudogod?
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Pseudogod are from Perm, Russia.

Same picture in color:

Leewar

Nearly, though it was infact Exhumator. (after a mornings searching!)

Jaakko V.

Those working with human remains on a routine basis must see this kind of corpse-tourism in a rather amusing light.

A bit like professional soldiers looking at long-haired war-metallers, posing with belts of emptied bullet shells, deactivated grenades, and decorative swords. Uu...extreme.

Not that it wouldn't be exciting to experience though, but something which not so long ago used to be a completely normal experience – the presence of dead people – is nowadays considered as shocking and transgressive. Well, this is a sanitized and sterile age, detached from most organic processes anyway... So I guess it's good to flash people a bit of corpse every once in a while.

ANDROPHILIA

a classicof italian occult metal.
A real corpse in the cover of "all the witches dance" cover
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

holy ghost

^ That Mortuary Drape LP was the first thing I thought of. So much more "real" than another fucking Chris Moyen picture of the devil on a chariot being driven by jesus or a crusty punk record with pictures from WWII.

I always found the Pessimiser Records/Despise You graphics to be so unsettling. It depicted this unsettling reality that most people barely acknowledges or don't want to believe exists but is simmering in close proximity. I never knew where these pictures came from but they always bummed me out as a teenager and now that I work in mental health and very closely with a withdrawal management clinic it bums me out even more.

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Niko

www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

Nil By Mouth

Quote from: Niko on December 27, 2014, 05:43:57 AM

Different covers comes for this record. One was this

Combined with this back cover

Result is really transgressive!