"A phenomenology of transgression in industrial music" lecture

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, November 12, 2014, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coughinghorse

Oh, this is indeed an interesting lecture but something about it seems a little off in terms of his understanding of the industrial/noise continuum. Frankly, I find him worrying about the adolescence of noise to be a bore. Sure, I get that inherent in many, many types of music that emerges out of and in tandem with punk and rock n' roll music has a certain, um, primitive nature and obsession with the physical but I don't really believe that it is adolescent if it is being done well. In fact, I find the worst noise to be adolescent. I really think that dismisses the intellectual power of, say, Whitehouse and Throbbong Gristle, let alone the multitude of smaller acts and unknown cassette artists from the period, as a truly disruptive subversive force however, whose navigating of transgressive ideas and methods needs to evaluated as something greatly misunderstood by serious music writers. I'm actually A big fan of Keenan, however problematic his serious work can sometimes be. His Volcanic Tongue store is a goldmind of private press oddity if that is your thing. He seems to be taking a bite too large in dealing with a phenomenology of transgression or just doesn't fully understand it, which is a shame as he has likely heard a great deal of what everyone on this board or invested in harsh noise/power electronics is into.