PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morbid_dyspepsia

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 10, 2022, 01:05:15 AM
V/A - Psychomania C30 (Der Dunker)

Our curator Zyklon SS phases back in to see our way out with a synth-heavy pulsing attack. Instead of letting you out graciously, he kicks your ass back out the door. It's over before it's begun and you flip the tape back over.

Heard Active Abuse's rip on YouTube a few months back... the Z-SS track at the end is easily the best. Genocide Organ-esque sinister synth nice finish to the comp.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on December 10, 2022, 03:18:44 AM
Höh is as primitive as it can get. His setup is pretty much non-existent and I sent him a sound interface with a homemade written guide on how to use it last year, but I think it is a lost cause (for the best, though.)

Yeah, tread lightly there. Would hate to ruin the world's best sound project.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Commander15

LHD - Opaque cd (Pure)

37 minutes of relentless and classic Troniks-style harsh noise bliss. Metallic, resonant shards of feedback ripping through wet electric blankets. Not too much of those certain "bubble bath" kind of comforting bass-y walls, which is a totally good thing. Sudden oscillations, lots of those tasty feedback candies and rich, organic overall sound makes this an instantly pleasant experience. Last track breaks from the mold with hollow and stuttering wall of noise, buried screams, broken tones and in-fighting delay(?) oscillations. Like listening to dying mecha slowly disintegrating in the middle of firefight. Totally my kind of harsh noise.

Commander15

Treriksröset - Kristen musik från Rågsved tape (Harbinger 2019)

My copy is an tape dub from TC. Not sure if it is dubbed straight from the master or from the LP. Nevertheless the dub quality is super good. Hats off to mr. Carlsson.

Treriksröset never ceases to amaze me. It honestly amazes me to the point that i consider myself to be obsessed with everything related to TRR. There is certain sense of absolute control and utmost quality in mr. Carlssons main body of work.

KMFS album is no exception. Sweaty and bleak mass of living feedback and electric noise. It's feels like witnessing the eternal struggle between arty qualities and caveman-like brutality in mono. First track "Filantropen (irate, peeved)" is nice yet bit reserved epiloque to the monolithic second track "I taksamhet". What an unnerving and wonderful trip to the center of harsh noise maelstorm. There are some profoundly unsettling aspects in the TRR's sound that stirs up images of gray nordic suburbs and violence hidden beneath the surface level.

Title track is another monolithic slab of artisan harsh noise. Thick bassy rumble leads the track until the layers start to appear. Whirlwind of feedback, junk metal bashing, contact mic abuse, waves of white noise - you name it. But it doesn't sound cluttered despite the amount of layers. It's hypnotic, it's beautiful and there's some tasty flanger action in it. Loop action at the end of the track is awesome and fitting.

FreakAnimalFinland

OVMN / KADEF split C-90.
1996 harsh noise tape, USA + Ger.
VHS box with color graphics + multiple A4 size art prints. Unabomber and related stuff for Macro. Abstract art etc for Kadef.
It is long enough that could be two separate full albums. Both have differen type of artwork and also sound. OVMN is brilliant, crunchy harsh noise, all-on-red saturated stuff, but "compositionally" it could have been Macronympha and would be flawlessly what you think Macronympha to be. Same style slowly changing slabs of different types of harsh noise.
KADEF is one of those projects you don't hear anyone talk about, but I tend to name-drop it once in a while. German noise, often in weird packaging, ultra limited, handmade, very own style that would probably appeal now to guys who seek some less efx driven, less edited, more tape-deck home recording noise type of thing.

PBK "Life-Sense Revoked" CD
I like the most his 80's stuff, but this early 90's CD is really good one too. Some sources from AMK. Jarboe guests in couple songs doing vocals. These two things are oddity in mix. Especially Jarboe. You got so abstract sound manipulations, at the time quite hi-tech sampler work etc, and then all the sudden pieces of atmospheric music & singing, and back to noise. And when I say noise, it does get into loudness and hardness legit real deal noise. Some sounds are really nasty and damaging, in most positive meaning.

BOB MARINELLI "Confused & Isolated" tape
self released
When Hospital prod annouced doing Bob Marinelli CD,  I was quite surprised. Mostly because I assume not that many remembered or even know who is Bob Marinelli, and I doubt before that CD happened, there was anyone saying "what we need in noise scene of 2022, is some Bob Marinelli reissues!".
When CD happened, I don't known if situation really changed, but what this guy did, was the kind of real deal 90's noise. Not the 90's noise most think 90's were, but the reality of getting tape and having no idea what there might be coming when you push the play. Occasionally some Deadline harsh noise or MSNP crunch, but besides that, there was so much what was the 90's.
I just finished listening this, what I assume is very first Marinelli tape. This was artists own version before Weird Vision label did the "label edition". That one is hard to get, but who knows how many of these cloth bag + couple folded inserts and artist signed tapes existed before that. Probably not many!
A-side has a lot of stuff that reminds of what Hospital CD was about. Makes me kind of think Monde Bruits, with fast paced electronic assault. Kind of same sound pallette, but always moving. It has other types of stuff too. B-side has moments when it makes me think Aube. It is not REALLY like that, but something about efx processed sound loops manually adjusted into noisy, but never TOTALLY harsh noise. It is all noise. But just not the crunchy distortion pedal oriented type.
Really good sounding chrome C-40, crispy and neat after all these years.

BAD SECTOR "Pressurized Music" tape
Original edition 1997, 3rd release, 2nd tape I guess!
I am not big fan of the beat oriented later stuff. Nor I am Bad Sector expert who could name when his work became like that, but these mid-late 90's works are great, while some of later stuff and withnessing him live, I could not handle the .... Beat shit haha.
He was advanced, hi-tech, but also very hands on -type approach to sounds in the 90s. Curiously Ampos cd issued multiple times, but this tape has only 2 tape editions.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

BLACK LEATHER JESUS "Butcher!" tape
If someone thinking of putting out more BLJ reissues, why not Butcher tape! Edition of 50 came loooong ago on BWCD label, and it is good.
It is hour long, lots of samples, a bit of structure in it, but also crushing noise. It had the industrial vibe on it.
In latest WCN podcast finn Nuori Veri was asked about industrial, and he quicky declined. I think this is one of best element of genre. Nobody with some sense wants that baggage, and very few of originator even like to be branded with it... but stuff like this particular BLJ, like it or not, it feels like industrial noise. Not free noizu, not improv, not university art, not punk noise, ... it could be like early SPK with more balls, eh eh... crushing metal sounds, crossover to weird avantgarde art sculpture packaging etc. Surely not industrial music anymore, but there is a lot what leans to such elements. Artist *not* feeling comfortable branded as industrial... something .. is perhaps most expected reaction of all, but all this factory esque massive metal bounding, trangressive samples, razor sharp noise attacks, etc I know what lineage I associate it with...

LABORATORIO ASETTICO "esplorzioni" tape
This one thing I can't find any info about it, exept what you see on cover. LABORATORIO ASETTICO, about one hour tape according to info, recorded during two hours in february 2000 at home. What we have here is nasty simple and rugged "power electronics", mainly consisting of radio noise. Its good, though! Some vocals here and there, some structure/layering, but keeping it really basic core. You could drop names like early Consumer Electronics and John Duncan, but perhaps more accurate would be throwing them along russian radio-noise projects like YAO 91404 D. Would be curious to hear if any Italians know this project?

DEAD BODY LOVE "Erase the body" tape

Loud!
Dead Body Love surely is know well. This tape is damn good. Certainly re-issue worthy stuff, full of crunchy and well made noise, that also has some vocals, perhaps exceptionally fierce high pitched feedback abuse for DBL, but also plenty of the crunchy harsh loops, wall-ish rumbling noise, but never "HNW". Just heavy as fuck noise. After several DBL releases, one does think how many reissues would be needed, but there really is diversity in tapes, and they are so damn good, that now feel better than ever. So why not..

-NRRRRK-

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on December 10, 2022, 03:18:44 AM
... I sent him a sound interface with a homemade written guide on how to use it last year, but I think it is a lost cause (for the best, though.)

That is so awesome. Thanks for the info.

ritualabuser

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 12, 2022, 09:24:52 AM
BLACK LEATHER JESUS "Butcher!" tape
If someone thinking of putting out more BLJ reissues, why not Butcher tape! Edition of 50 came loooong ago on BWCD label, and it is good.
It is hour long, lots of samples, a bit of structure in it, but also crushing noise. It had the industrial vibe on it.
In latest WCN podcast finn Nuori Veri was asked about industrial, and he quicky declined. I think this is one of best element of genre. Nobody with some sense wants that baggage, and very few of originator even like to be branded with it... but stuff like this particular BLJ, like it or not, it feels like industrial noise. Not free noizu, not improv, not university art, not punk noise, ... it could be like early SPK with more balls, eh eh... crushing metal sounds, crossover to weird avantgarde art sculpture packaging etc. Surely not industrial music anymore, but there is a lot what leans to such elements. Artist *not* feeling comfortable branded as industrial... something .. is perhaps most expected reaction of all, but all this factory esque massive metal bounding, trangressive samples, razor sharp noise attacks, etc I know what lineage I associate it with...

LABORATORIO ASETTICO "esplorzioni" tape
This one thing I can't find any info about it, exept what you see on cover. LABORATORIO ASETTICO, about one hour tape according to info, recorded during two hours in february 2000 at home. What we have here is nasty simple and rugged "power electronics", mainly consisting of radio noise. Its good, though! Some vocals here and there, some structure/layering, but keeping it really basic core. You could drop names like early Consumer Electronics and John Duncan, but perhaps more accurate would be throwing them along russian radio-noise projects like YAO 91404 D. Would be curious to hear if any Italians know this project?

DEAD BODY LOVE "Erase the body" tape

Loud!
Dead Body Love surely is know well. This tape is damn good. Certainly re-issue worthy stuff, full of crunchy and well made noise, that also has some vocals, perhaps exceptionally fierce high pitched feedback abuse for DBL, but also plenty of the crunchy harsh loops, wall-ish rumbling noise, but never "HNW". Just heavy as fuck noise. After several DBL releases, one does think how many reissues would be needed, but there really is diversity in tapes, and they are so damn good, that now feel better than ever. So why not..

Completely tangential, but glad that see someone else use the term "punk noise". We may understand it differently, but for me, it's immediately what comes to mind to describe stuff like The Grey Wolves and Survival Unit.

Baglady

OCHU – Lähmung Des Wartens 12" (Verlautbarung)
The opening feverish grinding of small rocks soon summons the wreck of some sunken ship, and little by little, it comes alive in sound. Thumping, hammering, swaying, grinding, a bent and bowed song of a rusty old hull. Truly evocative, and also impressive in its sound design – it really does feel like a slow climb into some salt-ridden cathedral of a wreck. The descent continues on the flipside, the sense of space narrowing as the sounds become more and more intrusive and violent – an abundance of jawdroppingly rich acoustic noise here – before it all ends in a slow maelstrom of buzz and hiss.
   It's an initially more restrained Ochu than one is used to, and I don't think he's ever managed to convey a sense of physical space as well as he does here. I'm listening to The New Blockaders' 2CD TNB Est Mort! (Tesco, 1995) as I'm writing now, and there's definitely a likeness in the restless ghostly spacious and slightly sickening creaking, but it doesn't take you places quite the way Ochu does on Lähmung.... Another thing that stands out is the little use of electric sounds (which is a route he's been going for quite some time now, but it still struck me). The label text says this 12" continues the themes surrounding Unproduktiw (2018), and while I'm obviously not going to debate that, the look, sound and general air of Lähmung Des Wartens is to me first and foremost evoking, well, our maritime past, with it's exploits, toil and danger in a haunting way. Brilliant record. There is a small edition tape version out there, but it's thankfully sold out – this is the version you want, trust me.

FreakAnimalFinland

CIRCLE OF SHIT "Almost there now" CD
Aussaat
I suppose I have almost always said COS is getting better and better... and I can repeat this mantra again. This CD is, by far, best thing I have ever heard from COS. Instantly multiple spins. Instead of plain noise, it has quite strong industrial vibe. Percussive elements, darker and better "production" than some of the tinny crackling sounds of past. There is good amount of sheer noise, there are some odd decisions like using pitch effect in few moments that border the WFT -atmosphere. This is all positive, that he had the skill and taste to go into really CD album worthy material, but no desire to play it safe, but throw in something that will bring unexpected things into it.

HEYDRICH "Entschlossenheit" CD
EE prod
After couple tapes, notably special packaged on Nil By Mouth, I know bunch of people got curious about new ultra primitive German power electronics / noise artist. What they didn't probably expect, like I didn't either, that suddenly out of the blue, debut full length CD comes on Finnish RAC label! Quite odd move indeed. Label mostly known for Mistreat, White Minority, Genocide Wolves, Pylvanainen and such acts. Couple martial industrial titles for sure, but this level of radio-noise-broken-cable-rattle -esque utter damage with buried vocals and such. It ain't something you would expect classic RAC audience to be into, haha. And do noise guys find where to get it. Perhaps Finland is anomaly here, though. So some noise dealers actually do carry it, so you don't have to try figure out how and where to find Europa Erwache label.
It is hard to really explain in what ways this is different from big part of contemporary power electronics. Its almost as if CAPERS or HÖH would try to do power electronics that leans to earliest Ramleh, Victor/im, Riot era John Duncan, or such, but none of these dropped names really sound what Heydrich is. Just on of the no-tech acts that appeals to me for being such a simple and to-the-point, that it becomes unique in this time and place.

SCATMOTHER & PISSOIR ROUGE "Toxic Masculinity" CD
Filth monument
Sheer amount of stuff makes it difficult for anyone to really be completist anymore. These both artists I gladly distribute, but I do not have all of their stuff in my own shelves, nor have even heard it all. Based on what I have heard, there has always been moment of being on border of nicely outrageous and somewhat ready-chewed filth. This CD is pretty good and some moments absolutely strong and loud noise assaults, some tracks good vocal efx, some have a bit feeling of noise made out of extreme metal aesthetics or something what is so current moment. Like title of collaboration itself. That said, when you read the lyrics of songs like "Heroic Cumshed", they have way less feeling of being brutal, dark, objectionable. More like different angle to sleaze, that has been in fine tradition of noise all the time. For me feels more like Smell & Quim, Masonna or should I rather name drop Hanatarashi! If you compare song titles and such of Toxeic Masculinity, they certainly have vibes of Hanatarashi classics like Apartheidfunclub, Pisshole Surfers, Gag Nuts Gum, and so on...  So... filthy fun? Some sort of thing like that. This CD easily goes into my own shelves.

NerveGas

A.x.D.x.F.x.O.x.A - S/T CS

Jesus Christ. I don't think there was a single moment of listening to this that the meters on my tape deck were not fully in the red. White hot Americanoise collaboration between the mighty Deadly Orifice and A Fail Association. Absolutely unrelenting crusher of a tape. Forty-one minutes of unedited, live blasting with no overdubs. Wouldn't change a thing about this one.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

FreakAnimalFinland

In SI forum best of 2022 there was mentioned people have ignored the new Puce Mary stuff due format fetish. Yeah, probably, but maybe one day I do get the tapes, and not feeling like listening files just yet.... I just got this one missing:
Puce Mary/ Rodget Stella collaboration tape
Mutter Wild

Its 2015, and sound neat now. Far less hi-tech, more relaxed. Downside is of course less of advanced and purely PM own approach, but I like this a lot. Don't mind waiting 7 years to get something, and maybe one day the missing PM tapes will be found. This was 150sek, that's 15 euro price tag at record store in Stockholm.

And talking of Sweden, new label, new tape:
FOLKSTORM / BIRTHDEATH split tape
Birthdeath Party 001
Folkstorm of course is nothing new. His stuff here is occasionally pretty noisy, occasionally very beat driven, but hard and oppressive. Some really good vocals too. At this point, you can probably just say "for fans of Nordvargr" and no other names need to be mentioned?
Birthdeath on b-side is noisier. It sounds quite close to what you could think. Not Whitehouse birthdeath level, but genre is right there at synth/vocals/samples, bleak industrial-noise type of thing. More in your face than minimal death industrial stuff, but not all the way total harsh punishment. Will have to see further material from project to see what angle they will be taking next. Good genre noise here so far! Like transparancy inserts says True Swedish Industrial

BRUME "Emergence" 2xCD
Well, turns out this Brume ain't what Brume is best for. First disc is 70+ min track of minimal sound via modular processing. Disc two is more varied and interesting sounds processed with modular. Not bad for what they are, but after 2+ hours of someone who was amazing what he did, it makes me thing how its possible to end up doing the same generic zip zap bsbsbs zup! -things that we know from guys who first try that type of gear?  Its more like test drive of gear than anything compositionally amazing. Fans of that kind of electronics sounds probably like it. I like disc 2 where sound sources are more interesting.

RUNZELSTURN & GURGELSTOCK "Morx & Kotschlag" CD
Selektion
Dogs, horns, according, silly human voices, hits, slaps, yelps, abrupt cuts, utmost sonic slapstick show, which is less fun, more bizarre ordeal. In other words, good stuff! Seems like I have overpaid when I bought it many years ago. Japanese price tag of 2800jpy. Gut feeling says not bad price for 1994 CD, special edition of Selektion. But perhaps audio is a bit too challenging for many , so you can still grab this from discogs for less than price of new cd.

HAARE "Madon Evankeliumi " CD
At war with false noise
or should I say... HAAPE! Haha... Little photoshop magick happened by label and they managed to delete one line from logo making R look like P. This copy, like all that arrived to finland, was hand modified with pen by artist... At least part of pressing was sold "as is".
Its been long since I listened it. Surprisingly compact, like 32 minutes long charming drone-noise stuff in good old Haare tradition. I am quite sure this is considered to be album, but it lists into "misc" at discogs due short length?

Jeph Jerman "Four Drivers" CD
Impulsy Stetoskopy
sounds pretty much what description says: Upright piano harp driven by four battery-powered fans. Minimal drone, starts really tinny and simply and more frequencies start to appear around pretty much single monotone tone. Half an hour later first track has developed into waving / oscillating sound. 2nd track gets more tonality, more happening, but like expected album to continues in same slow shift of relatively monotone sound. Which is good, in this case!

CLOAMA / ABFALL split tape
Noiseweb
Most of Finnish noise in the 90's was not brutally harsh. Some of the 90's Cloama was. This rare split with Abfall (usa), Cloama side is really heavy and crunchy. You may think even Dead Body Love and harsh noise The Rita level of bassy harsh noise.
Abfall volume levels are vastly lower, and also music style is kind of minimal droning noise. Somewhere of later days Knurl metal object "drones" comes to mind. It has more variation and occasionally almost borders "industrial soundscapes" sort of stuff, but still makes me think of Knurl!

Those who were in noise scene back in 90's, and had internet access, may remember noiseweb . com! I recall it was the first noise website I found from public internet access. Just basic html code, links to other noise websites and some info. Hard to remember anymore, but quite likely from there jumped into MSBR online guest book.

Krigsverk

Been catching up listening to the recent arrivals from Old Europa Cafe as I am packing orders; here are some short impressions of the music that has been spinning here today.

Vigilantism - Masochist Living (OEC). A strange mix of loop based militant martial influences, machine rhythms and more almost melodic parts, getting some Arditi-vibes sometimes, sometimes soundtrack feelings. Gets a bit distorted and noisy things in the mix as well, very nice. First thing I hear from this project, will check out the earlier stuff for sure. 

K2 - Steel desert around Tokyo (OEC). Junky distorted noise in the classic K2 way, did not get me as excited as I was hoping though. Will give it some more spins though.

SPK -Live at the crypt (OEC). What to say? This shit never gets old. Stammheim Torturkammer for life!

Next up: Merzbow - Flesh metal orgasm.

morbid_dyspepsia

Rodger Stella / Leslie Keffer - Remixes Brine & Devastates (Action Claw Records, 2006)

Rodger and his ladies as usual, the true noise pimp daddy living the dream. Eerie consistency in the industrial-soundtrack realm, it could easily be the score to "Ghosts of The Civil Dead" or many other grim foggy films of the same caliber. A lengthy affair that gradually turns to something more cosmic with no legible rhythm but instead reoccurring messages hidden amongst ethereal soundscapes. Heavy synth within a bleak reality. Negative reflection. Sinister stillness. Cocaine, methadone and whiskey. The score to your existential horror.

#darkambient #deathindustrial #soundtrack #soundscapes #score #postmortem #horrorfilm #noise #trauma #ethereal #avantgarde

Commander15

Grunt - Installation Of Blood And Steel cd (Harsh Head Rituals 2005 / Industrial Recollections 2022)

Like high tension wire shoved into your brain through the eardrums. Pure live energy that is seeping through these tracks makes you want to demolish buildings with your bare fists. To me this is one of the key releases from the 2002- 2009 era of harsh noise in style of i.e Troniks / PacRec, HHR, Segerhuva etc.

Lots of textures but always interesting and moving to places. Rather physical sounding release compared to many in-line recordings of that era, which makes this stand out of the crowd. I feel that album title captures the overall feel of the album: flesh meets steel, will meets the matter, electronics meet physical manipulation of the soundsources. Truly outstanding album.