PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 24, 2022, 05:26:47 PM
most of what you would imagine is modular synth more than likely isn't and vice versa, haha.

I've always had the idea that complex modulations are easier done on the modular, but lately I've realized I can often reach similar, and sometimes better results with more a more "hands on" approach to conventional synths. They both have their place I think.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: TS on October 25, 2022, 05:28:39 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 24, 2022, 05:26:47 PM
most of what you would imagine is modular synth more than likely isn't and vice versa, haha.

I've always had the idea that complex modulations are easier done on the modular, but lately I've realized I can often reach similar, and sometimes better results with more a more "hands on" approach to conventional synths. They both have their place I think.

They absolutely do. I also think it's easier to go complex with a modular synth due to the fact there's no set architectures in how the signal flows through your synth  and you can potentially mess with everything in the signal path as long as you don't put outputs into other outputs, but ultimately, some hardware synths also offer some very complex programming possibilities or quirky architectures, which then allow for very complex or "different" outcomes as well.

The hardware synth I used here has a rather peculiar signal path, and I've used the modular in rather simple and traditional ways. I don't like eurorack for complex stuff, I love my Serge for that though.

And I apologise for derailing the thread.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Fistfuck Masonanie

Interracial Sex – Shower Head C47 (Fuck Marry Kill)
I was extremely lucky to come across a 2nd hand version of the special edition recently. Well worth the money. Vocals are unhinged. Metal work is recorded so well and the way it overlaps with the other elements is excellent. Three songs per side and they are more long-form, giving room to stretch and let the pieces develop. Sometimes more vocal focused, other times more feedback and metal abuse. Tape feels varied even though it's using a lot of the basic elements and building blocks.

Kartio - Klimaprofesis C60 (Satatuhatta | Mögähead)
Modular synth-focused project by Pentti who is also behind Umpio. While I'm usually not much for modular synth, this album has been on constant rotation. A lot of little details to the sounds and good dynamics and variation across the album. A nice album to listen to on a good pair of headphones. Also check out the first album Sähkömusiikki as well. Both tapes highly recommended.

Sitting in my listening pile is the new Misanthropic Agenda batch, The Rita Magazine CD reissue, and the Monde Bruits and Government Alpha boxsets... Need more time in the day.

Theodore

Energy Directed Inward C90: Late 90s compilation. 1-2 years ago i had it in my cart but never did the purchase, and it disappeared. Monday i found it as bonus in a package it arrived. Lot of known names in here, some unknowns too, others still going strong, others faded-out and although they deliver very fine noise are somehow overlooked [?] nowdays -which isnt bad from an economic aspect. Sometimes i wish people to loose their interest in noise so the only price they could unload their stuff is for pennies, for me to grab it, haha-. I wont say much other than this is a highly enjoyable tape -not classic ofcource, neither all great, but the overall quality make it better than its individual tracks and allow you to forgive 'inaccuracies' , in other words a good comp ! - , and if you see it for the normal price it was sold on Discogs dont think it twice, you probably wont be as lucky as i was. Bait ? One Dark Eye, TEF for sure. Backed up by Hermit, Tender Love, Audible XXY etc.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

NerveGas

Scald Hymn - You're Not Supposed To Be Alive CS

Creaking, creepy violin-esque sounds. Blown out low frequency charges that feel as if they are so hot they may fizzle out. The sound feels close and direct not airy or open. Crisp and right in front of your face. Sometimes the noise falls into brief loops only to devolve back into chaos. Solid.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

NerveGas

Anal Drill - Stimulating The Masochist CS

Crushing Ramirez noise. Not wallish or static. Occasional phaser sweeping and warbling laser beam feedback. Active and exciting. Plenty of range while still remaining heavy and punishing and possessing the perfect amount of analog tape crud sound. Some brief agonized vocal sounds in places even which are super welcome. Tasteful use of vocals in harsh noise? Never a problem for me if done correctly! Overall monster of a release. Classic!

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 25, 2022, 10:41:35 AM
Incapacitants - Feedback of N.M.S. -  is one of absolute favorites in their discography. It is the era I heard first, and that insane sound of multuple simultaneous high pitched feedback tones is something you rarely ever hear anyone doing.

That was probably the one for me. You say power electronics, I say hook your sorry carcass up to the grid and just mainline the shit.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

NerveGas

Prick Decay - Mud Sound For Car Stereos CD

Truly demented shit. Not goofy or totally funny although there are elements of twisted humor.  Just utterly unreasonable sounds on this one. Grotesque no-fi warped tape destruction, obnoxious and confounding samples, ticking clocks, milk, crunching static, disorienting and constant use of the stereo field. Like a disgusting broken TV constantly flipping through channels of filth. This does not let you rest for a moment and makes no fucking sense in the slightest.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: NerveGas on November 01, 2022, 12:07:11 AM
Prick Decay - Mud Sound For Car Stereos

Truly demented shit. Not goofy or totally funny although there are elements of twisted humor.  Just utterly unreasonable sounds on this one. Grotesque no-fi warped tape destruction, obnoxious and confounding samples, ticking clocks, milk, crunching static, disorienting and constant use of the stereo field. Like a disgusting broken TV constantly flipping through channels of filth. This does not let you rest for a moment and makes no fucking sense in the slightest.

Unreasonable- great descriptor!

Like Emil Beaulieau, in character, complaining that there's "no legal precedent" for The Haters.
And take you for a drag

NerveGas

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on November 01, 2022, 07:10:32 AM
Like Emil Beaulieau, in character, complaining that there's "no legal precedent" for The Haters.

That's a great one, ha!

FreakAnimalFinland

While being out of town.. some internet listening sessions..
Hospital prod bandcamp:
Jumping Tiger 10", simple raw feedback and quiet talking/whispering voice from Ramirez, perhaps not even that far from I Keep Your Stuff Inside -type of thing, when combined with additional sounds from Fernow. Good c. 20 minutes session here.
Masonna / Prurient LP/CD, its like classic GA/Macro split was, tracks per artists altering one after another, so you don't have two halves, but split album where short tracks almost blend together into one, and while Masonna is the classic sounding Masonna here, (perhaps not so frantic vocals like 30 years ago, but otherwise very much so), Prurients "doom electronics" fit pretty damn seamlessly into spirit of what Masonna does. Is it mastering or what, but tracks really blend nicely together and it works as album very nicely. I believe physical copies are yet to start shipping, but you can listen this at bandcamp.
Thirdorgan CD on Hospital... I got these long ago, but knowing what it is, I didn't think I need physical copy. it's all modular system noise electronics, minus the noise. Yeah, it is fast, chaotic, neat sounds, zip zap, woosh, constantly going into places you couldn't do with other things, but not the harsh punchy loudness. I kind of like what I hear, when I adjust to mentality of what it is. But I also know bandcamp listening is enought and if I am on the mood for Thirdorgan, I got so good stuff from him, I wouldn't put this on stereos. But knowing abundance of modular fans, they could check this out for sure.

Youtube listening:
Incapacitants "Feedback of NMS" is one of absolute favorites in their discography. It is the era I heard first, and that insane sound of multuple simultaneous high pitched feedback tones is something you rarely ever hear anyone doing. Vocals on the live track are insane, and also noise unusually fierce. Recent vinyl reissue makes it physically available, that is great. Couple CD versions exists, but never been that widely distributed by western noise distros.
And I can tell it is not that I would have not tried. Only couple times managed to actually get reply and order huge pile of Alchemy stuff. Most of the time, no reply whatsoever. This was already back when label was active. I think Jojo mentioned in old interviews that Japan is their main market, and he was surprised by some 90's labels who actually sold very little to Japan and most copies to US and Europe. Incapacitants is total ripper and I albums like As Loud As Possible sure are heavier and more bass-loaded, but in terms of noisiness and absolute harshness, Feedback of N.M.S. is vastly more brutal noise album. I guess some of the later albums have more classic status simply because they were far more widely available in west?
Masonna "madamoiselle anne....." CD. I can't fully decide is it this, or Noskl in Ana that is my absolute favorite of Masonna. Both are CD's that have so much memorable moments that kind of define what is Masonna - for me. Before and after he did great recordings, but some of early ones he felt like still technically not yet reaching his peak, and later on, the freshness started to go away, and more linear approach. At least based on gut feeling. It is absolutely mindblowing to think, only one CD version done in 1993 and never re-released!? While most of stuff before and after has been done....

Gerogerigegege Senzuri Champion I do not have as LP. I have copy made on CDR, which is pretty good quality. Besides that I got the new remake CD that came out. Remake is nowhere as good as original, and this thing that is at youtube, feels like vinyl rip is quite lame compared to what it should be? Well, it is doable if no other versions at hand...
Senzuri Power-Up, forever among my favorite noise CD's. Alternative version of AnaI Beethoven (part 2) is such a treat and better than the one on Senzuri Champion. No weak moment on the CD, and while many tracks have guitar and bass, they are among the harshest and most ripping noise there is. Demented humor, sleaze, and unique personal take to noise. Vocals also in style you never hear.

Unless someday there would be re-issue, I guess only way to listen debut Test Dept from 1982 is youtube. Someone uplöoaded "History (The Strength of metal in motion)" tape there week ago or so.  Noisy, metal percussion, some real industruments too, some live stuff too. All good stuff. There are some comments about this in youtube upload info.

V/A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO OTOLOGISTS tape
Bizarre Audio arts 1996
Returning home after c. 10 days out of town, with idea of getting back in biz of shipping packages, but finding out heating system of house has malfunctioned meanwhile. Getting those things somehow in order, it makes one want to just listen some good noise and get few drinks and work tomorrow...
Who wouldn't like Emil Beauliaeau? One of my top favorites and this "remixes" of his Minutoli Pure CD stuff, can't be bad. And what about early days Crack Steel? One time I played with them in Tokyo. May have mentioned about it, but god damn, when "warm up" band has Gauze drummer in gasmask, playing in audience, and "stripper" with her pole, doing the full on thing on stage, and loud old school Japanese harsh noizu assault... what you're going to do after it? Play some loops and grunt vocals? God damn. One of those moments that make you learn you got to top up the game. What was done, after this.. haha..
Gestörte Nachbarn was member of Spanish Grindcore legend El Kaso Urkijo doing harsh electronics. Hermit is the canadian punk diy spirit noise unit. Good C-60 tape from 1996!

JOURNEY INTO PAIN 4x tape box
I doubt I will be doing more compilation reissues. It is just too painful to get permissions and approvals... and then someone being 100% opposed to idea. But if I was to vote top must-be-done-so-new-generations-will-learn -type of things, Journey Into Pain CD box set would be very high among the list! I have individual tapes, probably bootleg dubs made in europe, but this legit USA comp made of the originally Japanese compilations. Beast666 clearly had taste, ear and contacts to make exxxxcellent complations. Besides Journey Into Pain, there are so many more. If someone out there would be into trying to do series of Beast666 comp tapes put on CD's, even Hanatarashi and Gerogerigegege tracks alone would be such a preservation of noise legacy that *should* happen. I am amazed how Gero tracks of many of these comps never make it to CD, while some tracks been reissued multiple times. Next tape will start with Gero...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

S*CORE - Sediment CD (God Factory, 1994)
I might be wrong, or my perspective too short, but it seems like this humble old CD is rarely brought up when S*Core is up for discussion. Isn't it usually just the two LPs or the early tapes? While I've heard very little of the early tapes, I do return to those two LPs quite alot. But I do so for their rather specific qualities. Missing Volume for being so dry, barren and, to these ears, intentionally unrewarding. My Candle Has Died for its almost zealously pious vibe, especially in the last track, "In Mind." Next to those albums, Sediment comes across as a more elusive work, sound wise. It certainly has moments both barren and pious, yet there's so much more. "Withdrawal Symptoms" projects giant industries, "Bulimia" has flangered indeciphrable alien vocals up front, in "Incubation Period" sharp chafing sounds grind to and fro against a very Doom '95:ish background, "Blind Alley" with its distant Vivenza-hammering and eerie almost-harmonies playing. And on it goes, with constant ominous tension, held together in a rather brittle production, as if the whole thing had corroded on its way to the pressing plant. If I muster the strength to zoom out mid-listen, what appears is a vertical ghost city, deliberately built in frail useless alloy, each track a descent into a block, a glimpse into a room, a tour down the concrete bowels below the surface. A bigger picture that allows one to see the s*corian cyborg octopian limbs in full stretch. Amazing disc.

FreakAnimalFinland

Sediment is excellent. I think that couple of "divisions" where people who generally like S*Core, have some objections is either the early drum machine industrial type of things, or "Crime" CD, that is great, but kind of more polished production. People seem to appreciate most the stuff between those.

Sediment, in other hand, has no other flaws than it is not collectible in cool way. You can still grab this right now from discogs from 3-10 euro price range and when the slim cardboard cd is in your hand, it probably doesn't make the same WOW, like holding A Jest Of Nature 7" in your hand, but what comes to sound itself, among absolute mandatory S*core!

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Baglady on November 07, 2022, 11:35:31 PM
S*CORE - Sediment CD (God Factory, 1994)
constant ominous tension, held together in a rather brittle production, as if the whole thing had corroded on its way to the pressing plant. If I muster the strength to zoom out mid-listen, what appears is a vertical ghost city, deliberately built in frail useless alloy, each track a descent into a block, a glimpse into a room, a tour down the concrete bowels below the surface

I fucking swear these words so perfectly evoke the album I can practically smell it.
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Recent work playlist
Brandkommand "ray v sovetskom souze" tape
fairly new tape. Polish bleak death industrial/power electronics, kind of Steicher-esque vocals and Anenzephalia-esque sound, but more minimal. Quite lousy dub on this very limited tape. Couple lights blinking, on b-side one channel basically mute..

Taint NYC 2001 live
I guess this could be called fan bootleg of some sort? Short and sweet with obscene lyrical assault.

RMSS "Remission 1+2" tape
when people complain how you can keep up with new Finnish noise projects, when you can't remember their names? SSRI, KSNK, KITU, YANA, HÖH, RMSS,... haha.. I  know... Well, if you can remember these sames, RMSS is new one, new guy, no noise tapes before this as far as I know. No surprise that it is 1) with physical metal junk and that sort of things 2) good!

SCUM "Beyond The Fountain" tape
electronic noise assault on Narcolepsia. I like.

NEON SLIME tape
Didn't expect this to be this good. Nasty noise sleaze that has nothing new to offer, but good old harshness.

8.0/SD tape
Narcolepsia again. Really nice. Odd lo-fi sound, almost as if it was some sort of turntable tonearm recordings, but.. not exactly. Kind of mid range metal junk clatter and collision. Nice.

H.Ö.H. featuring VIOLENT SHOGUN tape
Finnish mystery man I have never (as far as I know) met in person, but published his works. Rotten, corroded, saturated, utterly broken hand made analogue noise. Featuring sounds from VS I guess, and that seems what you start to hear on b-side. Good tape!

LUGOLA "You are not special" tape
Steinklang did CD out of this, but tape is 66 copies edition. Think like Kill To Forget era Slogun meets old Operation Cleansweep with many of sounds being crunchy line-in noise like DBL or even Magazine -era The Rita -but with vocals! I was surprised about how good this actually was.

Chaos Cascade / RxAxPxE "load your guns" split tape
Short tape of heavy industrial synth noise thing. PCV case and comes with bullet shell. One time I sold one 2nd hand power electronics "special edition" to germany, which had bullet include in package. Got call from airport customs officer that started "so.. you tried to send explosives in airplane". Turned out they can't put it in plane, they can't send it back, nor they are authorized to open it. Fuck..  Eventually case was solved, but even like decade later some related funny incidents happened, hah.. I guess bullet shells is just fine, so this arrived with no problems.