PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

There was also Hal Hutchinson new tape loop tape. Literally just a loop tape, so both sides last just few seconds, but you can obviously let it rotate as long as you wish. I think it was merely 10 copies made!

V/A Humanless Compilation CDR
Comp CDR supposedly in edition of 500! Spray painted home made cdr with silkscreened cover.. there's some decent work...  Most of the bands are not noise here (Moss, Thralldom, Unearthly Tance, and so on), but Viodre and about 6 minutes long great Taint tracks makes this CDR keeper!

UTON "Taivaan Joka Kolossa" CDR,
Unlimited, but who knows how many was made as obviously it was taken away from sale. Originally Clay Records 2001 and then 2 years later more copies by Musically Incorrect Records (both operated by mr. Sick Seed).  I was told was planned to be reissued, but have not been. Finnish experimental noise and drone/handmade junk sounds. These days I like Uton sound vastly more than I did 20 years ago. It used to be tough to swallow the certain type aesthetics of Finn experimental, but learned to appreciate.

YAO 91404 D "psychotherapy" CDR.
For my surprise, 20 years old Russian CDR release that still works just fine! This edition of 23 copies, makes me think like Metgumbnerbone type of acoustic cavernous acts, some sort of flute, junk, odd humming, feels like what noise would be without gear! I am not surprised that this project never gets mentioned anywhere, but besides these ultra limited cdr's, there's even one CD on Freak Animal...

Comp CD that came with Denshi Zatsuon #4 magazine, was also sold separately. This dates back to 2000. Koji Tano was alive, and he was key figure in keeping Denshi Zatsuon magazine going. There was issue or two still after he died, but man was too important figure and nobody could keep up that level of work...   Highlights on it are ripping Chop Shop track, very neat Kiyoshi Mizutani track and also Thurston Moore surprised how good he was and Veprisuicida of course always rules but this track is also found on his own release.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

Jarboe- Walls (on Youtube)
Like it, from 1984 as far as I know, before she's joining Swans. Very minimal high pitched tones and lots of desperate screaming. If someone would reissue this, on whatever format, I'd gladly buy it.

https://youtu.be/Qn1HQ1K8Tv8

swastikalotus

I've been digging through a recent hefty order from Stoic Strength last couple of days, today's playlist includes:

V/A - Nyrkki ja kyrpä - F&V Compilation CD
Sick Seed - The Great Corrupter CD
Cervical Smear - Real Death Enthusiast CD
Black State - Hlose CD
Black State - Offensive Weapon 7"

chryptusrecords

Quote from: NUDE_MAJA_GOYA on May 03, 2022, 06:26:54 AM
Diesel Guitar:  Basically everything.  I think, besides when Solmania is in the zone, I generally am not that into "guitar noise", especially when it's clearly just guitar.  I hate improv moves, hate Derek Bailey and all that annoying dork playing an instrument in a wacky exploration crap.  I'd even say I think Jojo sucks, super dry annoying sharp guitar sound.  In the midst of a -Kaidan group effort he rules, but just that raw guitar sound alone is lame.  Alternately, just running a guitar through a wet chain can be too easy and obvious.  My disinterest is based as usual in my contempt for anything "i can do".  Masayuki Takayanagi, I really only LOVE when it's 90's effect drench stuff (though in his case, his skill is beyond mastery and I could never touch it... but even Otomo Yoshihide solo guitar is like... too dry).  Most of the DG stuff, all the solo / duo variations, really hits on target for me.  It's technically not really harsh, more like Texture Fields which is what I look for, tonal layers too.  A lot is really just kosmische ambient heavy guitar drone, like really mellowed down Keiji Haino instrumental sections.  It has all been hitting the spot lately, a presence, a haze with hidden light, a cloud dark shifting, it's guitar and effects, but they take it subtle and let it grow (though some tracks do just, STOP, which I always feel, shoulda let it go longer.)  Might sit down and do a per release review.
good post, great recommendation, had not heard of this project, and has all the markers of something i would casually overlook were it not for a thoughtful review like this

cr

I fucking paid quite a funny amount of money for it, but the  Jonathan Briley - Complete Works 7CD boxset is worth every cent! Get it while you can!

Zeno Marx

Quote from: NUDE_MAJA_GOYA on May 13, 2022, 11:30:17 PM
Batchas: It's possible Roger from Maggot Bile is here too.  Tasteful bass frequencies, spoken German on the A, and a buried spoken loop on the B – this is doing what I was hoping the Maggot Bile record would stick to, frequencies interacting minimally, gradual texture shifts, and reserved pacing – but no cute samples.  Kinda reminds me of one of those records you get where you're like, ok it's fine, but why press it to vinyl?  No real complaints, but as with essentially all things in life, I do wish there were flanged commando vocals yelling over everything .  You listen to enough French academic stuff from the 50's – 70's any of this 'at home' version of concrete from the 80s+  is not worthwhile.  He kinda does goofy PE here.
Batchas had a couple of really good releases, as did another related project, Myiase (aka Myase).  The Bunker Archeology compilation had a solid group of gems on it.  Myiase was slated to do a powerhouse themed work that never went beyond the acceptance phase.  Both projects are recommended.

Harsh talk of Brume, a bona fide great.  Can't agree with you on that score.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

MASS MARRIAGE "Restless" CD
New Forces
These days you get quite often remarks about "guys in balaclavas pushing one finger on MS-20", hehe.. sort of deserved for part of the genre, but in some ways, occasionally ain't that many fingers you need for good industrial-noise of some sorts! This CD has pretty simple structures, often oscillating synth, some vocals, samples, a bit of other things, but one barely needs to re-invent the wheel, if there is a bit of taste and know how, and even the tasty buzzing distortion present in vocals and samples is something that hits the sweet spot for me, and I like this way more than previous things I heard from project.

SEWER ELECTION "Horse Utopie" CD
Ideal
Harsh Noise from S.E. barely needs introduction. It is pretty much what S.E. does at the moment, and if you like it, you'll like this.

ÄIJÄLÄ / NOVA / KANDELIN "Forest" CD
Farfalla
Basically this would be Musta Toteemi with additional female vocalist. Droning electronics and droning singing, simple but excellent nevertheless!

EDGE OF DECAY "Vein of Metal" CD
Aussaat
CD is partly harsh noise type of thing, partly it is the Finn industrial-noise / PE type approach. There are bunch of tracks ( 8 in total ) that are really damn good, like massive ending piece.. and then there are tracks what would have been fine on tape, but do not appear as good as one would hope CD album to be! Surely fans of Finnish noise filth will be satisfied, but if you expect the final touch of sweet ear-candy, I guess CD could have been recycled via analogue tape or something and it would have have extra punch.

V/A Feedback solidarity tape
Finnish noise artists in solidarity for Ukraine.  19 artists from Finland here, and even after there are 5 volumes of KOLARI compilations and 4 volumes of TERÄSSINFONIA, you will have probably almost 10 projects that have not been featured in neither of those series! So this would be another mandatory for those who want to check out the currently active Finnish noise scene. Any why to check? It's brilliant compilation for starters! So good songs here, it's too bad the tape sold so quick. It would probably work out perfectly also as CD compilation. 60 minutes, and I would say there is barely more than couple minutes where it wouldn't be "hit music only", eh eh...
You can check it from bandcamp:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/feedback-solidarity-finnish-noise-artists-in-solidarity-for-ukraine
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Stipsi

Taint: sex sick.
Do i have to say more?
My favourite noise album ever.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Baglady

OCHU - AmokNagen / AbgangsGenom C30 (Hatband, 2022)
I've had this recording on tape for quite some time, but have kept myself from playing it too often, as I wanted it rather fresh when the real deal showed up. It was tough, but now it's finally here. This tape sees Ochu pull on his wellingtons again. It's a nod back to his tape heydays in many ways: plenty of "brown notes", uneasy loops and electric seepage. But his present use of untreated field and object sounds have found their way in as well, preventing this thing from being some straight up retro trip, and instead takes off where Dryparn (Gothenburg Blood Cult, 2008) ended while adding new things to the mix. The atmosphere of it is that of a rundown and mismanaged farm, operated by drooling oafs, bereft of the necessary skills and wits. It's a foul and diseased scenery, folks. Bring odor salt in case you insist visiting. Killer tape!

cr

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland link=topic=52.msg96747#msg96747

V/A Feedback solidarity tape
Finnish noise artists in solidarity for Ukraine.  19 artists from Finland here, and even after there are 5 volumes of KOLARI compilations and 4 volumes of TERÄSSINFONIA, you will have probably almost 10 projects that have not been featured in neither of those series! So this would be another mandatory for those who want to check out the currently active Finnish noise scene. Any why to check? It's brilliant compilation for starters! So good songs here, it's too bad the tape sold so quick. It would probably work out perfectly also as CD compilation. 60 minutes, and I would say there is barely more than couple minutes where it wouldn't be "hit music only", eh eh...
You can check it from bandcamp:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/feedback-solidarity-finnish-noise-artists-in-solidarity-for-ukraine

Yes, excellent compilation and lots of new names (at least for me). I was lucky enough to get the tape, but if this would be also released as CD, I'd most probably want to have it too.

AKTI Records

Mogao - Finger Pointing To The Moon CD (Satatuhatta)

Rough textures, subdued piano punches and occasional bursts of noise interplay in Mogao`s latest full length that came out not so long ago from the northern Satatuhatta label. While Rajanen's vision sometimes reminds me of beloved experimental projects such as Idea Fire Company or even Ahti & Ahti, I get a feel that Finger Pointing To The Moon is not planned album in a sence that it would pick aesthetical pieces from album or two and combine them to a soup of cultural references.

To me this album feels like a gifted noise artist is starting to open up more and more to different possibilities inside the creative process and I cannot wait to hear what he`s up to next.

Bromp Treb - Bald Eagle Over Food City LP (Artsy)

"The same places, things and people can have many different names depending on who is doing the calling..."

American sound artist Neil "cloaca' Young a.k.a Bromp Treb gets super personal on his latest. He delivers 13 deformed compositions which little by little show us layers of beauty and stagnant melancholy. Bromp Treb takes us through what seems to be a carcass of an American smalltown, each track representing a certain place or a setting. The soundworld of the LP varies from arhythmic loopery (a very common attribute on many Artsy Records releases...) to a drunken one man marching band playing his guts out.

"A fat bald eagle lazily circles above the grocery store parking lot..."

It might take some time to digest Bald Eagle Over Food City but I promise that the experience will be well worth it. This record carries within it a special kind of honesty.

Baglady

Quote from: accidental on May 23, 2022, 06:55:28 PM
Phill Niblock - Nothing to look at just a record (LP, 1982, India Navigation)
I bought this some years ago and received a cracked lp. Found a supposedly near unplayed copy a while back. But it does play with some noise throughout. Unsure if it's been played by a bad needle or if pressing was not very good. Anyone else with an original of this? This should have been reissued on CD...
I have the vinyl reissue from Superior Viaduct, and to my ears it sounds great. No annoying hiss, pops etc. Looks fine as well, true to the original pressing.

Andrew McIntosh

Aprapat's "Chimes of Entropy" fucking rules.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Ludd Gang - Demo 1999 - anarcho percussion ensemble with minimal electronics and sampled "lyrics" - good stuff, and for when in the mood for something like Militia.

can find it at the great bandcamp page https://sheffieldtapearchive.bandcamp.com/
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

MHK

Nuori Veri - Kadonnut maailmankuva

Not much to add to the posts a couple of pages above. Very unique take on industrial (is there something similar to this? let us know). Love the hand-made feel and overall ruggedness. Abrupt edits utilized here and there work well. Great vocals, both shouted and spoken. I guess the ones on "Ikuisten ystävien kanssa" are sampled? Where are they from? Anyways, one of the best and FRESHEST things I've heard lately. (CD compilation of the tapes would be more than welcome.)

Mania - Raw Nerves and Unseen Eyes

Worthy swan song to one of the best ever, showing different sides of the project.