PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldous

PAIN NAIL "Magneettinen Koutalo" & "Salainen Diktatuuri"

Excelent industrial noise. Pain Nail is a project to which I return quite frequently. Listening to this is almost as realizing a synthesis of what industrial noise is: loops, amplified junk metal, thoughtful and intense use of vocals, occasional rhythmic patterns or elements, a great dosage of ambience and spatial feeling and and actual narrative / compositional structure. As I am a fanatic for old school stuff such as, for example, early SPK, listening to these records instantly makes my blood warmer.
Each track sounds as if it is carefully crafted and is full of details whose potential is heard when volume in stereo is nicely crancked up. While specific sounds and modulations grant them individual value, the entire albums are much more that the sum of its parts and I strongly advise a complete and ininterrupt listening.

BLUNT INSTRUMENT "Sudarium-Wearing Thugs & Krakens"

This is oddball coming from Portugal, by the hands of illustrator André Lemos. Surrealistic saturated collage of rhythms, vocal samples and random odd sounds that form a wide and sometimes playfull pallette through which Lemos crafts a sonic version of his uncanny illustrations. While listening to this I cannot refrain from thinking about Nurse With Wound as well as some french old school projects such as Brume or Negativland. More akin to musique concréte than to "noise", expect moments of highly unsettling intensity and frantic complexity.

https://blackholetimewarp.bandcamp.com/album/sudarium-wearing-thugs-krakens-the-inner-ear-tales-one

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: piisti on April 08, 2022, 07:43:30 PM
There was a time when I cannot use headphones to listen noise. Nowadays I do it pretty much when I check material what I have been recorded. Also at work bandcamp is nice thing to use. But when I LISTEN music I use only good stereo system at home. My opinion is that you have to feel differences of sound. In few last years I've been listen mostly cassettes which is pretty odd versus era before that was some 95% cd's.  Some deduce it's quality of tapes maybe.  Personal result is you should preferred artist vision.  Or is it a same thing to see some sculpture through phone screen or in a park...

good headphones are of course good. Not my preferred way to listen, but I listen all my releases on headphones too, just to make sure mastering works for headphones too. Of course not always in ideal place to listen in terms of volume or other conditions, but I do recommend good sound system for any noise head.

Caught finally covid, and spend days listening vinyl boxes:
Thee Angels Ov Light Meet Thee Angry Love Orchestra "Psychic Rally" CD
Cold Spring
Older Uk stuff. Late evening went with this occult industrial cd I consider among highlights of Cold Spring catalogue. Simple, but great!
"Thee Angels Ov Light Meet Thee Angry Love Orchestra was an illegal event organised by Thee Temple Ov Psychick Youth in 1988. This CD is a document edited and shaped to capture a moment in time and those feelings and impressions connected with it.
Original recordings, Old Street, London, 23rd April 1988, by Justin Mitchell. Re-EQ'd, Mixed and additional material recorded by Rook at Armadillo's, Early 1995. "  Discogs price starts at less than 5 euro still today...

Current 93 "Unreleased Rarities, Out-Takes, Rehearsals And Live 82-95 / Christ And The Pale Queens, Mighty In Their Sorrow / The Red Face Of God / Emblems / As The World Disappears" 8xLP +7"
Then, woke up last night like 4 in morning and continued with Current 93 box set. First 4 lp + 7" was done before sunrise, and another evening 2nd LP of 2nd box going. I would guess one hardly needs to write any introduction about why early C93 (or later!) would be mandatory listening.
It would be good challenge to put as much personality into sheer noise as C93 has in their odd bizarro musick.

Current 93 Dreamt By Andrew Liles ‎– Like Swallowing Eclipses 6xLP
Dirter
during bizarre moments of covid+ lockdown at home, perhaps equally bizarre experience of sitting through yet another C93 related huge box, with one sitting! 6 x LP box of Andrew Liles working with Current 93 sounds. This 6 LP box of more abstract works was listened in one session. LP after another. Perhaps weakest moment is the A-side of last LP, but all in all, pretty damn good box. No neofolk here, couple sides are eerie drone. Sometimes gets pretty noisy, always neat. I guess this is the thing with having good sources, and that mixed with more advanced editing possibilities than back in the 80's. This one I actually had still shrinkwrapped since 2010 when it came out. I got it about same time as the VOD vinyl box, so at the time felt like I'll check the other box later on... well, this sure is later on!

Then moved into:
V/A Cassettencombinat West-Berlin 1980 - 81 3xLP box
Vinyl On Demand
Best works remind almost spirit of early Einturzende Neubauten - vaguely sure - but that's how it works for me. Early tape scene electronic music / industrial sounds

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 09, 2022, 10:16:03 AM
Current 93 / As The World Disappears

Basically perfect. Most of it appears on the second disc of the 2CD edition of Thunder Perfect Mind, for those unable to obtain the costly VOD box.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

NerveGas

Stuck in the house with Covid, so seemed like a good time to listen to a stack of new purchases. Stuff many, including myself have heard before, but what else have I got to do right now.

Prurient - And Still, Wanting LP

Perhaps my favorite Prurient release at this point. Has a crisp digital sound that I am normally not drawn to, but the usage of this type of sound fits the aesthetic of the release perfectly. Crushing blasts of noise that abruptly cut out followed by low ominous drones and typical Prurient style spoken word. With this release and Pleasure Ground I feel like he really came into his own. All around perfect balance of brutality emotion that so many Prurient releases are categorizes by.

Prurient - Pleasure Ground LP

First track is a total earfuck with shrill feedback and rhythmic blasting static bursts. Tortured vocals. Another contender for top Prurient release. There is perhaps one droning death industrial style track that causes a loss of momentum, but it is just a minor inconsistency. Still a top contender. Wish the reissue had the same cover art as the original that I purchased. The bizarre jester/logo mashup is more fitting.

Alfarmania - Bottenskrapet LP

I was a recent convert to Alfarmania. Perhaps the high prices that some of their releases fetch discouraged me. I don't really know. Happy to have dived into more of their catalog. This is not cold or harsh but murky, damaged, cavernous, and suffocating sound. This is what I want industrial/power electronics to sound like. Totally ramshackle, almost falling apart at times. What sounds like ground buzz or unplugged cables at some points. Unhinged. Two enveloping long form tracks. One per side. Picture disk collage looks phenomenal as well.

Haare - Tantric Noise LP

I have sung Haare's praises on this board a few times, and this is a perfect record for being sick and quarantined at home. Meditative drones, clanging and creaking metal, the ever present feeling of eastern mysticism that he is known for. The sounds of some unknown temple ritual. Oddly calming, but not without the possibility of impending dread. Never reaching levels of full harshness but remaining restrained.

Macronympha - Live At No Fun Fest Single Sided LP

After seeing the classic footage of the chaos that unfolded during this set, an audio only version feels a bit lacking, but how could it not. However that is not to say it is without its merits. Harsh and energetic. Sounds of crowd rowdiness. One can pick up on the energy of the set especially when cheering and screaming of the crowd are heard over the music. By no means a bad release, but live albums are rarely essential especially one's such as this where physical chaos seemed to be taking center stage (in a good way!). Still, a cheap acquisition, and happy to add it to the Macro collection.

Nuori Veri - Kadonnut Maailmankuva CD

Possibly my favorite release that I have heard all year. This was written about on the SI website, so I won't try to repeat anything. Basically this is one of the most unique takes on PE/Industrial I have heard in a long time. So much so that I hesitate to even throw it into one of those camps. Many sounds that are not particularly powerful or harsh, but add to the overall dusty, traditionalist atmosphere. Scraping wood, rural farm sounds, and the vocals.... Incredibly powerful, almost militant proclamations. I do not speak Finnish, but language works perfectly to me ears, and I have some minute understanding of what the lyrical themes are. Cream of the crop release that has been on repeat since I got it.

MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

expectorant

Quote from: NerveGas on April 15, 2022, 03:40:57 AM

Possibly my favorite release that I have heard all year. This was written about on the SI website, so I won't try to repeat anything. Basically this is one of the most unique takes on PE/Industrial I have heard in a long time. So much so that I hesitate to even throw it into one of those camps. Many sounds that are not particularly powerful or harsh, but add to the overall dusty, traditionalist atmosphere. Scraping wood, rural farm sounds, and the vocals.... Incredibly powerful, almost militant proclamations. I do not speak Finnish, but language works perfectly to me ears, and I have some minute understanding of what the lyrical themes are. Cream of the crop release that has been on repeat since I got it.

This is great stuff. Same goes for the 'Luun Ja Auran Synteesi' tape. I've been enjoying both of them quite a bit, simply based on sound and the associated subject matter. It's a goddamn shame that I don't understand a lick of Finnish, since it feels like l'm missing out on a lot, to say the least. Too bad there aren't any lyrics included either. Regardless, it's a breath of fresh air in our world, for its unique approach as much as its earnest attitude.

NerveGas

Quote from: expectorant on April 15, 2022, 06:38:14 AM
Quote from: NerveGas on April 15, 2022, 03:40:57 AM

This is great stuff. Same goes for the 'Luun Ja Auran Synteesi' tape. I've been enjoying both of them quite a bit, simply based on sound and the associated subject matter. It's a goddamn shame that I don't understand a lick of Finnish, since it feels like l'm missing out on a lot, to say the least. Too bad there aren't any lyrics included either. Regardless, it's a breath of fresh air in our world, for its unique approach as much as its earnest attitude.

It really is phenomenal. The other releases I have heard are great as well. I will be following everything this project does going forward. And yes, lyrics would be great! I would even (attempt to) translate them myself if I had to. Not that Google Translate would be much help. But I agree that it seems like lyrics are a very important component and I do feel I am missing out. With that said it is refreshing to see a project do something so completely outside the box within the realm of industrial. Not that I mind more traditional approaches, but this type of experimentation is always welcome.

MT

Kovana - "Club Catharsis" CD

Kovana has been walking their own paths and this full lenght really cements that statement. Cover arts have this very distinct Kovana aesthetic, simple and punky approach. Sound itself has taken huge leaps; mixture if dense wall of sound and high end ripping noises with intense as ever vocal delivery. Songs have these kind of glitchy features, abrupt pauses, blasts, at times sound is ripping apart in a neat way. Some songs are just short rippers. At times I kind of get this industrial  version of Atari Teenage Riot vibe from heavy beat oriented songs, intense atmosphere and female vocals. And only in a good way. Vocals have varied kind of effecting, which is always appreciated. From distant wobbly kind to more in your face. I tried to pick out stand out songs but I ended up writing almost every song. Tells enough about this album. Extremely fresh wind with neon lights, in the hazy industrial dungeon.

Human Larvae - "Pure Sex" CD

I don't have that much reference points ofn HL material, but I really liked this CD. Song titles revolve around death, sex and rebirth. Layout of the multipaneled digipack is spot on, accompanied with lyrics. Sound on "Pure Sex" is crafted with good vision and intent. Spacious yet very present, looping industrial scraps, nicely distorted vocals and commanding teutonic voice. Theres a hand on feel to it with physical metal treatment, scrapes and bangs, with an avalanche of dense layer of noise. Song flow goes from one instrumental song, one song with vocals etc. I am not sure if the album tells a linear story, or more like fragments of circumstances, memories and dreams. Personally I really like the samples in "Rejection Intermezzo". To conclude I would say this album requires attention, lots of stuff is happening under seemingly "simple" songs. With careful listening one can unearth lots of things, and sometimes the looping quality of songs sort of set the listener in a strange catatonic mood.

Theodore

RE: Nuori Veri : New Metsakirkko [the guy from Nuori Veri with a pal] tape is good stuff too. But being 4th chapter in Kult Of Nihilow's series, after Sadio, Pain Nail, and Alfarmania / Young Hustlers split, you dont need anyone's recommendation. You feel, you know it is good, and i am just verifying, saying you are correct.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

NerveGas

Quote from: Theodore on April 15, 2022, 07:28:06 PM
RE: Nuori Veri : New Metsakirkko [the guy from Nuori Veri with a pal] tape is good stuff too. But being 4th chapter in Kult Of Nihilow's series, after Sadio, Pain Nail, and Alfarmania / Young Hustlers split, you dont need anyone's recommendation. You feel, you know it is good, and i am just verifying, saying you are correct.

I was unaware that someone from Metsakirkko was involved with Nuori Veri. I only know of them through their collaboration with Hail Conjurer, who I am a big fan of. Will have to check out more now, of course. Thanks for the heads up.

FreakAnimalFinland

This latest Metsäkirkko tape is the best to get if you like Nuori Veri. Perhaps less musical than former works. Also due special packaging etc, not likely to be available for very long!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RURAL RESISTANCE

Thanks for the kind words. Those interested in Nuori Veri lyrics can get in touch: brownhillmafia@gmail.com. I've made some crude translations.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Vincent Dallas – DOKTERSBEZOEK Narcolepsia c20

Vincent Dallas returns with his third release on Narcolepsia. The relatively new Belgian artist to the scene who made an impression with his Manische Hyperaktiviteit tape on the Finnish Satatuhatta label returns with a slightly different, but equally satisfying release. The immediate difference I notice between this material and the last tape is it's a lot crustier. Overall, the sound is more rough and lo-fi with the perfect level of grit. The material has characteristics that could definitely be described as the "broken electronics" sound that Oskar was discussing recently on one of the private WCN Patreon episodes. Think somewhere in the ballpark of the Sewer Election & Treriksroset "Rågsved" release. Really filthy, sputtery, and jagged tones of gear on their last breath.

Excellent, excellent release. Excited by each new tape from the artist and very much anticipating the Fantoom Klank cassette.

Scathing – Tunneling Flesh Mound Narcolepsia c20
Kenny's development of style has been exciting to listen to for the last few years. First got his self-titled tape on Idiopathic Records (whatever happened to this label? Put out quality material) and enjoyed his multiple tapes and CD release on Oxen. That first untitled c20 on Oxen was especially good and the 74-minute monolithic recent full-length CD "A Capital Beneath The Waves" is a very rewarding listen.  

Anyway, Side A of Tunneling Flesh Mound is the fast-paced and scorching cut-up style Kenny does so well. Full-on non-stop blasting feedback and distortion. Side B showcases some of the more finesse and editing prowess of the artist and exhibits an ebb and flow of dynamics. Starts off with a more atmospheric build-up and then starts darting in and out of harsh shaker box blasts, then into subdued grinding machinery loops, and back out again.

An artist that knows how to go full throttle but also tapers his releases with well thought out dynamics, very strong tape and a new favorite from his many solid releases!

MT

Moozzhead - "Waist Watchers Anonymous‎"
Moozzhead - "Adventures in Modern Erotics"
Moozzhead - "The Doors Of Perfection"

Three new Moozz tapes, in for a treat! Dormant for 20 years, now erupting and spitting quality harsh noise tapes here and there! Material has taken big leaps since the first tape after "comeback". But out of these three "The Doors Of Perfection" shows most improvement, a lot of new techniques which bring colour and twist to the deal. Definate must haves for anyone into good ripping harsh noise! Best part is, I am sure there is lots of more to come!

NerveGas

Quote from: RURAL RESISTANCE on April 16, 2022, 10:02:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Those interested in Nuori Veri lyrics can get in touch: brownhillmafia@gmail.com. I've made some crude translations.

I'll send an email shortly. Great work.

HateSermon

BLESS THE SICKNESS - "BLESS THE SICKNESS" 10"
Asrar

Total dirtbag electronics. Nothing trendy here. Minimal PE / loops from Pasi, hateful vox from Ravenlord (Woods of Infinity). I've been wanting this one for some time and finally pulled the trigger on it. Not disappointed! Asrar, of course, does a great job with the presentation. Nice thick cover and cardstock insert with full color print. "Pee for Bizarre Uproar."