PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

UMPIO - Molesterol CD (Freak Animal, 2020)
Been a while since I checked out any new Umpio, so this traded disc came most welcome the other day. And what a record! Style wise all over the place, but with a palette of junk, maltreated modulars and burnt electronics that he's made his own over the years. A careless fuck-it-approach that works backwards in a way; by (I'm just assuming here) not trying to work out something very specific he ends up with a mixed bag noone else offers. And the sound is just perfect; big, wide and roomy, yet with so much punch. Studio wizardry that doesn't sound polished. Ripping, inventive and unhibited harsh noise! Best Umpio I've heard so far, and a very late addition to my best-of-2020 list.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Ashmonger on April 14, 2021, 02:58:20 PM

Caligula031/Rotat (tape, Daddy's Entertainment):

It's Northern Central not Rotat!
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ConcreteMascara

Seefeel - (Ch-Vox) CD - Rephlex, 1996 - I feel a bit miffed that the day after this arrived in the mail Warp announced a massive Seefeel reissue with this album, Succour and a bunch of out of singles and unreleased material. Especially considering the cost of the LP box set was just slight more than double for what I paid for this one CD. Bad fucking timing, but now the LP package is sold out so I'm double fucked. The record itself, well it's easily the most dour record Seefeel released. Mostly it falls in the realm of treated guitar dark ambient spooks, but the presence of guitar is not obvious. It's very cold, somewhere between cave cold and void of space cold. Mournful might be another good word, but not in a gothic way. Hive is the prickliest tune of the bunch, almost feeling out of place, but very much in line with prior prickly tunes mixed in with smoother tracks. The CD is short too, just over 30 minutes, which feels like the perfect length for the material. All the tracks are very good even, it might even be a perfect record in a sense. I'll be interested to see the remastered and expanded version stacks up against, whenever I get my hands on it.

Delta Files - Body Bags CD - Re-Load Ambient, 1996 - I didn't realize that the guy behind Imminent Starvation was behind this until right before it arrived. If you're familiar with that project this won't seem far afield. It's reminiscent of the slow and creepier songs on those early Imminent Starvation records, except all the songs are like that here. I've only given it one listen so far but I liked the first track best. For the level of repetition at times, some of the songs are too long, but not annoying. I wonder how my feelings will change with repeated listens.

V/A - Ambient 4: Isolationism 2xCD - Virgin, 1994 - What a great mix of artists on this comp put out by Virgin [!!!]. Man the '90s were wild. I've been interested in picking this one up for years and I finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. For such a varied and lengthy collection there isn't anything I don't like. Quite the accomplishment! Part of the trick may be that much of this isn't particularly ambient in the way you might expect and that the tracks remain varied so you never feel like you're hearing the same schtick over and over. The linear notes go into detail as to the  idea behind the comp and why you get artists like Scorn, Thomas Koner, Jim O'Rourke and Keiji Haino in the same collection. I especially like the section on disc 1 that goes from :zoviet*france: to Labradford to Techno Animal to Paul Schutze. really good late night vibes. so far it's only been headphone listening but I'm excited to get it on the speakers and really feel the music while I lay on the floor like a slug.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Eigen Bast

Gomikawa Fumio - The Rise and Fall of Gomikawa Fumio CD Hello from the Gutter 2020
Completely unhinged Japanese noise from this monster of a super group. I legit started laughing as soon as the noise started it; it's so fucking heavy!!! Huge low end, dynamic feedback piercing through, shredding vocals, non stop madness for 25+ minutes sans a few brief "track" breaks. Catching this live would have split my wig A++ pure psycho

HateSermon

Quote from: vomitgore on April 10, 2021, 12:52:51 PM

Hate Sermon - Steel Fortress (Gutter Disease)
Very good sounds reminicent of many Malignant artists. The highly treated bubbly "narration style" vocals arent really my bag in General, but still worked.

Thanks for your review. New material is in the works.

Duncan

Quote from: Eigen Bast on April 26, 2021, 11:32:44 PM
Gomikawa Fumio - The Rise and Fall of Gomikawa Fumio CD Hello from the Gutter 2020
Completely unhinged Japanese noise from this monster of a super group. I legit started laughing as soon as the noise started it; it's so fucking heavy!!! Huge low end, dynamic feedback piercing through, shredding vocals, non stop madness for 25+ minutes sans a few brief "track" breaks. Catching this live would have split my wig A++ pure psycho

Yes! I've been quite surprised at the lack of attention/interest around this. It so rough and ridiculous, I love it.

ConcreteMascara

Proof Of The Shooting - Demonstrative Evidence 4xCD - Fusty Cunt, Self Abuse, 2020 - I've only had time to digest the first disc of this box set but man am I happy I took a chance on it. Setting aside the two live sets on the first disc, this is a really pleasant mixture of tearing and searing harsh noise, some metallic textures, feedback, clangs and probably tape manipulation. It's not wildly dense, but it's not super thin or tinny either. 8(3) is probably my favorite of the bunch with it's full stereo spectrum of sound and really unpleasant mixture of rapid squalls with slower up and down distorted motions. Fucked up, this is fucked up stuff. Quite excited to get into the next 3 discs. I really appreciate this type of reissue where I've never even heard of the artist but can tell from the labels doing the reissue and their description that's its something previously lost to the sands of time that needs to heard today.

Curtis Roads / Todd Barton ‎– Split CD - Nekorekords, 2020 - did I review this yet? I can't remember. It's a classy reissue of a classy tape on Nekorekords from 4 years back. Noisy material from more "academic" type artists. I think I prefer the Todd Barton material but I'd say the styles are two sides of the same coin, so quite complimentary. Definitely worth checking out if you want less blistering noise from some leftfield names.

[death|trigger|impulse]

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 27, 2021, 10:32:16 PM
Proof Of The Shooting - Demonstrative Evidence
Curtis Roads / Todd Barton ‎– Split CD - Nekorekords, 2020 - did I review this yet? I can't remember. It's a classy reissue of a classy tape on Nekorekords from 4 years back. Noisy material from more "academic" type artists. I think I prefer the Todd Barton material but I'd say the styles are two sides of the same coin, so quite complimentary. Definitely worth checking out if you want less blistering noise from some leftfield names.

New Curtis Roads LP on Slowscan coming up. Really great!

Ashmonger

Quote from: tiny_tove on April 19, 2021, 12:30:36 AM
Quote from: Ashmonger on April 14, 2021, 02:58:20 PM

Caligula031/Rotat (tape, Daddy's Entertainment):

It's Northern Central not Rotat!
Haha, of course. Now I could say: that's what you get without artist names, but I won't, because it's all my fault and I think I was sleeping while typing Rotat...

Ashmonger

XE - 18 (CD, Filth&Violence): I guess everybody here knows what to expect. Seems to sound a bit less ear-piercing, but it delivers.

Femeheim - Peinheil (CD, Total Black): I can't remember the aggressive vocals from the former albums, but they're pretty good. Aside from that, good, but not mindblowing straight away, but I think it will grow a bit more.

Infektionsabteilung - Hier ist kein Trost (CD, At War With False Noise): Recommended CD, mixture of PE/DI with junk metal sounds or chains, then some parts are more Ambient like. Track 2 and 4 are perhaps a bit less interesting, but the others are very good. Infektionsabteilung manages to have diverse sounds etc, but the overall atmosphere keeps it coherent.

FreakAnimalFinland

After Maria Zerfall box (commented on MZ topic), there was need for more raw european sound. Two double CD's. GENOCIDE ORGAN civilization 2xCD box, I like a lot. Band has developed over the years, become more complex sonically and perhaps also thematically, but the early day rawness of GO is so great. Fierce live disc, great collection of all Amerika themed material on other disc. In its nastyness, I think this is among the best reissued GO live material, since it is so much less focused on "classic songs", even when having them, extra filthy recording.

Con-Dom "live Japan" double CD, is the special edition of the Japan live. Real CD is basically studio remake of live material recorded in Japan. Bonus disc as CDR, is full raw unedited live recording of Tokyo show. Very different from the other disc. Utmost rawness, often thin, lacking all crunchy bass, just painfully disturbing and challenging material by noise luddite doing it unlike anyone else. It is hard to say, but I could even be tempted to conclude that bonus disc, unedited live, with different tracks, is the better one?! Eternally worshipped here..

NIGHT SCIENCE VI magazine + CD.
Listened the comp CD and all interviews has been read, but still plenty of reviews wait. CD has stand out tracks by Torba. Hostage Pageant pretty much always delivers. No exception here. Also Mikawa track is nice except for the clicks/pops that probably belong to the original live recording. IFOTS is somehow unusual. Taeter nice too.

Magazine editorial briefly mentioned long delay and mentioned horrors of computer crash etc.
I guess that if you ask any 'zine editor, who made more than couple issues, they will have mostly horror stories to tell. It is almost miracle that issue of noise zine gets done. I am very glad to see Night Science, Noise Receptor, New Forces, Troubled Sleep etc happen. I think nowadays CD with zine might work as "tactical method". Now that so many dealers are selling via discogs, without CD inside the magazine, it would not be really possible to have it on distribution if it was "just a magazine". In this small genre, just having handful labels who switched to discogs store, may result quite a bit smaller number of distributors?

In this issue, many people I didn't expect anything in particular, seem like really nice people. Mostly very positive and creative interviews.

Annihilvs is more label interview and doesn't focus much of NTT or Theologian as creative works. There is more talk of miserable industrial business, postage rates, CDR's, digital music or current USA politics. One of the most bitter and hopeless interviews in industrial music for some time.

Many years ago, I was playing couple shows in USA, and I recall it was Slogun, organizer, myself as passagner, coming from bar, and mr. Annihilvs as driver, stopped by police. Pulled on the side, and there was black cop, asking what's up driving way way faster than one should... I was told to do as cops say, as I guess that's they way to survive in USA. They looked our ID's and asked questions. Lee told we'd have industrial music gig next day, and offered to play some samples to officer. Eventually this NYC cop concluded "you guys are crazy. Back in the day, you'd be into hardcore". And we were let go, despite pretty intense driving exceeding the speed limits.
Same trip, next day, the car was toed away, for wrong parking. My backback with all gear in the car. I got it all back, but show was shut down by police about 10 seconds after Grunt started. I was not disappointed at all. Already seen TAINT, BLOODYMINDED and several others....

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Flooded Church of Asmodeus - Satan's Punishment: The Ultimatum 2012 - black metal.  noisecore.  noise.  doom.  sludge.  Brainbombs.  industrial.  I wasn't in the mood for anything the other day, and I ran into this name in a distro I sometimes check that wouldn't usually stock something like this.  They said positive things, so I had to give it a listen.  I think I listened to three FCoA albums in a row on youtube.  This reminds me of something I would have randomly gambled on in the Ax/ction//Fudgeworthy catalogs of the 90s.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland link=topic=52.msg92953#msg92953 date=1621061330

b]NIGHT SCIENCE VI magazine + CD.[/b]
Listened the comp CD and all interviews has been read, but still plenty of reviews wait. CD has stand out tracks by Torba. Hostage Pageant pretty much always delivers. No exception here. Also Mikawa track is nice except for the clicks/pops that probably belong to the original live recording. IFOTS is somehow unusual. Taeter nice too.

I listened to the CD the other night and really enjoyed it.  A strong collection of tracks overall, 6-7 years in the making!  Makes me feel I need more compilations as they give me plenty of avenues of artists to explore.  Also need to dig out my CD for Issue V which will be somewhere around, its gotten separated from the zine somehow.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 16, 2021, 01:25:58 AM
Flooded Church of Asmodeus - Satan's Punishment: The Ultimatum 2012 - black metal.  noisecore.  noise.  doom.  sludge.  Brainbombs.  industrial.

While I've enjoyed all of the FCoA releases  this debut is still my easy favorite. My old roommate and I sound-tracked a lot of depravity with this one. I can still remember one particular night of potent chemical cocktails where we had title track absolutely blasting from his boombox, while howling and flinging furniture, The Toxic Avenger playing on the tv in the background. I feel like I'm loosing braincells just thinking about it...

不失者 / Fushitsusha ‎– Origin's Hesitation CD - PSF, 2001 - percussive free-fall into clipped and staggered drum pointillism, primal vocalizations, flickering bass notes. is this the sound of unravelling?
[death|trigger|impulse]

ConcreteMascara

Sick Seed - Beasts Among Men cassette - Freak Animal, 2010 - from 2009 through 2012 I feverishly picked up every SS release. After the projects absurdly good introduction on Hated Perversions, The Great Corrupter came out on F&V and I was hooked. That album is a masterpiece to my ears. But anyone expecting more of the same from the project wasn't going to get it. It's hard to say what more of the same would've sounded like since The Great Corrupter was so diverse, but it had that nice blend of raw and harsh F&V sound, clearly and powerful vocals, Skrewdriver cover, and tinge of psychedelia. Many of those elements come back in one way or another through the next SS releases, but the portions of each varied wildly.
All that leads to Beasts Among Men which a very thick and heavy sounding recording, in contrast to the wiry and almost brittle mix of TGC. I was certainly a little surprised when I first got it. It sounds like a Wolfman scientist, experimenting and ranting in equal turns. And when nothing goes like it should on the a-side, we get Luddite Aktion aka 20 minutes of junk metal abuse that sounds like said Wolfman tearing his laboratory apart. I must mention Rats Of Yaldabaoth. It's been stuck in my mind since I first heard it a decade ago. There's this thudding lurch to it, bass-y crumble but clear and concise vocals. It's a real highlight.

Government Alpha ‎– Defective Politics CD - Audio Dissection, IR, 2020 - turgid electricity. shuttering, juddering, slice off your finger tips, crush your toes, making your fillings fall out harsh noise. lick a live wire harsh noise. incredibly deserving of this reissue harsh noise.
[death|trigger|impulse]