PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Final Solution - This Way: I tape : 2 long live performances, at the same place, with 2 months distance. 1990-1991. Recording of live at Side A is not of good quality, unfortunately. Sounds like the taper was moving in the space or the tape has degraded over time or equipment couldnt stand the Force. Probably the first. At times sound gets distant, then loud again, till around the half of the set when he finds his place till the end. But again when you listen Side B you understand what Side A could be too ! Side B, has no such problems, and recording does justice the dynamite they are, with its 'mix levels' and details ! They are on fire and offer Great fun ! It's obvious that within these 2 months they got better. Set is a little shorter, more coherent, and generally ... no rest for your ass. - Looking forward for what's next in the series. - I like the simple / uniform design of artwork. Since one knows this is a series, makes you wanna catch them all. - Maybe a cardboard box [flat to expand / form it yourself, for cheap shipping] and a big booklet with photos etc. at the end to complete the set ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Major Carew

Quote from: Theodore on February 24, 2021, 12:44:18 PM
Final Solution - This Way: I tape : 2 long live performances, at the same place, with 2 months distance. 1990-1991. Recording of live at Side A is not of good quality, unfortunately. Sounds like the taper was moving in the space or the tape has degraded over time or equipment couldnt stand the Force. Probably the first. At times sound gets distant, then loud again, till around the half of the set when he finds his place till the end. But again when you listen Side B you understand what Side A could be too ! Side B, has no such problems, and recording does justice the dynamite they are, with its 'mix levels' and details ! They are on fire and offer Great fun ! It's obvious that within these 2 months they got better. Set is a little shorter, more coherent, and generally ... no rest for your ass. - Looking forward for what's next in the series. - I like the simple / uniform design of artwork. Since one knows this is a series, makes you wanna catch them all. - Maybe a cardboard box [flat to expand / form it yourself, for cheap shipping] and a big booklet with photos etc. at the end to complete the set ?

The quality for the first parts of the A side is due to the nature of the recording equipment being a knackered mono reel to reel machine. That's what the liner notes on the master indicate anyway, and why I mentioned it upon release. The rest of the recordings are fine, comparably. The third in the series has the most clarity from what I remember.

Phage in the US will be doing them as a CD set at some point next year as far as i'm aware. Yet to confirm.

Additionally , with regard to photos I think either the CD reissue of Half Dead or this TBC live CD set will include photos.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Worth ‎– Blood Possessed (CDr)

Choked and suffocating electronics. Whatever equipment is used, it sounds like it's all at the end of it's life and barely sputtering to make it through each recording. Expertly crafted dirty and raw sounds. My favorite track title on this release, Fecal Intimidator. This project has always had a way with titles.

Not sure what the process is, but the editing and the way sounds are layered are so unique to Worth. The transitions on the opening track Confucius Says (Lineage Lesions) and Stained County Raw Bio-Chemistry take surprising but effective twists and turns. It sounds like Neanderthal forged electronics later processed through advanced alien technology. What I THINK I heard are some of the basic bare bones of noise: feedback, loops, metal, overdriven guitars at one point, but then crafted into something completely unique from everyone else.

Glad the artist decided to keep this release available and in rotation. Highly recommended!

Decrepitude

Scum - Life Sentence
My first time hearing this project. Right from the start of the record we are thrown in to the sea of sped up computers crashing sounds with chaotic cuts of synthesized sounds. It has that urban city life sounds and visuals amplified kind of feel but I can only take so much of digital delays and oscillators. The second and third track keep the momentum up while adding some needed mid and low distortion and aggression making them some of my favorite parts of this release. Next up is the track with Unsustainable Social Condition that takes the chaos and grit even further. After that it's similar fare although I must commend that there is a very good use of restrain and dynamics on the whole record with some very focused cuts with enough chaos to keep it dangerous and also moments where there is relatively little happening. Especially the seventh track has a nice momentum going making it my favorite single track here. The second to last track is a track done with Government Alpha and unfortunately It's a let down with not much interesting sounds or dynamics, just a gamut of oscillators fighting for their place in the mix. The last piece
Brings back the focus and also has  quite a well composed ending for the whole album. All in all not a perfect album but one that has enough good to great moments to keep it safely on the good side. Further listens might also reveal more details of course.

I didn't have time/interest to listen to the tape that came with the special edition yet so I can't comment on that.

Andrew McIntosh

Fucking loving finally getting the Lille Roger "Undead" set download after months of patient waiting. Really loving the extra material in the form of "My Lucky Day" - longform version of the kind of rhythmic Death Industrial that usually just goes for "normal" track length. I don't know, but I think this was recorded more recently? Could be wrong. The bass sounds great, anyway.

The only distinction I draw between Lille Roger and Brighter Death Now is the latter tended more towards outright noisey PE, at times. But that dark, bleak, despairing mood Karmanik inflicts is the constant.
Shikata ga nai.

W.K.

It's funny how you can write an opinion on a recent listening, and whilst writing or listening for a second time, your opinion changes.

Arditi - Insignia of the Sun (Leidunger, Digital)
After the utmost classic Marching on to Victory and the much less exciting Spirit of Sacrifice I haven't really been following up on Arditi and was surprised there was a new album out! It's been quite a while since their last one, remembering the last few outputs where often a repeat of what already has been done, but with less intensity and conviction, so I just kept going back only to the first album. And now we have a new album!

Not surprisingly, it sounds much like their other output, even so much I think they are still using the same samples from Marching on to Victory, which is from 2003 haha, I don't hear much difference, that's funny. Are these even new tracks or left-overs from the first albums? But more important, is there conviction behind this new material?

Well, I think it sounds much darker than the last few albums from what I remember which is good. Great oppressive military tracks with a sense of oppression and threat, followed up by a good piece of drone, yes I quite like the first part of the album. But after Bloodtheism it becomes more melodic and well, who invited 1940's Walt Disney? It doesn't sound very good. The more melodic stuff is only for a short time though, it goes back to being dark again luckily.

But it sounding so much like their albums from 10 years ago, one has to wonder, why not fatten up those drums? Why not get a little more production on it? Why not get a few new vocal samples? Why do I feel listening to left-overs rather than a fresh new product when the album was finished?

Hey don't get it wrong, I like this, but I also could put on their first album so would to hear how the sound could be pushed further. Also I think after 3 repeats I will be going back to the first album hah, it's still the best.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

burdizzo1

Yeah, and what's with all these digital-only releases Arditi are doing this weather? I couldn't be bothered with those, but I did also pick up 'Bloodtheism' (on Skullline, of all people) and enjoyed it. But, you're right, it's not much of a march forward.

Well, as we're on about dark martial industrial, I think the LP by Soldat, "Totalitarian", deserves a mention. I keep coming back to it: sparse and simple, but as unsettling as anything. A lot of speech samples from - what shall we say? - 1930s figures (!), low hums and bare martial percussion. Oooh, yes! It's on a youngish Italian label, ASRAR, who've released an awful lot of black metal, noise sludge, and p.e. on vinyl over the past couple of years. I think Zyklon SS's first one is forthcoming from them, too. Anyway, good stuff!

impulse manslaughter

Alien Brains - Menial Disorders (40th Anniversary Edition) CD on Klanggalerie; never heard any of their releases but saw the name mentioned many times. So when I saw this reissue announced I quickly ordered a copy. Do not really like the layout for this but the booklet includes a nice, long interview that puts the music into perspective which is great. I never like remasters that are overdone but this could've used a little bit extra power. Low in volume and muffled. There are 7 tracks on the original tape but this CD has many more. There aren't any bonus tracks mentioned on the sleeve so i guess they split up the original pieced into short fragments which doesn't really makes sense to me. Didn't listen online before ordering and somehow I was expecting a mix of TNW and Metgumbnerbone but these sounds are primitive old school industrial pieces which feel like loose ideas for tracks shifting in and out of focus, like a long sound collage. I like some of the material but towards the end of the CD it's getting a little too fragmented for me and I'm loosing interest. I know it's classic stuff and I'm happy to own this but it'll take a couple of more spins to convince me.

impulse manslaughter

Franck Vigroux ‎– Ballades Sur Lac Gelé CD: i used to follow Raster Noton and bought a lot of their releases. After the split-up I didn't really follow Raster anymore but bought this CD after hearing a track online. Vigroux has a lot of releases which I never heard so I started listening with a fresh ear to this and it really blew me away. Great heavy beats with layered synths and some ambient interludes. I didn't buy a lot of beat-orientated stuff lately so can't compare it to similar recent stuff but this somehow seems to fill the entire room. Just a very wide, massive sound. I've been comparing it to some other records I have and the closest thing I could find was Emptyset (who also have a release on Raster Noton). I'm not an expert on mastering so I don't know if it's about using the right mix of frequencies or expanded stereo but the production of this is really awesome and the tracks are build with precision and care. Recommended for these who like rhythmic electronic music.

Andrew McIntosh

Quite enjoying this "Lapdown" release by Junta, a project I only just heard of yesterday. Two long, strong tracks of grimy Harsh Noise from what sounds like object abuse, heavily filtered feedback and probably some synthesiser. Lots of crunch and grind.

EDIT - didn't realise this project was associated with Circle Of Shit.
Shikata ga nai.

W.K.

Listening to some stuff while working some collage stuffs.

The Cherry Point - Live Hell (CD, Troniks)
Phil Blankenship is about to make you his bitch. And I'm willing to be his.

Linecraft - Industrialized Criminals History (Digital, Hospital Productions)
Not sure what to make of this. It's no noise, and honestly I wouldn't even pass it as industrial. Sounds like either a very early "pre-industrial" cassette from the early 80's or an dungeon synth project trying to do industrial. It's not bad, and the amateurish sound has it's charm for sure, but I can't match it with the strong war-like theme in my head. I do like the tile track with it's dropouts quite a bit though, so it's okay I guess, but those drum patterns and melodies are really too easy and simplistic for my liking.

Ekman ‎– A Pastime For Semi Gods (2x12", Bedouin Records)
Great record from a fellow Dutchman! Somewhere between a more techno-y and colourful Demdike Stare and the raw acid from Bunker records, although if you like Tuning Circuits this might also be for you. Slowly evolving melodies, unpolished high-hats and thick acidy basslines, I like it. Now this is quite a clean record and nowhere hard or rugged, so nothing for the Berghain crowd, but more something you could play at a goth party in-between all the new-wave and post-punk.

Standout track is Margin of Error with its slow and overdriven Gabber beats, dark-wave melody and 80's synths to it. Epic!
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Andrew McIntosh

The latest Subklinik release, "Neuroskizm", is four tracks of the usual, which is just what one wants from Subklinik, with the possible exception of "Pulverise", which is a stark, early Industrial drumachine beat with appropriate noises interspersed on top. The synth waves are dark and echo-y, more warm than cold to my ears but that's fine. Thick analog synth tones, Doom slow swells, Death always wins.
Shikata ga nai.

host body

Quote from: W.K. on March 20, 2021, 09:51:05 PM
Linecraft - Industrialized Criminals History (Digital, Hospital Productions)
Not sure what to make of this. It's no noise, and honestly I wouldn't even pass it as industrial. Sounds like either a very early "pre-industrial" cassette from the early 80's or an dungeon synth project trying to do industrial. It's not bad, and the amateurish sound has it's charm for sure, but I can't match it with the strong war-like theme in my head. I do like the tile track with it's dropouts quite a bit though, so it's okay I guess, but those drum patterns and melodies are really too easy and simplistic for my liking.

I hear enough of Chu Ishikawa in this release to think of it as straight up worship. Great release, possibly due to me totally not expecting anything so melodic.

ConcreteMascara

Moozzhead - Beyond Faith cassette - Freak Animal 2020
Exciting to see Mr. Moozz back at it again after 20 years. This is a delightful hit of semi-crunchy, semi-ripping harsh noise. lots of twin channel attack where it seems like two complimentary tracks are playing on either channel. nothing overly edited or complicated, just harsh distorted sounds. I like it! Need to grip the Satatuhatta tape asap.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ConcreteMascara

Autechre - NTS Sessions 8xCD - Warp, 2018 - I had certain ideas about what 8 hrs of Autechre might sound like. Assumptions that it might be impenetrable; overwhelming; aimless; even boring. These ideas were very wrong. Inspired by my recent review of Autechre's entire discography leading up to elseq, I decided to grab this 8 CD set and take the plunge. I'm going slowly, having listened to the first 4 discs over the last two weeks, trying to savor and really enjoy the experience. What I can say is this isn't the impenetrable mess of bleeps, bloops, and MAX/MSP nightmares I though it'd be. These songs are relatively accessible, even when they're constructed out of more "difficult" sounds and structures. And so far the first 4 discs have been very consistent, an impressive feat for the amount of music on offer. For those here who appreciate computer music and haven't heard this, it's definitely worth a listen. I think listening to a lot of Autechre before diving in helped, but like every Autechre album this one has a language all its own. Special mention to Four Of Seven from Session 1, Disc 2, which has got to be one of the funkiest and easily enjoyable tracks Autechre's done since 1998.

Techno Animal - Re-Entry 2xCD - Virgin, 1995 - kind of insane in retrospect that Virgin had an "ambient" series which featured two different albums by Kevin Martin and JK Broadrick as well as a shit load of double CD comps. The '90s weren't all bad! Anyway, this is an album that just finally clicked for me. I've never owned it, just had the files on the HD for ages, occasionally revisiting to see if I liked it any more. Well whatever mental block is gone and I'm just left with one fine album of dubby/breakbeat/illbient stuff that's chill but a little weird, and then an ever better album of dark ambient sounds that remain effortless engaging. Really good late night shit. And if anyone wants to sell me their physical copy drop me a PM.

Scorn - Ellipsis cassette - Scorn Recordings, 1995 - picked up this remix comp a few years ago cheap at a local record store and damn if it isn't some of the best $5 I've spent in ages. I love this era of 1995-1998 when drum 'n' bass wasn't so codified and you had a lot of producers fucking around with d'n'b elements but doing something not quite club ready. Meat Beat Manifesto shows up here to do just that, and P.C.M. and Germ approach things similarly. It's not quite downtempo or illbient or d'n'b. It's maybe half '90s vampire lounge music, half comedown highway driving stuff. But then Coil, Scanner and especially Bill Laswell show up to get really weird with it. It's like an effortless version of what Blackest Ever Black was trying to cultivate when it started a decade ago. Also, the Autechre remix is a great slice of Tri Repetae era funk. Absolute recommendation for this one if you're willing to entertain some tasteful breakbeats with your experimental music. Trust me, it's way better than you'd think.
Edit... meant to mention, if you like this I'd recommend The Perfect Drug remix CD by NIN. It doesn't get to the same experimental depths but it's a nice slice of '90s electronica going from weird drum & bass to a wide open reinterpretation of The Perfect Drug by NIN themselves into goopy ambient techno. Each remix is substantially different from the last so even though it's 5 versions of the same song it doesn't feel like a slog at all.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512