PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Davis

Thanks for the kind words FM & ZM. Glad heads are discovering the sounds.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Mattias Gustafsson - Tapeworks Volume III
https://altarofflies.bandcamp.com/album/tapeworks-volume-iii

I've been aware of the work of Altar of Flies for some time, but never really bothered to check him out properly. I think I assumed it would be Nordvargr-esque industrial with BM aesthetics for something... So I was surprised when my brother who doesn't listen to much noise recommended this release to me. This is right up my street. Loops and tape deftly controlled to make sounds that are atmospheric, harsh, quiet, and loud in perfect balance. Something about the overall effect of this is very bleak, very dirty, very power electronics without really being power electronics. I get the same vibes from this as I do from a lot of my favourite Grunt works even if they are very different artists. I was happy to see how vast the discography available on bandcamp is, I'll be spending some time with this artist for sure.

Altar of Flies - Female
https://altarofflies.bandcamp.com/album/female

After being blown away by the above, I checked this out, as it's the only Altar of Flies I could find on Spotify. I liked this even more- harsher and darker even than the Tapeworks collection. It ends with one of the most disturbing samples I've heard in industrial, I was walking home from the shops in total darkness when I listened to this and was staring straight ahead wondering what the fuck could possibly be happening and not really wanting to know...

God is War - ApexPredator
https://godiswar.bandcamp.com/album/apexpredator-2

I've only got positive things to say about Koufar and Terror Cell Unit, but I think the first time I listened to God Is War it was maybe before the sound became so focused. It was good, harsh, really individual sounding stuff, but maybe not what I was in the mood for that day. Boy am I glad I checked back in. This is absolutely razor sharp, filthy, punchy electronic music. Noisy as fuck, dissonant and glitchy but definitely music, to my ears anyway. Right this second I'm in the process of listening to everything I can under the God Is War moniker. Rarely does a sound so truly live up to the song titles or project title, but this is totally barbaric shit.

NerveGas

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on December 06, 2020, 04:08:33 PM
Altar of Flies - Female

After being blown away by the above, I checked this out, as it's the only Altar of Flies I could find on Spotify. I liked this even more- harsher and darker even than the Tapeworks collection. It ends with one of the most disturbing samples I've heard in industrial, I was walking home from the shops in total darkness when I listened to this and was staring straight ahead wondering what the fuck could possibly be happening and not really wanting to know...

His best that I've heard. The way each sound morphs from one moment to the next is very impressive. Plus it has an absolutely perfect, gross, decayed tape sound and vague, ominous atmosphere of dread. And the end... definitely makes the skin crawl. Powerhouse album.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

Eigen Bast

Beherit - Bardo Exist LP+CD (Kvlt Fi)
https://kvltfinland.bandcamp.com/album/bardo-exist
The latest Beherit record is pure dark ambient. Long drawn out tones, piano, barely audible vocals. Remarkably evocative, with crisp and clean production. This release is more akin to a soundtrack than either of the other electronic Beherit records. The LP comes with a bonus CD that ended up being my favorite material related to this release; pure droning tone with sharp bell tones ringing through. While a far cry from even the energetic electronic music of Electric Doom Synthesis, Bardo Exist rumbles with a brooding and bleak occult atmosphere.

ddmurph

Quote from: NerveGas on December 06, 2020, 06:43:47 PM
Altar of Flies - Female

His best that I've heard. The way each sound morphs from one moment to the next is very impressive. Plus it has an absolutely perfect, gross, decayed tape sound and vague, ominous atmosphere of dread. And the end... definitely makes the skin crawl. Powerhouse album.

It's a while since I listened to it but I always thought the end of Female was a child birth recording? I never got the creeps from this. I put it firmly in the Ron Lessard True Sound of LoveĀ® category (versus, e.g., Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock Asshole/Snail Dilemma).

Recent listening here ...

Micro_Penis - Schlim LP, La Maison de la Justice LP
I love everything they've done but Schlim is probably my favourite of all their output. Usual elements are all there: some trumpet/trombone/accordion (?), banging/clanging, demented vocals, some noisy electronics, some brooding electronics, etc. Manages to sound unhinged but totally together at the same time. Like the rubber cabbage leaf included with the previous LP, Tolvek - makes perfect sense / no sense (why include a rubber cabbage leaf with the LP? why not include a rubber cabbage leaf with the LP?). Easily one of my favourite groups of the past 10 years or so. And the cover art for La Maison de la Justice!? Ha!

Paul Panhuysen - Long String Installations 3LP
Really excellent set of recordings from 1982 - 2017. Very broad range of sounds. Samples at the label site should give a good indication. Beautifully packaged too. One of my favourite Edition Telemarks.

Kiran Arora - Wormwood Scrubs CD
First release I've heard from Kiran Arora. I'm guessing this will appear on a lot of 2020 lists. It's on mine for sure. Excellent album.

Andy Bolus, Joseph Hammer, John Wiese - Prelude to Hawaiian Radio
Dream team hook up ... doesn't disappoint. Another one for the 2020 list here.

NerveGas

Quote from: ddmurph on December 08, 2020, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: NerveGas on December 06, 2020, 06:43:47 PM
Altar of Flies - Female

It's a while since I listened to it but I always thought the end of Female was a child birth recording? I never got the creeps from this. I put it firmly in the Ron Lessard True Sound of LoveĀ® category (versus, e.g., Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock Asshole/Snail Dilemma).

I think that it likely is a recorded birth. The title of the track could also be read as a birth date. But there I am speculating. Regardless I've always found it to be an uneasy listen simply on a sonic level. Additionally, I used the term "vague" in my previous post and I think that a common effect of many samples/sound pieces is a sense of strangeness or vagueness that emerges for no other reason than the sounds  being detached from a visual signifier. The material itself may be fairly innocent or mundane. It is the re-contextualization and absence of certainty that lead to reactions such as this. Regardless great fucking album that gets a lot of play around here. Currently waiting on Auditory Hallucinations to arrive in the mail. Never given that specific tape a listen.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

Fistfuck Masonanie

First release I've heard from Kiran Arora. I'm guessing this will appear on a lot of 2020 lists. It's on mine for sure. Excellent album.

Excellent release, just finally got around to checking it out. Certainly AOTY material. Unique sounds, editing, and really well mastered by Jon Borges. I only have a couple of other releases from the artist, but both the Fever Swamp and Glare tapes are highly recommended.

holy ghost

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 05, 2020, 09:36:03 PM
Crazy Doberman

I really enjoyed the Haunted/Non Haunted LP - I have Hypnagogic Relapse on order and definitely keen to check out more of their stuff. I love a collaborative approach to this. Kind of reminds me (at times) of early 2000 era Wolf Eyes with the delayed sax happening. That's a good thing!!

Soloman Tump

Trou Aux Rats - Le Cloaque Apres La Romance
Roro Perrot project which melds unsettling organ, muddy vocals, deathly reverberations, creepy noises... sudden shifts in volume, abrupt endings, 25 tracks filling 2 CDs.  May just creep into my top albums of the year, really great material.
Purchased direct from http://www.atwarwithfalsenoise.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 09, 2020, 06:14:06 PM

Excellent release, just finally got around to checking it out. Certainly AOTY material. Unique sounds, editing, and really well mastered by Jon Borges. I only have a couple of other releases from the artist, but both the Fever Swamp and Glare tapes are highly recommended.

Also liked and listened few times instantly. I like the environmental recordings thrown into mix here and there. Having noise blasting and then cut into the rain drops (on metal?) and back to noise. Good stuff. There are some KSNK in Finland who did things like this - of course sounding completely unlike Kiran Arora, though.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FallOfNature

Desgranges "New Orgasm Formula"
First listen of their/his new full length. I enjoyed the debut tape a lot so was looking forward to this one. Thematically treads similar ground to some of the other names spoken around lately...necrophilia, misogyny etc. Sounds are far more crisp and distinctive though, not hidden behind a layer of murk as much. More sedated in approach as well, leaving room for the vocals to dominate up front.  Not bad and will get some further listens.

Orcus Inferi "Cold Meat"
old CMI/Slaughter inspired. Like a more active Archon Satani maybe.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FallOfNature on December 14, 2020, 06:21:06 AM
First listen of their/his new full length. I enjoyed the debut tape a lot so was looking forward to this one. Thematically treads similar ground to some of the other names spoken around lately...necrophilia, misogyny etc. Sounds are far more crisp and distinctive though, not hidden behind a layer of murk as much. More sedated in approach as well, leaving room for the vocals to dominate up front.  Not bad and will get some further listens.

I was just listening to a live clip of them on youtube a few days ago.  Excellent project with great vocals.  I will have to look into this tape.

Baglady

GELSOMINA - Waste Oil Recycled Vol. 3 C40 (Abisko, 2005)
This is a good tape. Sounds like sound sources fed through pedals with the knobs set all "wrong". And the way it's done as a whole is just plain weird somehow. Rough noise finding its way, taking strange detours getting there. Staying off the main road. I come to think of Worth at times, but slower, more absent minded and oafish in a positive sense. Or Government Alpha in super slow motion.

SEWER ELECTION - Killing For Norberg C40 (Spanking Ritual, 2007)
Starts with a split channel roar of untamed feedback and a low-end shitstorm. The full spectrum. This lasts for quite a while, and then slowly abates into a bottomless pit of boiling lard, with the occasional eruptions of the former, which lasts for the rest of the tape. Rich soothing layers of earthy crust, drilling feedback and distant electronic psych beams. For being a "live rehearsal" it's pretty damn great, and a slightly different Killing Session. Not saying it HAS to be reissued, but an edition of six is... scarce.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Never heard of this project, just went to check it out. Fucking awesome. If I was to ask for my dream PE project, it would be 'song-length' compositions with a balance between droning/chirping synth sounds and metal/feedback abuse with super up-front vocals, especially with that Dalek-level phaser treatment.

Artwork is also very cool, I love to see paintings as album art in PE/noise https://antipatikrecords.bandcamp.com/album/desgranges-new-orgasm-formula

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on December 14, 2020, 11:28:40 PM

Never heard of this project, just went to check it out. Fucking awesome. If I was to ask for my dream PE project, it would be 'song-length' compositions with a balance between droning/chirping synth sounds and metal/feedback abuse with super up-front vocals, especially with that Dalek-level phaser treatment.

Artwork is also very cool, I love to see paintings as album art in PE/noise https://antipatikrecords.bandcamp.com/album/desgranges-new-orgasm-formula

Check this out too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFGLa-ziSQw  This was the performance I was mentioning above.