PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

The new Bizarre Uproar live tape is really damn good! Been spinning it several times for the past 24hrs.

Also Concrete Mascara live tape is decent.

Niko

Alchemy Of The 21st Century - Beauty Of Aesthetic Imperfection

Has been on constant play for an month already. Perfect music for gloomy spring evenings.

E: Evening/night continues with: Anemone Tube - Dream Landscape CD & Ashley C - Timeless Reality CD.
Those 2 have also gotten many spins this year! I had only heard Ashley C's split with Clo Goelach and Ashley C's side did not really impress me much but this new more concrete approach is simply great. Lots of junk metal soundsources used in an creative way. Perfect!
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

FreakAnimalFinland

That Anemone Tube looks and sounds great. I have actually moved some copies from distro, so appears people do like it, but still could recommend people to check out review at SI#5 and CD from Silken Tofu! Ashley C indeed took big step forward on the CD Freak Animal put out. Originally signed him for 3"CD, with idea that he can do great 20 minutes, but when abandoned idea of 3"CD series, asked to submit full length worth as promo, and it blew me away. Even if someone may say I've put too many of metal junk noise releases lately, no way. I would say this CD takes very different approach from all the rest!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

GEWALTMONOPOL

The Anemone Tube CD is very good. I've moved a good number of it as well. I'm guessing word of mouth about the quality of this release played a part.

The Ashley C CD was a very pleasant surprise which bodes well for the future.

EINLEITUNGSZEIT - L'Accouchement Des Machines Humaines LP

I guess camparisons to Militia are inevitable but this is much better than any Militia release I've ever heard. There are quite a few albums available, is everything as good as this?
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on April 25, 2011, 04:45:13 PM
EINLEITUNGSZEIT - L'Accouchement Des Machines Humaines LP
I guess camparisons to Militia are inevitable but this is much better than any Militia release I've ever heard. There are quite a few albums available, is everything as good as this?

In my opinion, this is the best, and so have said many others, but I wouldn't say any of their stuff is weak. You might especially like some of their other albums with more bassier & deeper sound! This LP you mention, is the only rare one. The rest one can still score from discogs or such place for pretty nice prices.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Maybe a CD reissue on IR is due?

I'm playing Aus Dem Laboratorium: Embryo In Einem Männerglied LP right now and man it's BASSY! Not as good as your LP but still very fucking good!

Human Larvae

I know Auranoise has been mentioned here and there. Also a good recommendation when you like it bassy

Nyodene D

Over the weekend:

Will Over Matter - Might Of The Planet Eater
KENmode - Venerable
Hollow Bones - Crowskins
Sky Burial - Khietan
Deterge - Always Around
Wolvhammer - Black Marketeers Of World War III
Welter In Thy Blood - Through The Fields Of Mourning
Sigur Ros - ( )

This morning:

Sl(A)ng - Life Made Me Hardcore

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on April 25, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
Maybe a CD reissue on IR is due?

I'm playing Aus Dem Laboratorium: Embryo In Einem Männerglied LP right now and man it's BASSY! Not as good as your LP but still very fucking good!

All their stuff was re-issued as CDR by band themselves, but pretty damn crappy 72dpi inkjet graphics. Does very little justice for original vinyl. I think proper CD re-issues would be good. I recall they were also working on new album for Japanese label, but it was already couple years ago when I talked with them.

Zeno Marx

I can't talk about Einleitungszeit without being biased.  Now that Freak Animal is as recognized as it is, reissues on it would likely be the best possible scenario.

I've been working on a CD reissue of Aus der Leichenkammer for several years now.  The original push to take it to CD was to make it louder, and to obviously expose any of the fidelity that was left on the cutting room floor.  It's a very heavy, dense, low-frequency album with some interesting upper dynamics (I think it is far and away the best album from that period of exploring low frequencies).  The main complaint, all along, was that the mastering was too quiet.  It required too much volume knob during playback.  When I'd received the DAT master back in 1996, I only had a few hours, on a single afternoon, to listen to it before sending it off for vinyl mastering and plating.  I thought the vinyl mastering was the reason for the low volume, but in fact, it was originally mastered at a lower volume than normal.  It isn't the vinyl.  It's the master.  After hearing the DAT>CDR transfer, I lost a lot of interest in reissuing it on CD.  A CD version would flush out a bit more sound quality, but not as much as I thought it would.  There are enough vinyl copies out there to handle the demand, and to be honest, after having tens and tens of more listens to compare the LP to the digital master, the vinyl mastering is high quality from a fidelity perspective.  I wasn't always confident in that, but now I am.  I was also once under the false impression that a 2LP would've been better for the material than a single LP.  While probably ultimately so, the material wouldn't have benefited that much from going with a 2LP.  I'd have to check my records, but whoever I had master that record did a fantastic job.  It's definitely the most demanding material I ever released, and they did the master great justice.

The first three cassettes are still my favorite releases from them, but it might not be fair to say they are also at the height of their skill.  A couple of the newest albums are amazing in their own right.  To my ears, the two lowest releases are Kremation Gesch Lechtslos and Aus Dem Laboratorium, the former being the worst of them all.  Everything else is gold.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think there is always place for good albums to be re-issued. Even if there's still copies at reasonable price, one can be sure, there are enough interest for CD format for label to break even. Simply due fact, that not all care for vinyl. They couldn't care less if you can score 2nd hand LP for 15,- from discogs, if they can get CD for 12,- from any distributor of the genre.
There is plenty of vinyl fetishism, but I see plenty of customers who prefer CD.

Tapes are great. I remember the time before internet, when I had the CREW-ZINE magazine, and noticed info about one of their tapes. Ordered it, and pretty much instantly sent invitation to do LP. Tapes, most definitely, would require proper CD re-issues. I have no memories of what format master was, and did it get returned from plant or not, and if band got it back or not. This FA's LP was only made 200 copies, which makes it much more rare than the other vinyl.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Volume levels are noticeably low on your LP Zeno but that is a result of the low end being what it is. Doesn't bother me. The volume can be cranked and it sounds fine.

Zeno Marx

That middle, low-frequency period of Einleitungszeit is best experienced with headphones AND speakers.  There's a lot of minutiae to hear in there, but the low frequencies are great to be felt through the body.  I usually don't care for "headphone" albums, but sometimes you can't avoid it.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

post-morten

Speaking of Einleitungszeit... who came up with the ideas for the cover illustrations, the band members themselves or you guys that put out the albums? Some of them - and Aus der Leichenkammer in particular - always struck me as a bit over-the-top, even for this genre.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: post-morten on April 26, 2011, 09:33:24 PM
Speaking of Einleitungszeit... who came up with the ideas for the cover illustrations, the band members themselves or you guys that put out the albums? Some of them - and Aus der Leichenkammer in particular - always struck me as a bit over-the-top, even for this genre.
Aus der Leichenkammer was them.  I fought it, but the language barrier prevented a solid discussion.  With rMensch, because of Aud der Leichenkammer, they encouraged me to do it all.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.