Special Interest
October 21, 2020, 01:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 536 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 2798460 times)
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #8115 on: October 14, 2020, 03:59:39 AM »

Ballet Rita = OK to bad.

I wonder how many people actually feel this way, as it's very much "judging a book by its cover" mentality vs. the fact that it's The Rita and the sounds only become more obsessed as the aesthetic obsessions deepen.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #8116 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:36 AM »

Got me in the mood...

THE RITA - Living Dead Girl + O.C.D. C60 (self-released, 1998(?))
Not sure if I’ve heard every 1990’s The Rita recording, but Living Dead Girl seems to me to be the first REALLY full on wallish recording of his. It’s great! But O.C.D. is way more interesting to me. The wall tendencies are here, and there’s plenty of ecstatic fullblown noise, but there’s so much more to it. It strikes me now that this sounds alot like Treriksröset (which is a thought that comes full circle considering the bonus tape from the Magazine reissue). The same speaker membrane-bursting bloated bass and red iron-hot feedback, and the sudden weird detours. A varied half hour where he often lets some air in, and has the feedback run it’s course and ring out, morphing and mating with the crackle and hum, only to break the calm again with renewed force. My favorite The Rita, I think.
Bloated Slutbag
Diehard user

« Reply #8117 on: October 15, 2020, 03:49:13 PM »

very slight alterations to original fb post from a few weeks back

Kal – ornament&crime.ornamentasirnusikaltimas
Anyone remember the Lithuanian project naj? One of those PURE RRRecords revelations a la Rend or Zone Nord, coming out of nowhere and completely flooring my ass. Notice how only my ass is mentioned as it rare indeed that I encounter mention of the project. naj, I mean. naj was the principle, gathering together the combined geniuses of Darius Ciuta, Rolandas Cikanavičius and Algis Mielius. The former, Ciuta, I would take for the leader, one who is currently actively* engaged in tapping rich lines in the field recordist / microsound vein. There would definitely be shared airs between naj and the recent Ciuta as far as the very rough organic sounding materials in play. Shambolic at moments, and other moments pure genius, broken, broken down, shattered, clustered, austere, ranging far and wide, getting plenty dense with the layers of gnarled acoustic debris, always interesting, never repeating. This goes for the PURE disc, Resituation Smile, and the entire naj discog in general (what little of it the earholes have imbibed).

PURE issued another excellent naj-related disc in the name of Akala, aka Rolandas Cikanavičius. This one shares the rough organic tendencies of naj, but draws them out into often lush droning pastures to net a kind of industrial strength clunk and grumble through arid gloom chambers. The hulking corpse of heavy industries slowly rotting in distant vistas of corpulent rust.

Which leaves the never-to-be-PURE-realized Kal, courtesy Algis Mielius (with contributions from the other two naj-ers. um, sounds rude somehow). Organic grits deep sunk into sedate fields of viscous ambient drone, breathy shimmers carrying attentions into infinities of sweetest neverland. Sweetest neverland, at least, in comparison to naj. Direct comparison to naj might be found in the sharp metallic drone of the excellent Fixthemeteronthezeroposition, but with the metals dissolved in acrid pools of acid, osmotic vapor trails running along a lengthy piece of wire, dragging drear machine hum into implacable vistas of liquid gray. But wait, leave out the liquescent shades, let’s come back to that wire, cuz it is apparently the principal sound-making implement involved. Draaaaag attention slowly along that narrowest protraction of malleable alloy. Dig into gritty organic kernels studded at uneven intervals along the full and not insignificant stretch. Discover in the many and not-to-be-remarked-upon cracks the barest smidget of noise proper, middling rickety sandpapery scratchings deliciously arching along the periphery, breaking down under oppressive bass-heavy pressures, snuffed into indistinct wafts of argentine gloom. At one point a slow-thudded rhythmic intrusion reminds the listener that the apparently free-floating drift is kept under latch and key. Immersive.

* when I say Ciuta is actively engaged, I mean like, Merzbow level. Check out his shit on archive dot org:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22darius%20ciuta%22

We're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of three (five?) hundred recordings, all I think made in a relatively short space of time. Plus there are all the other official Ciuta releases to be found on various legit labels.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:33:17 AM by Bloated Slutbag » Logged

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #8118 on: October 16, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

This afternoon I'm listening to all Pogrom and Budrūs records I have, you Liberal Cunts.
I've just one question: Where's Levas?

I second this question! It's been years since he was regularly posting and about 3 years since there was consistent label activity.

burdizzo
user

« Reply #8119 on: October 16, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »

He also had a 'zine, and he was supposed to be working on another issue? "Terror", wasn't that it?
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #8120 on: October 16, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »

He also had a 'zine, and he was supposed to be working on another issue? "Terror", wasn't that it?

I think Terror was his - very good material (and he was kind enough to make the interviews available online as well).  If he is working on another issue, that would be great news.
burdizzo
user

« Reply #8121 on: October 16, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »

I think Terror was his - very good material (and he was kind enough to make the interviews available online as well).  If he is working on another issue, that would be great news.

He certainly WAS - a few years ago. He had reviews and at least a couple of interviews completed (one with TxPxR, if I remember right), but it seems he's 'gone to ground', and the third issue of "Terror" will most likely end up not happening at this stage.
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #8122 on: October 16, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »

He certainly WAS - a few years ago. He had reviews and at least a couple of interviews completed (one with TxPxR, if I remember right), but it seems he's 'gone to ground', and the third issue of "Terror" will most likely end up not happening at this stage.

That's a shame, as his zine had a nice blend of big names and totally unknown projects.  Hopefully he will reboot it someday.  I don't remember seeing a second issue, though.  Who was interviewed in it?
burdizzo
user

« Reply #8123 on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »

Issue #2 was dated 2012 (Jesus - was it THAT long ago?!!), and featured IRM, Sick Seed, Jake Vida, Slogun, Dieter Muh, Barrikad, Mikko Aspa, and Impulsy Stetoskopu. In fact, isn't that last name another that's faded away without completing an on-going project (namely 'The Encyclopaedia Of Industrial Music')??
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #8124 on: October 17, 2020, 12:22:47 AM »

Issue #2 was dated 2012 (Jesus - was it THAT long ago?!!), and featured IRM, Sick Seed, Jake Vida, Slogun, Dieter Muh, Barrikad, Mikko Aspa, and Impulsy Stetoskopu. In fact, isn't that last name another that's faded away without completing an on-going project (namely 'The Encyclopaedia Of Industrial Music')??

Thanks, some of those would be really interesting to read.  I will have to hunt down a copy.
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #8125 on: October 17, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »

MATTIAS GUSTAFSSON - Frusen Musik CD (Careful Catalog, 2019)
Listening to some of Mattias’ records remind of my teenage years when I regularly suffered from heavy migraine. No matter how I isolated myself (locked myself up in the most quiet and remote part of the house, turned out the lights and covered my ears and eyes), it didn’t help. Gradually I started to hear more and more sounds, as if my brain little by little amplified every real and imagined sound that went on in our home. Unintelligable noise from radios and tvs, dripping sounds from pipes and taps, buzzing electricity, wood creaking etc. Each and every sound slowly getting louder and louder, moving closer and closer. Like being stuck and strapped in an audial gallery of intrusive sounds. Several Altar Of Flies recordings have the same affect on me, but thankfully without the migraine. Frusen Musik falls into this category as well, and it’s one of his very best albums to date, I think. It has this slow and slightly intoxicated trot to it, which many of his more erie records have, but rarely as perfectly paced as this one. Beautiful packaging too.
accidental
moderate user

« Reply #8126 on: October 18, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »

PGR / Merzbow / Asmus Tietchens - Grav (CD, 1991, Silent)
Easy to pick up cheap. I'm guessing that it was planned as an LP back in the 80's? It's two ~20 mins tracks from 1987-88. Akita recorded his part of metal works in 1987. It's the highlight of this disc for me. Sounds like metal works done in a huge room/space at times. Typical metal works of that time by Akita. Someone said that Akita often crushed his colleagues when he collaborated. This is not the case here. The final mix supposedly done by Tietchens is well done. If you're crazy about any of the players it's worth picking up, otherwise not so much.

Unfortunately the disc does not end there. At the end is a 20 min piece split into four done three years later by Cascone. Using source material from the other two players. You don't hear much of Merzbow on this. Only some electronic stuff that i find very boring. The first part could have been added as an epilogue but after that it goes downhill. This cut sounds completely different from the original material from '88. After multiple spins i'll stop this disc short after two tracks if i ever decide to play it again.

I havent heard anything else be Tietchens and PGR really. What does it sound like? Recommendations? I saw Tietchens live around 2004 i think, and i didn't like it. So i never bothered to check him out. But i guess his early stuff might be alot different? That last track from 1991  does not make me very curious about PGR. But the LP on RRR maybe is different? I haven't heard Thessalonians either...
theworldisawarfilm
user

« Reply #8127 on: October 18, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »

MATTIAS GUSTAFSSON - Frusen Musik CD (Careful Catalog, 2019)
Listening to some of Mattias’ records remind of my teenage years when I regularly suffered from heavy migraine. No matter how I isolated myself (locked myself up in the most quiet and remote part of the house, turned out the lights and covered my ears and eyes), it didn’t help. Gradually I started to hear more and more sounds, as if my brain little by little amplified every real and imagined sound that went on in our home. Unintelligable noise from radios and tvs, dripping sounds from pipes and taps, buzzing electricity, wood creaking etc. Each and every sound slowly getting louder and louder, moving closer and closer. Like being stuck and strapped in an audial gallery of intrusive sounds. Several Altar Of Flies recordings have the same affect on me, but thankfully without the migraine. Frusen Musik falls into this category as well, and it’s one of his very best albums to date, I think. It has this slow and slightly intoxicated trot to it, which many of his more erie records have, but rarely as perfectly paced as this one. Beautiful packaging too.

Have been listening to this one a lot lately. Don't think I've heard anything he's done that I haven't enjoyed immensely but this is for sure a standout.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #8128 on: October 18, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »

I havent heard anything else be Tietchens and PGR really. What does it sound like? Recommendations? I saw Tietchens live around 2004 i think, and i didn't like it. So i never bothered to check him out. But i guess his early stuff might be alot different? That last track from 1991  does not make me very curious about PGR. But the LP on RRR maybe is different? I haven't heard Thessalonians either...
There's a Tietchens thread, and I thought maybe freakanimal started a PGR thread.  Some good collaborations.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Spectral Burn

« Reply #8129 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:00 PM »

Putrefier - Pray For Fire (7", Birthbiter, 1992)

Finally digging into this nasty little slab after waiting months for it to arrive (from Montreal, at that). Disclaimer: It's REAL good.

The title track is a Broken Flag-esque piece of Power Electronics, with that unmistakable Durgan whine riding high above the festivities. Metal is scraped, stereo fields are messed with, and Tony Di Franco sneaks in to do something. Is that his drum machine?
 Having only heard Body Hole (Meat Rack) via the sub-par YouTube rip, I'd always assumed that it was an unprocessed factory recording. I can definitely hear manipulation/human interaction happening on this listen, though.

I really need to track down some more Putrefier works. Industrial Recollections did a reissue of the Cog Dominance tape a few years back. Let's hope that these recordings finally get some wider recognition.

S•Core - Morbid Moppets (C46, Afflict Records/Trinity Production, 1986)

Your favourite noise dude's favourite noise dude.

I often think of Yutaka Tanaka as THE quintessential experimental musician. Ever-evolving, never afraid to change his sound up (often from track-to-track), yet always unmistakably sounding like S•Core.
 This tape serves up five VERY different slabs of industrial nastiness, starting with "The Afterimage", a sidelong slowburn of scraped metal, singing bowls, and gut-rumbling sub bass.
 The B-side diverts into the beatshit side of things, especially with the near-EBM of "Reddish-Black". The exception is "Sutra", nearly twelve minutes of DEEP, frigid drones.

Unfortunately, Tanaka has all but disappeared from the scene over the last two decades, though there have been talks of recent correspondence from a select few. Frequent enough Star Wars conventions, and you may come across the man in his natural habitat.

C.C.C.C. - Amplified Crystal II (C90, Endorphine Factory, 1993)

C.C.C.C.'s Ummagumma?

A-side is a nearly 45 minute remix of the original Amplified Crystal LP by Akifumi Nakajima. My favourite recording from the Control Center. Aube's touch really opens the mix up and allows for some of the more buried tones to shine.
 The B-side is a different monster entirely. Each member gets their own solo track, before ending in a gorgeous full-group flare up.
 Hiroshi's piece sounds like Astro, Kosakai's track is definitely not an Alvin Lucier cover, Mayuko's is all beautiful electronic screech n' wash, not too dissimilar from the much later Lunisolar CD, and secret weapon Nagakubo's "Phallus" is a throbber.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 538 539 540 541 [542] 543
  Print  

Jump to: