PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

outside all the industrial metal...

Moduretik - Jizvy Minulosti 2013 - I wasn't in the mood for this, but I tried it because of a recommendation.  Listened to the entire thing.  Really well done gothic, vintage, minimalist synth with a little Kraftwerk in the shadows.  Maybe this is darkwave?  Dark and engaging writing with a great, damp-cold-stone atmosphere.  It's like walking back in time forty years.  Is this guy well known in this style?  He's good.

VA - Collection of Biologic Waste / Be Infected... 1997 - here's a tape compilation from the late 90's made available for free via bandcamp - I grabbed it for a never-heard Einleitungszeit track, but it ended up being a perfect follow up to Moduretik.  Some styles fall outside my purview, but they're all done well to my ears.  Again, thoroughly engaging.  And it feels like listening to an old cassette comp.  Morbid Fancy really grabbed my attention with "Sub Auspicis (Exclusive)", which sounds like something off Endvra's Dark is Light Enough album.  Ľahká Múza reminded me of more crude, more experimental, less confined Lisa Gerrard.  I don't know if that is it, either.  Something very familiar about it.

two releases perfect for October and the season.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Baglady

MO*TE / A FAIL ASSOCIATION - Fuck You That's Why C20 (Dada Drumming)
A little freebie from The American in Köln (thanks!!). The resurrected Mo*Te has been hit or miss for me. Hard to say where to place this. Two short very abrasive drone pieces, with humming electronics, deep tones writhing in a soup of crackle and crunch. Great sounding, but it isn't really given the chance to lead anywhere. The man's just getting warmed up and then it's over! But this is definitely Mo*Te in tip top form. Hope to hear longer works from him where he elaborates these ideas more.
AFA spends his ten minutes very well. Material from 2002, mixed in April 2020. Muddy meaty americanoise, with all the signs of a classic cut; blown out crunch, wild split channel crossfire outburts interrupted by sudden centered drilling, untamed feedback whipping all over the spectrum. Awesome from start to finish, but I think he has developed a thing more of his own today than he had back in 2002. This stuff never gets old though. Great wholesome entertainment! Nice little tape.

Spectral Burn

Quote from: Baglady on October 09, 2020, 11:06:54 PM
Quote from: New Forces on October 09, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Decesh is one of my favorites in the Hands To discography, and it's for that precise reason - the longer drone pieces that verge on almost melodic content. There's a similar track on Christage as well.

Christage is a favorite of mine as well. And speaking of that Sound Of Pig trilogy, I think Mose Wreck has a similar sidelong hypnotic piece, if I recall correctly. I'll have to revisit. Can't imagine I'll stumble upon these old BBP releases anytime soon, but good to know there's more of the "almost drone" thing that early on in the Hands To discography.

WORTH - Roosting In Death-Sized Horn CDR (Prose Nagge, 2020
Some sinister backwoods witchery going on here. Swampy wet venomous spitting noise. Headless hens running amok, eyes spinning backwards, nails, frogs, altars, crazy sex and all that. A voodoo seance gone terribly wrong. Lunacy. He's more harsh than usual on this one, mr Van Gorder, and rather straight forward. The trademark bent and mishandled sounds are still present though, and as usual, it sounds as if he's trying to flush down all his gear in the toilet. Sluuuurp. One of this years highlights this far, no doubt. Also looking forward to the Oculus 2CD. Hope to see a new full length on vinyl soon though!

The label that put out the "Rough Music" box, Forced Nostalgia, has a bunch of early Hands To tapes (including the SOP releases) up digitally on their Bandcamp. The Nostalgie De La Boue blog also has a ton of (free!) official downloads of tapes that not even Jeph himself has the masters to.

Hands To - Oldage (C90, Big Body Parts, 1989)

A sonic approximation of Pangaea splitting apart.

What the hell, Jeph. I seriously can't pin down a single sound on this nearly hour-and-a-half long tape. There are clangs, rumbles, and at times gorgeous ringing tones all buried under layer after layer of magnetic sediment (the tape was recorded using "ancient equipment" after all). But good luck properly identifying what exactly is happening.
"Subterfuge" is over 45 minutes of the previously mentioned sounds, eventually reaching levels of tape saturation that would make The Skaters cry.
The B-side is very similar in tone/structure, though the sound varies a bit over the four tracks. Of note is "Gamelon", a gorgeous piece of archaic "gongs" & "chimes".

This was one of my more sought-after HT tapes, and goddamn, it didn't disappoint.
For best results, play loudly inside your local crypt/mausoleum.

Anal Sadist - Austere (C?, Frank Booth Cassettes, 1989)

Damn. Finally managed to track something down from this obscure-ass project. Definitely gonna need a few more listens to digest before I can speak on it further.

Having only been familiar with the project via the PHENOMENAL live performance on the Pain Factory DVD (featuring AMK!), I expected warped, sample-laden psychedelic stuff.
Instead, I was hit with repetitive, bass-heavy industrial noise.
The B-side is significantly more active, with all manner of scratchy tones riding loopy "beats".

A huge thank you has to go to Jim Haynes for getting this to me. Here's to hoping I can track down the Shotgun Head/Chaw tape soon.
The cover is a major dookie alert, so it won't be getting posted here.

AMK/GX - Two Mixed-Up Guys (C60, Banned Production, ????)

Hey, this isn't AMK or GX at all! This is a killer compilation featuring Chop Shop, Speculum Fight, Con-Dom, Evil Moisture, Randy Greif, Gen Ken Montgomery, and Tadpole (in one of only two known recorded appearances!) reworking material from the Two ____ Guys series.

I swear that this comp was made specifically for me. Some all-time favourite projects all on one strand of magnetism.
Chop Shop's piece may be his most cut-up. Even moreso than Tension-Charge-Discharge.
Tadpole (occasional Sudden Infant associate) turns in a strange little synth-pop tune. Occasional GX crash-bang interjections cut through the mix. Like a female Pascal Comelade collabing with a car accident.
Con-Dom is nearly "ambient". Evil Moisture turns the fellas into tape spew. Speculum Fight's roomtone duets continues to blow my mind, Gen Ken messes with a couple of recorders. Randy Greif gets yelled at by a bus driver. I grin like an idiot.

A special shoutout MUST go to Elden M. for getting this into my grubby mitts (and for being the most exceedingly friendly guy this odd little subsect of sound has ever produced). Please, keep the man busy and grab something from him. He has a ton of rare stuff (including old ACL tapes) available for often excellent prices.

Fistfuck Masonanie

The Rita - Shark at Knife Pointe (Troniks)

I don't want to go into some in-depth review of the material as Chris Sienko has very well thought out notes and analysis. I want to more emphasize how this release has re-shaped some of my pre-conceived notions of The Rita's later material. I honestly hesitated to pick this up per my perception of a weight on "ballet and nylon stocking" based material. I think many of us feel, at least I am projecting my own previous perceptions that, Shark Rita = good and Ballet Rita = OK to bad.

I honestly grabbed this thinking, well at least I will have Milicent Patrick and Shark Knifing finally and everything else is bonus or whatever to, I can't believe I've written off so much material I could have been previously enjoying. Some of the transitions between "shark" material into "female body worship" is almost seamless and ties it all together for me. Especially from a release like Shooting Sharks into Dark Eyebrow Angled and THEN into what is now a new favorite of mine, Female Statuesque (Female Titans).

I think all of the styles represented in bite-sized pieces also helps immensely. This is a perfect overview of the artist's work and I'm enjoying it from start to finish which I truly didn't think I would when I made the purchase. This will have me revisiting some more recent materials I blindly skipped.

Side note: The recent U.S. Tour split tape material on Foul Prey combines all styles, past and present, well in my opinion.

*I tried to quickly search for that somewhat recent doc on Sam and his approach to source material / finding the right textures, but failed. If anyone knows what I'm referring to and can provide a link, much appreciated.

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on October 14, 2020, 04:23:23 AM

*I tried to quickly search for that somewhat recent doc on Sam and his approach to source material / finding the right textures, but failed. If anyone knows what I'm referring to and can provide a link, much appreciated.
Film embedded here: https://www.bynwr.com/expressway-article/tights-worship

absurdexposition

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on October 14, 2020, 04:23:23 AM
Ballet Rita = OK to bad.

I wonder how many people actually feel this way, as it's very much "judging a book by its cover" mentality vs. the fact that it's The Rita and the sounds only become more obsessed as the aesthetic obsessions deepen.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Baglady

Got me in the mood...

THE RITA - Living Dead Girl + O.C.D. C60 (self-released, 1998(?))
Not sure if I've heard every 1990's The Rita recording, but Living Dead Girl seems to me to be the first REALLY full on wallish recording of his. It's great! But O.C.D. is way more interesting to me. The wall tendencies are here, and there's plenty of ecstatic fullblown noise, but there's so much more to it. It strikes me now that this sounds alot like Treriksröset (which is a thought that comes full circle considering the bonus tape from the Magazine reissue). The same speaker membrane-bursting bloated bass and red iron-hot feedback, and the sudden weird detours. A varied half hour where he often lets some air in, and has the feedback run it's course and ring out, morphing and mating with the crackle and hum, only to break the calm again with renewed force. My favorite The Rita, I think.

Bloated Slutbag

very slight alterations to original fb post from a few weeks back

Kal – ornament&crime.ornamentasirnusikaltimas
Anyone remember the Lithuanian project naj? One of those PURE RRRecords revelations a la Rend or Zone Nord, coming out of nowhere and completely flooring my ass. Notice how only my ass is mentioned as it rare indeed that I encounter mention of the project. naj, I mean. naj was the principle, gathering together the combined geniuses of Darius Ciuta, Rolandas Cikanavičius and Algis Mielius. The former, Ciuta, I would take for the leader, one who is currently actively* engaged in tapping rich lines in the field recordist / microsound vein. There would definitely be shared airs between naj and the recent Ciuta as far as the very rough organic sounding materials in play. Shambolic at moments, and other moments pure genius, broken, broken down, shattered, clustered, austere, ranging far and wide, getting plenty dense with the layers of gnarled acoustic debris, always interesting, never repeating. This goes for the PURE disc, Resituation Smile, and the entire naj discog in general (what little of it the earholes have imbibed).

PURE issued another excellent naj-related disc in the name of Akala, aka Rolandas Cikanavičius. This one shares the rough organic tendencies of naj, but draws them out into often lush droning pastures to net a kind of industrial strength clunk and grumble through arid gloom chambers. The hulking corpse of heavy industries slowly rotting in distant vistas of corpulent rust.

Which leaves the never-to-be-PURE-realized Kal, courtesy Algis Mielius (with contributions from the other two naj-ers. um, sounds rude somehow). Organic grits deep sunk into sedate fields of viscous ambient drone, breathy shimmers carrying attentions into infinities of sweetest neverland. Sweetest neverland, at least, in comparison to naj. Direct comparison to naj might be found in the sharp metallic drone of the excellent Fixthemeteronthezeroposition, but with the metals dissolved in acrid pools of acid, osmotic vapor trails running along a lengthy piece of wire, dragging drear machine hum into implacable vistas of liquid gray. But wait, leave out the liquescent shades, let's come back to that wire, cuz it is apparently the principal sound-making implement involved. Draaaaag attention slowly along that narrowest protraction of malleable alloy. Dig into gritty organic kernels studded at uneven intervals along the full and not insignificant stretch. Discover in the many and not-to-be-remarked-upon cracks the barest smidget of noise proper, middling rickety sandpapery scratchings deliciously arching along the periphery, breaking down under oppressive bass-heavy pressures, snuffed into indistinct wafts of argentine gloom. At one point a slow-thudded rhythmic intrusion reminds the listener that the apparently free-floating drift is kept under latch and key. Immersive.

* when I say Ciuta is actively engaged, I mean like, Merzbow level. Check out his shit on archive dot org:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22darius%20ciuta%22

We're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of three (five?) hundred recordings, all I think made in a relatively short space of time. Plus there are all the other official Ciuta releases to be found on various legit labels.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: cr on October 10, 2020, 01:35:19 PM
This afternoon I'm listening to all Pogrom and Budrūs records I have, you Liberal Cunts.
I've just one question: Where's Levas?

I second this question! It's been years since he was regularly posting and about 3 years since there was consistent label activity.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

burdizzo

He also had a 'zine, and he was supposed to be working on another issue? "Terror", wasn't that it?

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo on October 16, 2020, 04:53:27 PM
He also had a 'zine, and he was supposed to be working on another issue? "Terror", wasn't that it?

I think Terror was his - very good material (and he was kind enough to make the interviews available online as well).  If he is working on another issue, that would be great news.

burdizzo

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 16, 2020, 06:51:26 PM

I think Terror was his - very good material (and he was kind enough to make the interviews available online as well).  If he is working on another issue, that would be great news.

He certainly WAS - a few years ago. He had reviews and at least a couple of interviews completed (one with TxPxR, if I remember right), but it seems he's 'gone to ground', and the third issue of "Terror" will most likely end up not happening at this stage.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo on October 16, 2020, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 16, 2020, 06:51:26 PM

He certainly WAS - a few years ago. He had reviews and at least a couple of interviews completed (one with TxPxR, if I remember right), but it seems he's 'gone to ground', and the third issue of "Terror" will most likely end up not happening at this stage.

That's a shame, as his zine had a nice blend of big names and totally unknown projects.  Hopefully he will reboot it someday.  I don't remember seeing a second issue, though.  Who was interviewed in it?

burdizzo

Issue #2 was dated 2012 (Jesus - was it THAT long ago?!!), and featured IRM, Sick Seed, Jake Vida, Slogun, Dieter Muh, Barrikad, Mikko Aspa, and Impulsy Stetoskopu. In fact, isn't that last name another that's faded away without completing an on-going project (namely 'The Encyclopaedia Of Industrial Music')??

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo on October 16, 2020, 11:39:55 PM
Issue #2 was dated 2012 (Jesus - was it THAT long ago?!!), and featured IRM, Sick Seed, Jake Vida, Slogun, Dieter Muh, Barrikad, Mikko Aspa, and Impulsy Stetoskopu. In fact, isn't that last name another that's faded away without completing an on-going project (namely 'The Encyclopaedia Of Industrial Music')??

Thanks, some of those would be really interesting to read.  I will have to hunt down a copy.